Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Highway-City-Boat Pulling: Off-Road?

Old 07-02-2009, 07:49 AM   #1
IrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to behold

IrishPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Highway-City-Boat Pulling: Off-Road?

Pretty much just had figured the 4x4 Sport would suit me best for Minnesota winters and mostly street driving and pulling the boat (18.6 ft Rinker IO). I also dig the hood scoop...though would love whitewall tires at some point like the off-road.

Any reason a guy like me should consider the TRD Off-Road package instead of TRD Sport considering I will probably do minimal off-roading?
(Or...maybe once I got a truck Id really get into it like many of you!)
Old 07-02-2009, 07:51 AM   #2
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
That's the chance you take... if you don't think you'll be doing any hardcore offroading, stay with the sport... it's still plenty capable without the locker.

If you think you'll really get into it, spring for the OR for the e-locker.

I like the sports better because of the color matched items and scoop.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:56 AM   #3
IrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post

I like the sports better because of the color matched items and scoop.
Agreed. Ive been wanting a Tacoma for about 10 damn years now, and could just never justify it with my lifestyle, income, etc. Present day it makes more sense, though I hate the idea of gas prices, etc. If I lived somewhere where it didnt snow I would probably be considering something more economical.

That being said, I want to make sure there isnt something with the Off-Road that Im overlooking, being a newb trucker...wanna do it right the first time.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:58 AM   #4
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
sometimes wish I got the OR package instead of the sport but I also like all the color matched stuff. I didnt know I would get so hooked on off-roading when i bought the truck.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:59 AM   #5
Prepared for Bambi
Jason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Jason'sLawnCare's Tacoma Gallery
You could do pretty much everything. If you're doing some really hairy stuff then just bring a buddy to help get unstuck that's really all the locker is designed for to get unstuck, off course it could be used for more. If you like the hood scoop and all the color matched stuff then go for the sport.

I have yet to be in any situations that I absolutly needed the locker.

If all you like is the scoop from the sport then you could try and find a sport hood and put it on the offroad model.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:27 AM   #6
Demoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud of

Demoncleaner's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like any V6 4x4 model will suit your needs fine. Sport or Off-road adds $2K. The 09' Sport really only has more cosmetic stuff (scoop, color matching trim, smoked lights, 17" rims) for looks over a decent equiped SR5 (again $2K less). Same traction systems, but narrower tires on the SR5 will do better in winter over the Sport, at the expense of slightly less cornering grip on the dry. If $ not issue then if your gonna spend the extra dough for a TRD pkg at least the Off-road you get a rear locker, skid plates, and A-trac.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:32 AM   #8
dennyct@hotmail.com will become famous soon enough
Navy: Naval Security Group
dennyct@hotmail.com's Tacoma Gallery
Sport

If you want to blacken, debadge and take your truck off road and beat the sh*t out of it, get the Off Road. If you want to keep your truck clean and have it look like a show truck, get the Sport
Attached Thumbnails
Highway-City-Boat Pulling:  Off-Road?-mvc-594f.jpg   Highway-City-Boat Pulling:  Off-Road?-mvc-595f.jpg  
Old 07-02-2009, 08:51 AM   #9
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Are you buying a new one?

Get the Sport because you like everthing on it. It'll do just fine for mild-moderate offroading. The only way you're gonna know how it performs is GET OUT THERE and wheel it!!!

You can always add a locker in the rear later on if you think you'll need one.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncleaner View Post
Sounds like any V6 4x4 model will suit your needs fine. ...SR5 (again $2K less)...If $ not issue then if your gonna spend the extra dough for a TRD pkg at least the Off-road you get a rear locker, skid plates, and A-trac.
Agreed, however Im looking at purchasing new, and would like to drive it until the wheels fall off...so while money IS an issue, $2k would be money well spent if otherwise I find myself in two years wishing I would have gotten the TRD package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Are you buying a new one?

Get the Sport because you like everthing on it. It'll do just fine for mild-moderate offroading. The only way you're gonna know how it performs is GET OUT THERE and wheel it!!!

You can always add a locker in the rear later on if you think you'll need one.
True. I think the Sport package has enough of what I need, and most of what I want. Probably the best fit for me. Now to decide between Silver and Metallic Grey lol.