Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

09 Always-On Rear View Camera

Old 09-15-2010, 09:52 PM   #121
willerz is on a distinguished road
willerz's Tacoma Gallery
I did this mod and it only works when in reverse . Any ideas why is not working when i flip the switch to always on position? I read the write up so many times and checked my wirings and still no luck.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:10 AM   #122
BGrutter is a name known to allBGrutter is a name known to allBGrutter is a name known to allBGrutter is a name known to allBGrutter is a name known to allBGrutter is a name known to all
Name: Baron
BGrutter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by willerz View Post
I did this mod and it only works when in reverse . Any ideas why is not working when i flip the switch to always on position? I read the write up so many times and checked my wirings and still no luck.
I can think of only 3 possible problems.
1: Your switch is bad.
2: Your tap-in is none functoning.
3: Your soldering is not creating a good connection.

All three scenarios revolve around having something wrong with your lead that pulls power from the tap. Could you posts picture of the wires and where they connect?
Old 09-16-2010, 12:39 PM   #123
willerz is on a distinguished road
willerz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGrutter View Post
I can think of only 3 possible problems.
1: Your switch is bad.
2: Your tap-in is none functoning.
3: Your soldering is not creating a good connection.

All three scenarios revolve around having something wrong with your lead that pulls power from the tap. Could you posts picture of the wires and where they connect?
The green wire is 12v right? I think the tap-in is the problem. I'm gonna try this again later. Thanks.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:28 PM   #124
BGrutter is a name known to allBGrutter is a name known to allBGrutter is a name known to allBGrutter is a name known to allBGrutter is a name known to allBGrutter is a name known to all
Quote:
The green wire is 12v right? I think the tap-in is the problem. I'm gonna try this again later. Thanks.
Click this link if you'd like to see the image I have of the final product. I wasn't able to find the same telephone tap that the OP used, but I used a basic 20-22 gauge wire tap.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:58 PM   #125
Tactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
Tactical Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I had the same problem, and found that on my 09 I had to run the wire from tab 3 on the switch to the wire coming TO the harness and run the wire from tab 2 on the switch to the wire coming FROM the harness. Basically my wiring on 2&3 is opposite of the OP's. Not sure why it had to be done this way, but don't care, it has taken me 3 attempts to get it right so I am just happy it works
Old 10-16-2010, 07:15 PM   #126
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
I think I'm going to take this mod and mod it...put a small SPDT relay in the mirror wiring, wired as the OP did the switch; then control the relay with a 30 second or 1 minute timed switch. Button for the switch will be in the overhead console somewhere.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:28 PM   #127
Another FNG
cactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud of

cactuscorn's Tacoma Gallery
super cool aalders! last week im sittin in what will be my new '10 prerunner tomorrow morning, and asked the sales guy if there was a full time option on the cam. i was bummed when he said no and now im simply giddy with anticipation of this mod. i see a radio snack stop on my way home from the dealership. but as others have said, id prefer a dash position if possible. any electrical wizards found the magic place yet? i can barely spell "wire" so a tutorial as well done as the op's will be a huge help.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:22 PM   #128
timmo will become famous soon enoughtimmo will become famous soon enough

Name: Tim
timmo's Tacoma Gallery
i finally did it and it's great!
the only thing i did differently was use a different model switch. it was the same piece of crap from radio shack as was mentioned earlier in this thread apparently cause i totally melted the first one (although that was my fault as i had the soldering iron set too high and the second switch is now working just fine.)
know this: if you use a switch that requires an external cover plate, make sure you install it onto the mirror stem faceplate before you start splicing. i made it as far as the first splice and then started cursing!!!
all is well now, however and life is good.
it's great to be able to make sure that paint line is behind me when i park at work!

[/IMG]
Old 11-14-2010, 06:24 PM   #129

timmo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmo View Post
i finally did it and it's great!
the only thing i did differently was use a different model switch. it was the same piece of crap from radio shack as was mentioned earlier in this thread apparently cause i totally melted the first one (although that was my fault as i had the soldering iron set too high and the second switch is now working just fine.)
know this: if you use a switch that requires an external cover plate, make sure you install it onto the mirror stem faceplate before you start splicing. i made it as far as the first splice and then started cursing!!!
all is well now, however and life is good.
it's great to be able to make sure that paint line is behind me when i park at work!

