Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

09 Always-On Rear View Camera

Old 02-04-2011, 02:13 PM   #141
troyc is on a distinguished road
Army: Engineer
Name: troy
troyc's Tacoma Gallery
i have a 2011 and have tried this exactly how it says and it is not working yall got any ideas
Old 02-04-2011, 06:46 PM   #142
timmo will become famous soon enoughtimmo will become famous soon enough

Name: Tim
timmo's Tacoma Gallery
any more info? i doubt the wiring changed since i pulled this of in my '10 but maybe some wire insulation colors have, who knows. where my mod would have gone wrong if i didn't see it happening was overheating/melting the switch with my soldering iron. is there any chance that happened?
Old 02-19-2011, 08:02 AM   #143
White Tacoma 4X4
whitetacoma1 has much to be proud ofwhitetacoma1 has much to be proud ofwhitetacoma1 has much to be proud ofwhitetacoma1 has much to be proud ofwhitetacoma1 has much to be proud ofwhitetacoma1 has much to be proud ofwhitetacoma1 has much to be proud ofwhitetacoma1 has much to be proud ofwhitetacoma1 has much to be proud of

Name: Dan
whitetacoma1's Tacoma Gallery
I installed my rear view camera switch in the upper console behind the sunglass holder and also put a push button for my garage door opener there too nice hidden location for them.
Attached Thumbnails
09 Always-On Rear View Camera-dscn2973.jpg   09 Always-On Rear View Camera-dscn2971.jpg   09 Always-On Rear View Camera-dscn2980.jpg   09 Always-On Rear View Camera-dscn2977.jpg  
Old 03-19-2011, 06:04 PM   #145
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
I just did this to my truck. It works fine but when I flip the switch in reverse it actually turns the camera off and the camera does not come on in any other gear. Did I do this wrong? Or is it the wrong switch?

NM. I got it! Thanks for the write up and thanks BGrutter for the parts #s
Old 03-19-2011, 10:26 PM   #146
Tactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
Tactical Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWreck View Post
I just did this to my truck. It works fine but when I flip the switch in reverse it actually turns the camera off and the camera does not come on in any other gear. Did I do this wrong? Or is it the wrong switch?

NM. I got it! Thanks for the write up and thanks BGrutter for the parts #s
I had the same problem, and found that on my 09 I had to run the wire from tab 3 on the switch to the wire coming TO the harness and run the wire from tab 2 on the switch to the wire coming FROM the harness. Basically my wiring on 2&3 is opposite of the OP's. Not sure why it had to be done this way, but don't care, it has taken me 3 attempts to get it right so I am just happy it works
Old 03-19-2011, 10:31 PM   #148
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
They splice into the green wire wasn't making contact.........in my case. Thanks tho!
Old 04-24-2011, 11:25 AM   #149
504taco is on a distinguished road
Name: Jacob
504taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyc View Post
i have a 2011 and have tried this exactly how it says and it is not working yall got any ideas
Me too! I just installed a switch on my 11 and it isn't working. Ugh
Old 04-24-2011, 11:32 AM   #150
Superx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joey
Superx2's Tacoma Gallery
that is awsome! when i first bought my truck i knew i wanted to have that done. (its not on my high priority list) that is so cool though. nice job w the write up. 1 up for ya!
Old 04-29-2011, 01:47 PM   #151
MAXBOI
maxboi is a jewel in the roughmaxboi is a jewel in the roughmaxboi is a jewel in the rough
Name: Brian
maxboi's Tacoma Gallery
worked perfectly... I tapped in under the overhead and did hid the switch in the glasses holder
Old 05-12-2011, 01:34 PM   #152
vsick is on a distinguished road
vsick's Tacoma Gallery
Does anyone know if this wire comes down to the dash somewhere? I am wanting to wire the switch somewhere below the radio or around the steering column.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:10 PM   #154
kevcarp is on a distinguished road
Name: Kevin
kevcarp's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to kevcarp
Not working yet (on '11 Tacoma)

I followed instructions to the tee, but can only get this to work in either on or off. When on it's on, it's on, stays in even in reverse. When switch is off, it stays off, even when gear in reverse. I'm not sure if any electrically minded folks will see this, but if you do and have any ideas, please share. This is with an '11 Tacoma - not sure if they changed anything with the wiring. Of course, it could be my switch is bad - seems like the exact one original poster used, from Radio Shack. Could be one of the connections I made was bad, but seems unlikely.

Also, just heads up, on my Tacoma there is a 5min cutoff of video - so if you leave it on, it will cut-off after ~5mins or so. You just toggle the switch off and on and it's back.

I still like the idea, especially for trailer hook up. Thank you for sharing!
Old 07-10-2011, 07:29 PM   #155
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
I'm thinking of using a 555 timer circuit to give me about a 15 second "on" when I push the switch. I'd just like to be able to pop it on when I want to (like to check a trailer), but I don't need it on longer than that.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:37 PM   #156
byebyebhg is on a distinguished road
Name: Lance
byebyebhg's Tacoma Gallery
HELP ME

Yes I am a tard. I used a switch to supply power to the red wire from the green in my '11. Just a simple two wire switch instead of the three. It would appear as though when I flipped this switch the truck thought it was in park and reverse at the same time. Now my ABS, traction control, something else I can't remember right now lights are on. I did the foglight anytime mod and now they won't come on. My windows don't work. Climate control won't work. Also it will not let me shift out of park without pushing the cheater button down next to the shifter. 5000 miles on the truck. What do I do?
Old 07-31-2011, 10:24 AM   #157
kevcarp is on a distinguished road
Name: Kevin
kevcarp's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to kevcarp
Sounds simplistic, and I'm not sure the condition of your current installation (ie: how much wire you have left), but undo what you currently have installed (remove the switch), and either rewire back to original condition with electrical wire connectors, or go buy the right 3-way switch and re-install. Good luck!
Old 07-31-2011, 08:07 PM   #158
byebyebhg is on a distinguished road
Name: Lance
byebyebhg's Tacoma Gallery
Ha yes I am way past that. Uninstalled and made to look as much like factory as possible in hopes of Toyota not seeing it. Really I don't see any reason for them to go up there but just in case.

I doubt it could have any ill effect but I did the "400W anytime" mod at the same time.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:26 PM   #159
ATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud of
Army:
ATriplett513's Tacoma Gallery
This should work the same on '11s right?
Old 08-09-2011, 04:57 PM   #160
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsick View Post
Does anyone know if this wire comes down to the dash somewhere? I am wanting to wire the switch somewhere below the radio or around the steering column.
I'm going to research it and find out. I have all the documentation, just need to make the time. Hopefully soon.