Notices

09 Always-On Rear View Camera

Old 08-27-2011, 02:15 PM   #161
stretch85 has a spectacular aura aboutstretch85 has a spectacular aura about
stretch85's Tacoma Gallery
And he did! http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...k-my-work.html

Old 09-26-2011, 04:52 PM   #162
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch85 View Post
Thanks for noticing.

Okay so with a little help I figured out a way to put the switch on the dash because the wiring for the camera is right behind the coin tray in drivers seat area.

I made a separate thread for it here:
09 Anytime-On Rear View Camera with Switch on Dash mod

Both khx73 and myself have done the mod by tapping the wiring under the dash and it works perfectly. Big thanks to Aalders[OP] for the original mod and idea.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:47 PM   #164
Super Taco
mattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mattgecko's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone taken a rear camera and mount it in there front grill? Maybe use an additional toggle switch to switch cameras.

Some times when I get to the top of a hill (nose high) a front cam would be handy to see whats there.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:25 PM   #165
Bobrooks is on a distinguished road
Name: Frank
Bobrooks's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2012 with Entunes, the rear camera shows on the screen in the dash. Is there any way to do this mod with this setup? Or maybe have the rear camera show in the mirror when the switch is on but still show in the dash when in reverse?
Old 05-24-2012, 05:59 AM   #166
NewShockerGuy will become famous soon enoughNewShockerGuy will become famous soon enough

Name: Nigel
NewShockerGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to bump this old thread... however. This is the ONLY site I have found in which I want to do the rear camera mod...

I don't own a tacoma, rather this is for my ford truck. That being said it appears the rear view mirror camera that I have is wired the same. In reguards to it has a 12v switched wire, ground, and then 12v reverse wire. My main question is on page 5 the one guy made a little diagram of which wire to cut, and which wire to tap. He asked if the green wire is the 12v? Is the red wire the reverse sensing wire?

If so then I can continue and wire up the backup camera exactly how you guys have it so you can turn it on and then have it run as stock if you want.

Thanks for the help!

Great thread! Read the entire thing.

-Nigel
Old 05-24-2012, 11:00 AM   #167
Rand Paul 2016
Chad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Chad's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewShockerGuy View Post
Sorry to bump this old thread... however. This is the ONLY site I have found in which I want to do the rear camera mod...

I don't own a tacoma, rather this is for my ford truck. That being said it appears the rear view mirror camera that I have is wired the same. In reguards to it has a 12v switched wire, ground, and then 12v reverse wire. My main question is on page 5 the one guy made a little diagram of which wire to cut, and which wire to tap. He asked if the green wire is the 12v? Is the red wire the reverse sensing wire?

If so then I can continue and wire up the backup camera exactly how you guys have it so you can turn it on and then have it run as stock if you want.

Thanks for the help!

Great thread! Read the entire thing.

-Nigel
If you had a tacoma, you wouldn't need to be asking this question now would you?

However, based on your description of your own vehicle's wiring, it sounds like it's the same deal. Green is +12v and the red is the camera wire. Try it and let us know if it works.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:31 AM   #168
NewShockerGuy will become famous soon enoughNewShockerGuy will become famous soon enough

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
If you had a tacoma, you wouldn't need to be asking this question now would you?

However, based on your description of your own vehicle's wiring, it sounds like it's the same deal. Green is +12v and the red is the camera wire. Try it and let us know if it works.
Very true!!..lol I guess I am part of the toyota family because the wife has a solara... close enough right?..hah

But seriously this is great! I will post up some pictures hopefully once done but everytime I asked what was done on this forum to those on my forum everyone said it couldn't be done or had no clue what I wanted to achieve! Amazing what can be found on a completely different forum!!

Can't wait, hope to be able to do this either this weekend or later next week!

Thanks again,
-Nigel
Old 06-03-2012, 06:03 PM   #169

Arrow

Figured i'd update. Did exactly what was said in this thread and used the picture on the later pages for the diagram.. Worked PERFECTLY for my ford ranger!!

Thanks all! Awesome thread!

-Nigel
Old 06-04-2012, 02:50 PM   #171
Rand Paul 2016
Chad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Chad's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewShockerGuy View Post
Figured i'd update. Did exactly what was said in this thread and used the picture on the later pages for the diagram.. Worked PERFECTLY for my ford ranger!!

Thanks all! Awesome thread!

-Nigel
Nice! Glad we could be of assistance
Old 06-13-2012, 12:34 PM   #172
TacoHunt is on a distinguished road
Name: Geoff
TacoHunt's Tacoma Gallery
Nice Mod. I definitely see this happening in the near future. Great write up too.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:08 AM   #173
redz80 is a splendid one to beholdredz80 is a splendid one to beholdredz80 is a splendid one to beholdredz80 is a splendid one to beholdredz80 is a splendid one to beholdredz80 is a splendid one to beholdredz80 is a splendid one to beholdredz80 is a splendid one to behold

redz80's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd
Old 06-15-2012, 03:57 PM   #174
khx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

khx73's Tacoma Gallery
If you do that you'll also send power back down the other side of the red wire when it is supposed to be dead.. resulting in a check engine light from what I've read on here.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:57 PM   #175
fallon is on a distinguished road
fallon's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mexico Taco View Post
Been looking for this mod for awhile. just found it. Question Can you just tap on the red wire and not break it ? that way the camera can still be turned on anytime.
That's exactly what it does...

Position 1 = stock (turn on when in reverse only)
Position 2 = always on

The camera/monitor will either get power from the stock reverse only wire, or from the ignition switched wire, depending on the position of the switch.

I wouldn't want to pump power into the wiring harness from the ignition switched wire by tapping into it. You probably wouldn't have any problems, but I don't like sending power not intended by the OEM that I can't account for.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:00 PM   #176
RadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant future

Name: Chris
RadSurfTaco's Tacoma Gallery
man that is cool! awesome documenting it too for anyone to do...
Old 09-22-2012, 12:04 PM   #177
FPS-a-holic
Fractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Fractured's Tacoma Gallery
I know this is old, but has anyone figured out how to make it so those of us with entune/ backup camera/ monitor can put the camera on the mirror? And allow it to be controlled on a switch? Im pretty sure those of us with nav etc have the rearview mirror capability.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:00 PM   #179
Zonktified has a spectacular aura aboutZonktified has a spectacular aura about

Name: Rob
Zonktified's Tacoma Gallery
subd...excellent mod!!
Old 01-01-2013, 11:27 PM   #180
60% of the time it works every time
Hollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Hollywood22's Tacoma Gallery