Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

09 Always-On Rear View Camera

Old 08-02-2009, 06:15 PM   #41
Rigger, Please
AFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: (2T2X1)Air Force Rigger
Name: "Butters"
AFButters's Tacoma Gallery
damn.. only if i knew how to Solder...
Old 08-02-2009, 06:25 PM   #42
UnderWater Monopoly Champion
TicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: F-15 Crew-Chief
Name: Anastatia Beaverhausen
TicTacOma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to TicTacOma
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09AFTacoma View Post
damn.. only if i knew how to Solder...
"Use the Force Luke", better known as the internet.Teach yourself, Soldering irons are cheap. Practice soldering two points between a battery (C/D cell) and a small light bulb (flashlight)

Make the connections so the bulb lights up, or get an old radio at a yard sale and take it apart, unsolder some of the points and then solder it back up. Nothing to loose and plenty to gain.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:39 AM   #44
Aalders has much to be proud ofAalders has much to be proud ofAalders has much to be proud ofAalders has much to be proud ofAalders has much to be proud ofAalders has much to be proud ofAalders has much to be proud ofAalders has much to be proud ofAalders has much to be proud of

Air Force: Electronic warfare tech
Name: Logan
Aalders's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks man. I like it even better now that i installed my Pop-n-Lock tailgate hande, now it sits a bit higher and i get a better viewing angle.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:14 AM   #45
Don't go ninja'in nobody don't need ninja'in
Buzzoff has much to be proud ofBuzzoff has much to be proud ofBuzzoff has much to be proud ofBuzzoff has much to be proud ofBuzzoff has much to be proud ofBuzzoff has much to be proud ofBuzzoff has much to be proud ofBuzzoff has much to be proud ofBuzzoff has much to be proud of

Buzzoff's Tacoma Gallery
Does it still automatically turn on when you place the truck in reverse or does it now only turn on when you flip the switch? Great job BTW
Old 11-06-2009, 10:52 AM   #46
Aalders has much to be proud ofAalders has much to be proud ofAalders has much to be proud ofAalders has much to be proud ofAalders has much to be proud ofAalders has much to be proud ofAalders has much to be proud ofAalders has much to be proud ofAalders has much to be proud of

Air Force: Electronic warfare tech
Name: Logan
Aalders's Tacoma Gallery
runs like normal (turns on when you go into reverse, and off when not) with switch in pos #1 and in pos #2 it is on in any gear.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:35 PM   #48
bass mechanic has a spectacular aura aboutbass mechanic has a spectacular aura about
bass mechanic's Tacoma Gallery
you might want to verify this but i believe your method will also turn the backup lights on when you flip the toggle. you would need to install a diode to prevent this.
and FWIW the read view camera is so small and worthless for anything but backing up and hitching a trailer i dont really see the point.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:22 PM   #49
BSP4x4
BSP4x4's Tacoma Gallery
i disagree! i think it would be nice to be able to see the tow hitch while driving. just to check up on it! and some times i back up on a hill just by putting it in N and rolling. i'd like to see the camera then.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:37 AM   #51
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rod
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass mechanic View Post
you might want to verify this but i believe your method will also turn the backup lights on when you flip the toggle. you would need to install a diode to prevent this.
and FWIW the read view camera is so small and worthless for anything but backing up and hitching a trailer i dont really see the point.
Depends on how you wire it. If you use a SPST switch and just add the power directly to the red-wire circuit, you will trigger the R and backup lights since your energizing the entire stock circuit.

If you use a SPDT switch, with one circuit being the stock circuit, and the second switch position being where you apply power only to the mirror's red circuit, then no backup lights since the stock red circuit is disconnected from the energized mirror end.

Also, I have the parts but have not done this yet, but could have used it this weekend when pulling some hedges out from my yard. I was close enough that I could not see the hedge and chain when pulling away. Would have been nice to be able to see when the chain tensioned up. Yes, doable without it, but would have been useful.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:55 AM   #52
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Just made the mod this weekend, works great. Thanks to all who contributed. It took me more time to solder the lead wire connections to the mini-switch than it took to do the mod itself.

A couple of pointers though. First, there are two red wires in the wire bundle going to the mirror. Actually three, but one goes to the camera feed and it's easy to pick that one out as it's part of a three wire bundle by itself. You need to read the OPs directions well as it states which red wire you need. I assumed their could only be one red wire and I'd be able to figure it out easily. Had to go back and re-read the OP to straighten myself out.

