Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

headlights cover...

Old 06-30-2009, 08:17 PM   #1
linkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud of

Name: link the stink!
linkfeeney's Tacoma Gallery
headlights cover...

Ok, as time goes by i notice the headlight cover goes yellow or this weird film on it....
what can i do to prevent my awesome tacoma not to have this issue???
Old 06-30-2009, 08:27 PM   #2
She's Kickass!
gavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to behold

gavonder's Tacoma Gallery
You could put these http://www.lamin-x.com/Toyota-Tacoma...ers-p/t012.htm on. Or you can buy a headlight polishing kit to fix them after the fact.

I actually just used the polish on my wife's '99 Jetta. It worked pretty good.

GA
Old 07-01-2009, 04:58 PM   #3
linkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud of

wow i didn't know they have this polish kit... does it take out all the yellow smudge stuff?
how much duckets?
Old 07-01-2009, 05:39 PM   #4
black98 is on a distinguished road

black98's Tacoma Gallery
I have noticed this effect on 3 toyotas now, including the taco. A fading or yellowing of the interior side of the glass of the headlight. First, on my Camry:

Then, the Corolla:

and now the taco:

So what's the deal with this? Can this be cleaned or fixed? Is this problem only with OEM headlights?
Old 07-01-2009, 07:44 PM   #6
She's Kickass!
gavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to behold

gavonder's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkfeeney View Post
wow i didn't know they have this polish kit... does it take out all the yellow smudge stuff?
how much duckets?
Yeah, I used one by Turtle Wax that cost $10. I think Mothers and Maguiers both make a kit that is probably better. It worked pretty good - not like new, but worth it considering new headlights are $$$.

GA
Old 07-02-2009, 04:19 AM   #7

I guess I have to go to auto zones or pep boys to check out this kit.

to ozman420, I dont know about buying a new headlights... you will have to worry about sealing the lights. It has to be super tight otherwise you will get condensation in it which makes it every worse.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:55 AM   #8
If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off
Rocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Rocketball's Tacoma Gallery
I haven't seen this as a problem with new model cars and trucks. guess the manufacturers have figured out with type of plastic formulation works the best.

My wife has an 04 4Runner and those headlight lenses are as clear now as the first day she owned the truck.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:59 AM   #9
EricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EricT's Tacoma Gallery
As you drive around, road noise blasts em, and the sun hits em too. They're plastic, not glass. We put a set of those xpel clear headlight protectors on my wifes 05 pilot, lights still look like new, and they're very protected from loose rocks cracking the housing. I'll be ordering a set for my taco as well.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricT View Post
As you drive around, road noise blasts em, and the sun hits em too. They're plastic, not glass. We put a set of those xpel clear headlight protectors on my wifes 05 pilot, lights still look like new, and they're very protected from loose rocks cracking the housing. I'll be ordering a set for my taco as well.
how much are those cost? I guess they have all cut out to fit the head lights?

the cars back in the 80 and 90 never heard this problems... they were using those big fixed headlights! Then they using using those halogen... all the plastic headlights started to turn yellow! Not just the tacomas, but all other brands!