Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Does the locker become easier to engage?

Old 06-28-2009, 09:06 PM   #1
aaronk is on a distinguished road
aaronk's Tacoma Gallery
Does the locker become easier to engage?

TRD OR package and I've only engaged the locker a couple times to make sure everything works OK. So far it hasn't locked in without me driving forward a bit and turning the wheel a little. I'm just wondering how I'm going to engage the locker if/when I get stuck and am not able to drive forward and turn the wheel. Is this considered normal or will I eventually be able to get it locked as soon as I hit the button?
Old 06-28-2009, 09:11 PM   #2
Rocking your mom's world Since 1997
drew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronk View Post
TRD OR package and I've only engaged the locker a couple times to make sure everything works OK. So far it hasn't locked in without me driving forward a bit and turning the wheel a little. I'm just wondering how I'm going to engage the locker if/when I get stuck and am not able to drive forward and turn the wheel. Is this considered normal or will I eventually be able to get it locked as soon as I hit the button?
It sounds ike the gears just have to differentiate a little before it will lock. If you're stuck and one wheel is spinning it will do the same. Just make sure you only give it a little bit of power until it locks.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:21 PM   #3
thecreeper is on a distinguished road
thecreeper's Tacoma Gallery
interesting, while test driving the TRD OR today the rear locking diff did not engage (we were off road). but the salesman said it did but...anyway it did not so i wasn't sure what was up. i just assumed the gears needed some time to "figure it out" before locking but they never did and the salesguy didn't want me engaging it in the first place... interesting...
Old 06-28-2009, 09:29 PM   #4
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecreeper View Post
interesting, while test driving the TRD OR today the rear locking diff did not engage (we were off road). but the salesman said it did but...anyway it did not so i wasn't sure what was up. i just assumed the gears needed some time to "figure it out" before locking but they never did and the salesguy didn't want me engaging it in the first place... interesting...
sounds sketchy to me...
Old 06-28-2009, 09:36 PM   #5
aaronk is on a distinguished road
aaronk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecreeper View Post
I've got 1600 miles on the truck thus far, so it's still pretty new. The first time I tried to engage the locker, nothing... Drove it slowly forward for a ways and still nothing. Double checked the owners manual, tried it again with the exact steps listed and still nothing. Though I was going to have to go back to the dealer but then read a thread on here about sometimes having to turn the steering wheel to get it to engage. The next time out I did and you could hear it lock in to place and the flashing light on the dash glowed solid confirming it.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:38 PM   #6
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
The last few times I have used it I had to be at a complete stop before i pushed the button. Then I rolled forward a little to get it to engage. But, it will not engage if I push the button while rolling forward.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:32 AM   #7
thecreeper is on a distinguished road
thecreeper's Tacoma Gallery
i am sure it works... but the salesguy was so paranoid we were gonna mess something up. if he just let me continue driving in a straight line i bet they would have engaged. but when i test drove a Nissan and pushed the button for rear locking it did lock up within a few seconds i'd say...

edit - ok so you need to be stopped to engage the lock? i was not stopped nor did i move the steering wheel...
Old 06-29-2009, 10:45 AM   #8
djs05tacoma will become famous soon enough

djs05tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Definately seems to get easier the more you use it. I've got about 60k on my truck and the first few times it took a while to engage but now it seems to engage a lot faster.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:12 PM   #9
Banned
bermise will become famous soon enough
bermise's Tacoma Gallery
Read the owners manual, it states from a stop, press button, drive forward slowly and turn wheels to engage. thats exactly how mine works.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:49 PM   #10
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bermise View Post
Read the owners manual, it states from a stop, press button, drive forward slowly and turn wheels to engage. thats exactly how mine works.
+1 It helps to be moving a bit for it to engage.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:30 PM   #11
gjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: LAR (Master Gunner/Instructor)
Name: Guy
gjbonner's Tacoma Gallery
I have 37k on mine and have only used the locker a couple times. i went out today to do a check on my locker mod wiring job( i know, quite a bit of time i let go by before testing my work ) when i push the locker button it takes not even a second for the light to display solid. I also put it in 4 Low and 4 hi and tried all these then would move forward and backward each time i tried a different combo. I never heard a clunk at all. i guess i'm just lucky?