Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

09 Always-On Rear View Camera

Old 06-28-2009, 06:47 PM   #1
Aalders has much to be proud ofAalders has much to be proud ofAalders has much to be proud ofAalders has much to be proud ofAalders has much to be proud ofAalders has much to be proud ofAalders has much to be proud ofAalders has much to be proud ofAalders has much to be proud of

Air Force: Electronic warfare tech
Name: Logan
Aalders's Tacoma Gallery
09 Always-On Rear View Camera

Note:This mod is for the Independent operation of the rear view camera from the Reverse position of the transmission.

I finally got the time to sit down and finish this mod. so here it is from start to finish.

First thing i did was remove the peace of trim that goes over the connector for the mirror.

here is what it looks like.

then you need to disconnect the mirror. notice the first row of wires. wire 1 (green), wire 2 (wight), and wire 3 (red). you will be tapping into wire 1 for your +12v and then use the switch to feed the power to wire 3.

this is the switch i used. i picked it up from Radio Shack for around $3. Notice that it has three posts on the back side. post 1 is for input #1, post 2 is the common (or the output to the mirror), and post 3 is input #2. your splice into wire 1(green) goes to ether post 1 or 3 depending on what position you want your switch to be in when your camera is always on. when you cut wire 3 (red) the lead that goes to the clip is soldered to post 2 (because that goes directly to the mirror). last you put the other end of wire 3 (red) to the last post (1 or 3 depending on what post is left after you connect wire 1 (green) to the switch)

this is my extensions i added to the switch

I soldered all three wires on then used shrink tube to ensure they didn't short

this is the splice into wire 1 (green). i used a phone line tap from Radio Shack. Note: if you are not familiar with these there is no need to strip the green wire or the wire your using to tap off of wire 1. these wire taps cut into the isolation just enough to do the job and they do it well.

here is what it looks like after all the wiring is finished. i used small crimp connectors to tie in the red wires. i also got these at Radio Shack.

my next step was to drill the hole for the switch and the notch for the plate that keeps the switch orientated in the right direction.

the last thing to do is install it!

PM me with your email if you want a Video of it working... i cant figure out how to put it on here.

here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y2O9MDViSU

in position #1 the switch functions like its not even there, it turns on the camera when the car is in reverse. in position #2 it functions as a always on feature for the camera so that it will operate while in drive, neutral, park... whatever
Old 06-28-2009, 06:51 PM   #4
rabble rabble rabble
dud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Humane Officer
Name: Dan
dud122's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dud122
cool... but what does the switch do?
Old 06-28-2009, 06:52 PM   #5
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
what is the purpose of this mod? Great write up but if somebody could explain it to me
Old 06-28-2009, 06:53 PM   #6
Aalders has much to be proud ofAalders has much to be proud ofAalders has much to be proud ofAalders has much to be proud ofAalders has much to be proud ofAalders has much to be proud ofAalders has much to be proud ofAalders has much to be proud ofAalders has much to be proud of

Aalders's Tacoma Gallery
in position #1 the switch functions like its not even there, it turns on the camera when the car is in reverse. in position #2 it functions as a always on feature for the camera so that it will operate while in drive, neutral, park... whatever
Old 06-28-2009, 06:54 PM   #7
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
ohh so its for your back up camera. Cool. great write up by the way
Old 06-28-2009, 07:53 PM   #17
EricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EricT's Tacoma Gallery
Great mod! Trying to get some clarity on this, forgive my ignorance - the green is your 12v power lead, the red is the power TO the camera, and the white is your neutral?

If not, what's white doing. I'm no electronic expert. Great mod btw.

Does feeding that power to the cam light up anything else on your dash?
Old 06-28-2009, 07:58 PM   #18

Aalders's Tacoma Gallery
wire 2 (white) is not used at all just thought i would mention it so people could differentiate wires 1 and 3. no nothing on the dash lights up when the switch is in ether position. the way the switch is designed it isolates both circuits preventing the 12V to travel back to the truck lighting up your reverse lights and putting the R on your dash.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:07 PM   #19
NorCalTacoma is on a distinguished road
NorCalTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Great mod. Thanks for the writeup.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:09 PM   #20
EricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EricT's Tacoma Gallery
Ooohhh, took a second look - switch sits in the middle of the red wire. Got it.

Nice mod! I might have to do this one.