Notices

09 Always-On Rear View Camera

Old 01-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #181
waheed is on a distinguished road

Name: Waheed
waheed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aalders View Post
Note:This mod is for the Independent operation of the rear view camera from the Reverse position of the transmission.

I finally got the time to sit down and finish this mod. so here it is from start to finish.

First thing i did was remove the peace of trim that goes over the connector for the mirror.

here is what it looks like.

then you need to disconnect the mirror. notice the first row of wires. wire 1 (green), wire 2 (wight), and wire 3 (red). you will be tapping into wire 1 for your +12v and then use the switch to feed the power to wire 3.

this is the switch i used. i picked it up from Radio Shack for around $3. Notice that it has three posts on the back side. post 1 is for input #1, post 2 is the common (or the output to the mirror), and post 3 is input #2. your splice into wire 1(green) goes to ether post 1 or 3 depending on what position you want your switch to be in when your camera is always on. when you cut wire 3 (red) the lead that goes to the clip is soldered to post 2 (because that goes directly to the mirror). last you put the other end of wire 3 (red) to the last post (1 or 3 depending on what post is left after you connect wire 1 (green) to the switch)

this is my extensions i added to the switch

I soldered all three wires on then used shrink tube to ensure they didn't short

this is the splice into wire 1 (green). i used a phone line tap from Radio Shack. Note: if you are not familiar with these there is no need to strip the green wire or the wire your using to tap off of wire 1. these wire taps cut into the isolation just enough to do the job and they do it well.

here is what it looks like after all the wiring is finished. i used small crimp connectors to tie in the red wires. i also got these at Radio Shack.

my next step was to drill the hole for the switch and the notch for the plate that keeps the switch orientated in the right direction.

the last thing to do is install it!

PM me with your email if you want a Video of it working... i cant figure out how to put it on here.

here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y2O9MDViSU

in position #1 the switch functions like its not even there, it turns on the camera when the car is in reverse. in position #2 it functions as a always on feature for the camera so e manthat it will operate while in drive, neutral, park... whatever
Very nice man, wondering what gauge wire you used?! 18 AWG I got should be good huh, and the extra wire you sautered to the swith, how long are they??

thanks
Jag
Old 03-16-2013, 04:55 AM   #182
Tuckaseetacoma is on a distinguished road
Army: Parhfinder
Name: Gary
Tuckaseetacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Note:This mod is for the Independent operation of the rear view camera from the Reverse position of the transmission.

I finally got the time to sit down and finish this mod. so here it is from start to finish.

First thing i did was remove the peace of trim that goes over the connector for the mirror.

then you need to disconnect the mirror. notice the first row of wires. wire 1 (green), wire 2 (wight), and wire 3 (red). you will be tapping into wire 1 for your +12v and then use the switch to feed the power to wire 3.

this is the switch i used. i picked it up from Radio Shack for around $3. Notice that it has three posts on the back side. post 1 is for input #1, post 2 is the common (or the output to the mirror), and post 3 is input #2. your splice into wire 1(green) goes to ether post 1 or 3 depending on what position you want your switch to be in when your camera is always on. when you cut wire 3 (red) the lead that goes to the clip is soldered to post 2 (because that goes directly to the mirror). last you put the other end of wire 3 (red) to the last post (1 or 3 depending on what post is left after you connect wire 1 (green) to the switch)

this is the splice into wire 1 (green). i used a phone line tap from Radio Shack. Note: if you are not familiar with these there is no need to strip the green wire or the wire your using to tap off of wire 1. these wire taps cut into the isolation just enough to do the job and they do it well.

here is what it looks like after all the wiring is finished. i used small crimp connectors to tie in the red wires. i also got these at Radio Shack.

my next step was to drill the hole for the switch and the notch for the plate that keeps the switch orientated in the right direction.

PM me with your email if you want a Video of it working... i cant figure out how to put it on here.

here it is:

in position #1 the switch functions like its not even there, it turns on the camera when the car is in reverse. in position #2 it functions as a always on feature for the camera so that it will operate while in drive, neutral, park... whatever
Awesome write up!
Ever think of being a teacher?

I'm going to RadioShack as soon as it opens today!
Hope I don't fuck anything up
Old 03-18-2013, 12:38 AM   #183
Tuckaseetacoma is on a distinguished road
Army: Parhfinder
Name: Gary
Tuckaseetacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

here it is:

in position #1 the switch functions like its not even there, it turns on the camera when the car is in reverse. in position #2 it functions as a always on feature for the camera so that it will operate while in drive, neutral, park... whatever
Did the mod ! Works great!