[/IMG]

damn you image posting!!!
Old 11-14-2010, 06:27 PM   #130

timmo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmo View Post
damn you image posting!!!

there!
Old 12-12-2010, 10:37 PM   #131
Walt is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Vietnam Era
Name: Walt
Walt's Tacoma Gallery
Question Add a front camera and switch to mirror.

Nice write up on switch for always on backup camera. Has anyone put a camera on the front of the vehicle and be able to use the rear view mirror via a toggle switch so that you can see how close you are to say a rock and your front bumper?
Old 01-04-2011, 11:04 AM   #132
JC808 is on a distinguished road
Army: Hawaii Army National Guard
Name: JC
JC808's Tacoma Gallery
I tried this mod with my 10 Taco and didn't get the results I wanted. Instead, my road traction indicator and check engine lights are on continually. I followed your instructions to the letter even avoiding the white wire. Is it possible that you used a different type of switch? Did your switch have two or three positions? Also, I noticed that there are two red wires and a red wire with gray stripping. Did you cut into the red wire in front or in back?

Any assistance with this is greatly appreciated!
Old 01-04-2011, 11:15 AM   #133
JC808 is on a distinguished road
Army: Hawaii Army National Guard
Name: JC
JC808's Tacoma Gallery
I also have that problem with my check engine light and road hazard lights continually emitting. So, did you place your power wire in slot 2? If so, did that eventually work for you? I tried placing the green wire in slot 1 which only turned the camera off full time.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:17 AM   #134
TiMe is a jewel in the roughTiMe is a jewel in the roughTiMe is a jewel in the rough
TiMe's Tacoma Gallery
I really wish the 05's were wired for a camera
Old 01-04-2011, 02:04 PM   #135
White Tacoma 4X4
whitetacoma1 has much to be proud ofwhitetacoma1 has much to be proud ofwhitetacoma1 has much to be proud ofwhitetacoma1 has much to be proud ofwhitetacoma1 has much to be proud ofwhitetacoma1 has much to be proud ofwhitetacoma1 has much to be proud ofwhitetacoma1 has much to be proud ofwhitetacoma1 has much to be proud of

Name: Dan
whitetacoma1's Tacoma Gallery
very nice mod! are there any side effects with this mod like throwing codes etc?
Old 01-04-2011, 08:50 PM   #136
I have a 2010 and didn't have any issues other than installer error. After swapping out the first switch that I broke, it works great. No codes thrown or lights eliminated.

If you're having issues with the install, you can take a look at my build thread. I documented it all pretty well on one dedicated post (linked in my first post). Not that I did it any better, but perhaps a different perspective will help you to troubleshoot.

Let me know if I can be of any assistance.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:46 AM   #137
White Tacoma 4X4
whitetacoma1 has much to be proud ofwhitetacoma1 has much to be proud ofwhitetacoma1 has much to be proud ofwhitetacoma1 has much to be proud ofwhitetacoma1 has much to be proud ofwhitetacoma1 has much to be proud ofwhitetacoma1 has much to be proud ofwhitetacoma1 has much to be proud ofwhitetacoma1 has much to be proud of

Name: Dan
whitetacoma1's Tacoma Gallery
Got my switch today going to install the mod this weekend.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:24 AM   #138
Gitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant future
Name: Justin
Gitmo's Tacoma Gallery
Siick! This is perfect, now I can flip it on to see how close the asshole behind me really is...then I can flip on my PA and yell at him xD. Shit, I can also flip it on to see if it really is a cop behind me too!!

+1 rep man!
Old 01-08-2011, 08:59 AM   #139
honejim is on a distinguished road
Name: Jim
honejim's Tacoma Gallery
Dude!! (1) Do the "brighter reverse light mod" (2) Put it on a seperate switch. (3) When they are to close you can blind them AND watch them at the same time LOL
Old 01-09-2011, 01:30 AM   #140
Gitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant future
Name: Justin
Gitmo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by honejim View Post
Dude!! (1) Do the "brighter reverse light mod" (2) Put it on a seperate switch. (3) When they are to close you can blind them AND watch them at the same time LOL
Helll yea! I want to install a pair of backup lights under my bumber but the reverse lights would be much more stealthier incase a cop checks it!! Good lookin out