1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

09 Always-On Rear View Camera

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Aalders, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Aug 2, 2009 at 5:15 PM
    AFButters

AFButters Rigger, Please!!

Member:
    First Name:
    "Butters"
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2008 335xi BMW
    damn.. only if i knew how to Solder... :(

2. Aug 2, 2009 at 5:25 PM
    TicTacOma

TicTacOma UnderWater Monopoly Champion

Member:
    First Name:
    Anastatia Beaverhausen
    Columbia,SC
    Vehicle:
    I'm Thinking...Oh Yeah...An FJ
    It's all in my head at the moment...
    "Use the Force Luke", better known as the internet.Teach yourself, Soldering irons are cheap. Practice soldering two points between a battery (C/D cell) and a small light bulb (flashlight)

Make the connections so the bulb lights up, or get an old radio at a yard sale and take it apart, unsolder some of the points and then solder it back up. Nothing to loose and plenty to gain.

Hyperbarics likes this.
  3. Nov 4, 2009 at 1:59 PM
    T0LLPHR33

T0LLPHR33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S1N C1TY...(from Hilo, HI)...
    Vehicle:
    BSP TRD Off-Road
    APR X-1 | TRD CAI w/Clear Cover | TRD Short Shifter w/ TRD "RED" Shift Knob | SGII w/Blendmount| Snugtop SL w/KeyLess Entry | 5% Tint | Pop-n-Lock | Bosch Icon WB | S2K Antenna | HRM | LS 8K Projectors w/BSP HLM & 8K Fogs w/FLM | Debadged |Tinted Tails | Black Weathertechs | MX RGM & RBM | Optima Red Top 35 | Gatorback Belt |
    that's bad ass bro...nice job on the mod...

this is definitely on my to do list...:)

4. Nov 6, 2009 at 7:39 AM
    Aalders

Aalders [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    Dover, Delaware
    Vehicle:
    2009 Double Cab TRD off road
    Pop-n-Lock Tlailgate handle, TSB Rear Leafs, 12V bed outlet, Back up camera in mirror mod, Roof Rack, TRD Exhaust, Front Skid Plate, Running Boards, 4 100w KC SlimLites, Westin brush guard, Fog lights in the bed pockets, extra D rings in the bed, Fog light mod, seat belt chime mod, 75,000 candlepower StreamLight rechargeable flashlight
    Thanks man. I like it even better now that i installed my Pop-n-Lock tailgate hande, now it sits a bit higher and i get a better viewing angle.

5. Nov 6, 2009 at 9:14 AM
    Buzzoff

Buzzoff Don't go ninja'in nobody don't need ninja'in

Member:
    The Nickel/5th Ward
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma DC TRD Speedway Blue
    Blacked out windows, 5100's@1.75", KMC XD Hoss795 16x8
    Does it still automatically turn on when you place the truck in reverse or does it now only turn on when you flip the switch? Great job BTW

6. Nov 6, 2009 at 9:52 AM
    Aalders

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    Dover, Delaware
    Vehicle:
    Pop-n-Lock Tlailgate handle, TSB Rear Leafs, 12V bed outlet, Back up camera in mirror mod, Roof Rack, TRD Exhaust, Front Skid Plate, Running Boards, 4 100w KC SlimLites, Westin brush guard, Fog lights in the bed pockets, extra D rings in the bed, Fog light mod, seat belt chime mod, 75,000 candlepower StreamLight rechargeable flashlight
    runs like normal (turns on when you go into reverse, and off when not) with switch in pos #1 and in pos #2 it is on in any gear.

7. Nov 6, 2009 at 10:23 AM
    jefferson

jefferson needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    San Diego (North Park!), CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
    thats a great idea! if i had an 09-10 i'd do it.. just to have it. I dont like not having full control over everything in my car.. (issues maybe??) ;)

8. Nov 7, 2009 at 4:35 PM
    bass mechanic

bass mechanic Well-Known Member

Member:
    colorado springs, colorado
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma Access cab TRD offroad in black
    none
    you might want to verify this but i believe your method will also turn the backup lights on when you flip the toggle. you would need to install a diode to prevent this.
    and FWIW the read view camera is so small and worthless for anything but backing up and hitching a trailer i dont really see the point.

9. Nov 7, 2009 at 6:22 PM
    BSP4x4

BSP4x4 Guest

i disagree! i think it would be nice to be able to see the tow hitch while driving. just to check up on it! and some times i back up on a hill just by putting it in N and rolling. i'd like to see the camera then.

