Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Wich HID temp/beam do you prefer

Old 07-01-2009, 07:11 PM   #2
brandob9 is a jewel in the roughbrandob9 is a jewel in the roughbrandob9 is a jewel in the roughbrandob9 is a jewel in the rough
Name: Brandon
brandob9's Tacoma Gallery
Do this only in housings designed for HID bulbs, not in the stock ones. Our headlights were built around having a horizontal light source in a certain spot. HID bulbs are all longitudinal. Your reflector won't be able to use all of the output of the bulbs efficiently, and your total useful output will fall from stock.

Also, when you are looking at these, don't look too much at the temperature of the light; look at the lumen output. 4.3 KK is chosen by most OEMs for this reason.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:16 PM   #3
Banned
bp_phil16 is on a distinguished road
bp_phil16's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandob9 View Post
Do this only in housings designed for HID bulbs, not in the stock ones. Our headlights were built around having a horizontal light source in a certain spot. HID bulbs are all longitudinal. Your reflector won't be able to use all of the output of the bulbs efficiently, and your total useful output will fall from stock.

Also, when you are looking at these, don't look too much at the temperature of the light; look at the lumen output. 4.3 KK is chosen by most OEMs for this reason.
Where would i get a Housing designed for HID bulbs
Old 07-01-2009, 09:06 PM   #4
Banned
johnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
johnecon2001's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to johnecon2001
Don't worry about housing so much as hot point location on the new lamp.
As long as you get it as close to the location of where the stock lamp is your light output will be the same if not brighter depending on your kit.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:27 PM   #5
Are you Recreationally Insane?
mr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brant Luckow
mr.trd's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I have been told by lots of people that our housings are great for HID's..... I have 6,000K on the car and I love the light output and color. But they are in real german BMW OEM housings with the projectors. But the light output and color shouldn't be different because of the housings. I will be putting 6,000K hi's and low's in my truck someday.....someday
Old 07-01-2009, 09:51 PM   #6
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I have 6k bulbs for my HID kit for the headlights and 3K for the foglights. I agree, the stock housings aren't the best for HID kits for our trucks. But as long as you adjust them correctly, you can get a way better light output.