I used a mini SPDT switch in the mirror trim piece, like the OP, but tapped into the wiring behind the overhead console, like one of the subsequent posters.

Radio Shack has quite a few different SPDT switches to choose from. Make sure you look through all the switches and not just the ones marked "Automotive" as they all should work.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:26 PM   #53
Equipment MFG
AlerAero has a spectacular aura aboutAlerAero has a spectacular aura aboutAlerAero has a spectacular aura about

Army: Former 92Y Unit Supply
AlerAero's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkin View Post
Just made the mod this weekend, works great. Thanks to all who contributed. It took me more time to solder the lead wire connections to the mini-switch than it took to do the mod itself.

A couple of pointers though. First, there are two red wires in the wire bundle going to the mirror. Actually three, but one goes to the camera feed and it's easy to pick that one out as it's part of a three wire bundle by itself. You need to read the OPs directions well as it states which red wire you need. I assumed their could only be one red wire and I'd be able to figure it out easily. Had to go back and re-read the OP to straighten myself out.

I used a mini SPDT switch in the mirror trim piece, like the OP, but tapped into the wiring behind the overhead console, like one of the subsequent posters.

Radio Shack has quite a few different SPDT switches to choose from. Make sure you look through all the switches and not just the ones marked "Automotive" as they all should work.
It works, thats great. So how do ya like it so far? Oh and your welcome! LOL I can here it now!! Um WHY? Cause I'm the one that posed the info about a different spot to tap into. Just happy to hear my info was usefull.

Take care and anjoy..
Old 11-17-2009, 06:43 AM   #54
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlerAero View Post
It works, thats great. So how do ya like it so far? Oh and your welcome! LOL I can here it now!! Um WHY? Cause I'm the one that posed the info about a different spot to tap into. Just happy to hear my info was usefull.

Take care and anjoy..
Your welcome, ooops, thanks! Yup, it was all good. OP's switch and location; your wiring location, and even the same type of taps.

So far I haven't directly needed it, just messing with it, but works great. Interesting view when moving down the highway, almost makes you dizzy :-) Could have used it a couple weeks ago when I was pulling out some hedges and could have used it to see when the chain was getting tight.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:10 PM   #55
Equipment MFG
AlerAero has a spectacular aura aboutAlerAero has a spectacular aura aboutAlerAero has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkin View Post
Your welcome, ooops, thanks! Yup, it was all good. OP's switch and location; your wiring location, and even the same type of taps.

So far I haven't directly needed it, just messing with it, but works great. Interesting view when moving down the highway, almost makes you dizzy :-) Could have used it a couple weeks ago when I was pulling out some hedges and could have used it to see when the chain was getting tight.
I know exactly what you mean on the Dizzy part. Awsome when towing to check on things, expecaly with my 4x8, cant see it in the mirrors! Try it when someone is or you are passing. You'll see it gets a bit of the blind spot, ya can cut when passing really close and give a few pannic attacks!!! (not advised, cops may think its not funny) lol but its cool view but It dont replace turning your head and looking.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:59 PM   #56
amati5 is on a distinguished road
amati5's Tacoma Gallery
AlerAero, doesl the built-in button to turn off the camera during backing up still work the way it's supposed to? and does your still tun off after 5 minutes?

Great mod by the way. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:09 PM   #57
BSP4x4
BSP4x4's Tacoma Gallery
just an fyi: i was able to do the mod without soldering. i just twisted the wire the the switch terminal holes and used shrink wrap. works fine
Old 11-17-2009, 07:33 PM   #58
Equipment MFG

Quote:
Originally Posted by amati5 View Post
AlerAero, doesl the built-in button to turn off the camera during backing up still work the way it's supposed to? and does your still tun off after 5 minutes?

Great mod by the way. Thanks for the info.
ya works like it was in reverse with out being in reverse lol
Old 11-17-2009, 07:40 PM   #59
amati5 is on a distinguished road
amati5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlerAero View Post
ya works like it was in reverse with out being in reverse lol
I meant the button that came with the mirror, basically can you turn it off if you don't want to see the view when in reverse.

Do you still have the problem that the view go away after 5 mins?

Thanks
Old 11-17-2009, 07:42 PM   #60
Equipment MFG

Quote:
Originally Posted by amati5 View Post
I meant the button that came with the mirror, basically can you turn it off if you don't want to see the view when in reverse.

Do you still have the problem that the view go away after 5 mins?

Thanks
Thats what i was talking about. lol