10. Nov 8, 2009 at 5:12 PM
    Aalders

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    Dover, Delaware
    Vehicle:
    no other lights come on when the switch is turned on.

11. Nov 9, 2009 at 7:37 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Depends on how you wire it. If you use a SPST switch and just add the power directly to the red-wire circuit, you will trigger the R and backup lights since your energizing the entire stock circuit.

If you use a SPDT switch, with one circuit being the stock circuit, and the second switch position being where you apply power only to the mirror's red circuit, then no backup lights since the stock red circuit is disconnected from the energized mirror end.

Also, I have the parts but have not done this yet, but could have used it this weekend when pulling some hedges out from my yard. I was close enough that I could not see the hedge and chain when pulling away. Would have been nice to be able to see when the chain tensioned up. Yes, doable without it, but would have been useful.

12. Nov 16, 2009 at 5:55 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Just made the mod this weekend, works great. Thanks to all who contributed. It took me more time to solder the lead wire connections to the mini-switch than it took to do the mod itself.

A couple of pointers though. First, there are two red wires in the wire bundle going to the mirror. Actually three, but one goes to the camera feed and it's easy to pick that one out as it's part of a three wire bundle by itself. You need to read the OPs directions well as it states which red wire you need. I assumed their could only be one red wire and I'd be able to figure it out easily. Had to go back and re-read the OP to straighten myself out.

I used a mini SPDT switch in the mirror trim piece, like the OP, but tapped into the wiring behind the overhead console, like one of the subsequent posters.

Radio Shack has quite a few different SPDT switches to choose from. Make sure you look through all the switches and not just the ones marked "Automotive" as they all should work.

13. Nov 16, 2009 at 2:26 PM
    AlerAero

AlerAero Equipment MFG

Member:
    Northern Vermont
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma V6 SR5 4x4
    BakFlip Folding Tonneau, Locking bed storage compartments, Bug/rock guard, Anytime backup cam mod, Hitch + wiring
    It works, thats great. So how do ya like it so far? Oh and your welcome! LOL I can here it now!! Um WHY? Cause I'm the one that posed the info about a different spot to tap into. Just happy to hear my info was usefull.

Take care and anjoy..

14. Nov 17, 2009 at 5:43 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Your welcome, ooops, thanks! :p Yup, it was all good. OP's switch and location; your wiring location, and even the same type of taps.

So far I haven't directly needed it, just messing with it, but works great. Interesting view when moving down the highway, almost makes you dizzy :) Could have used it a couple weeks ago when I was pulling out some hedges and could have used it to see when the chain was getting tight.

15. Nov 17, 2009 at 2:10 PM
    AlerAero

AlerAero Equipment MFG

Member:
    Northern Vermont
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma V6 SR5 4x4
    BakFlip Folding Tonneau, Locking bed storage compartments, Bug/rock guard, Anytime backup cam mod, Hitch + wiring
    I know exactly what you mean on the Dizzy part. Awsome when towing to check on things, expecaly with my 4x8, cant see it in the mirrors! Try it when someone is or you are passing. You'll see it gets a bit of the blind spot, ya can cut when passing really close and give a few pannic attacks!!! (not advised, cops may think its not funny) lol but its cool view but It dont replace turning your head and looking.

16. Nov 17, 2009 at 4:59 PM
    amati5

amati5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner TRD
    AlerAero, doesl the built-in button to turn off the camera during backing up still work the way it's supposed to? and does your still tun off after 5 minutes?

Great mod by the way. Thanks for the info.

17. Nov 17, 2009 at 5:09 PM
    BSP4x4

BSP4x4 Guest

just an fyi: i was able to do the mod without soldering. i just twisted the wire the the switch terminal holes and used shrink wrap. works fine

18. Nov 17, 2009 at 6:33 PM
    AlerAero

AlerAero Equipment MFG

Member:
    Northern Vermont
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma V6 SR5 4x4
    ya works like it was in reverse with out being in reverse lol

19. Nov 17, 2009 at 6:40 PM
    amati5

amati5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner TRD
    I meant the button that came with the mirror, basically can you turn it off if you don't want to see the view when in reverse.

Do you still have the problem that the view go away after 5 mins?

Thanks

20. Nov 17, 2009 at 6:42 PM
    AlerAero

AlerAero Equipment MFG

Member:
    Northern Vermont
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma V6 SR5 4x4
    Thats what i was talking about. lol

Products Discussed in

To Top