Just be careful once the switch. Is connected the ends are fragile and will snap off if you are not carefull
Old 04-04-2013, 05:14 PM   #184
Mookee is on a distinguished road
Name: Evan
Mookee's Tacoma Gallery
subd
Old 04-21-2013, 10:39 AM   #185
NorCalTaco33 is on a distinguished road

Name: Ronnie
NorCalTaco33's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome MOD! Any idea if this will work with a 2012?
Old 04-21-2013, 02:05 PM   #187
the logical one
fixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
fixer5000's Tacoma Gallery
it is a great mod. i wonder though how long will the camera and the display last if its on all the time?? anyone know?
Old 04-21-2013, 02:11 PM   #188
I phucking hate people >:(
ink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 1st Civ Div
Name: TACO LOVER
ink junky's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixer5000 View Post
it is a great mod. i wonder though how long will the camera and the display last if its on all the time?? anyone know?

I was wondering the same thing.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:15 PM   #189
khx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

khx73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixer5000 View Post
There is a 5 minute timeout on the screen in the mirror. At least, for the screens that are for the camera ONLY. The newer ones seem to have the little mirror screen on all the time anyway, for the temp and compass display.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:32 AM   #190
Raging Dunkay
SpruceJPG is on a distinguished road

Name: .JPG
SpruceJPG's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the write up. If its below 100 degrees this weekend, I may give it a go.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:55 PM   #191
Bob Lob Law
ComeAndTakeIt is one of the sharper tools in the shedComeAndTakeIt is one of the sharper tools in the shedComeAndTakeIt is one of the sharper tools in the shedComeAndTakeIt is one of the sharper tools in the shedComeAndTakeIt is one of the sharper tools in the shedComeAndTakeIt is one of the sharper tools in the shedComeAndTakeIt is one of the sharper tools in the shedComeAndTakeIt is one of the sharper tools in the shedComeAndTakeIt is one of the sharper tools in the shedComeAndTakeIt is one of the sharper tools in the shedComeAndTakeIt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
ComeAndTakeIt's Tacoma Gallery
Just finished it up this weekend!!! Super easy!!

Tips
1) If you solder the wires together in the truck (no crimp) donít mount the top mounting tabs
2) RadioShack makes a STDP locking push button that would be awesome!! I will probably be switching to it later!
3) A little silicone works wonders if you melt off one of the top mounting tabs and the cover wonít stay on very long! lol

Yeah I need to clean my mirror now lol
Old 08-09-2013, 03:58 PM   #193
invertedAv8r is a jewel in the roughinvertedAv8r is a jewel in the roughinvertedAv8r is a jewel in the roughinvertedAv8r is a jewel in the rough
invertedAv8r's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome!

Just completed this. THANKS!!
I routed the switch to a blank plate between the A-Trac and Aux plug.
Your instructions were perfect and completely idiot proof, as I just proved
Cheers
Old 10-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #195
Froman1136 is on a distinguished road
Froman1136's Tacoma Gallery
BTW this still works great. Installed on my 2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:20 AM   #196
bdb3011 is on a distinguished road
Name: Brandon
bdb3011's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
a better question is why wouldn't you want this.
I carry my dirt bike on a hitch rack quite a bit. It's nice to be able to see that all is well after I hit a bit dip in the road or something...

Also, It's nice to have the rear view if you're moving backward but not in reverse. Like if you're turning around on a narrow dirt road and using the bank, gravity, and your clutch to go backward instead of reverse.

I love the mod! Very useful !
Old 11-17-2013, 08:03 PM   #197
QuickOK is on a distinguished road
Name: Daniel
QuickOK's Tacoma Gallery
I did this mod to my 2010 Tacoma. Wiring is the same. However, my mirror turns off after like 5-10 minutes from switching on. A quick normal mode back to always on fixes that. That's a tight squeeze with that switch. I ended up having to drill the main 1/4" hole and support hole on the passenger side of the molding to regain some clearance.

Things I should add from doing this mod.

1. If you're going to solder the connections, do it before starting to connect the switch to the wires unless you'd like an endurance workout.

2. Strip your wires first before starting to splice them... it's a tight space for wire strippers let alone needle nose pliers w/ strippers built-in.

3. Make extensions if you can. You have but one wiring harness. The wires are very thin but sturdy. Strip the ends and add extra wire in case you mess up. If you're going to be using quick disconnect/connect connectors. Use insulated (meaning there is plastic covering the connector (if you're not going to be using electrical tape or heat shrink tubing)) connectors with the female side on the 12+ provider side. That way if for some reason it disconnects, you're safe from a short, etc...

Thanks for the write up.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:41 PM   #198
ramonortiz55 is just really niceramonortiz55 is just really niceramonortiz55 is just really niceramonortiz55 is just really nice

Name: Ramon
ramonortiz55's Tacoma Gallery
I am doing this soon.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:24 PM   #199
TTownJoe is on a distinguished road
Name: Joe
TTownJoe's Tacoma Gallery
My 2014 has the camera in the center console using the Entune screen. Anyone open this up to see if the wiring is the same?
Old 06-11-2014, 10:45 AM   #200
Z E R 0 is a glorious beacon of lightZ E R 0 is a glorious beacon of lightZ E R 0 is a glorious beacon of lightZ E R 0 is a glorious beacon of lightZ E R 0 is a glorious beacon of light
Z E R 0's Tacoma Gallery
Subs