1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Highway-City-Boat Pulling: Off-Road?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by IrishPilot, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Jul 2, 2009 at 6:49 AM
    IrishPilot

IrishPilot [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road 4x4 Double Cab
    Pretty much just had figured the 4x4 Sport would suit me best for Minnesota winters and mostly street driving and pulling the boat (18.6 ft Rinker IO). I also dig the hood scoop...though would love whitewall tires at some point like the off-road.

Any reason a guy like me should consider the TRD Off-Road package instead of TRD Sport considering I will probably do minimal off-roading?
    (Or...maybe once I got a truck Id really get into it like many of you!)

2. Jul 2, 2009 at 6:51 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    That's the chance you take... if you don't think you'll be doing any hardcore offroading, stay with the sport... it's still plenty capable without the locker.

If you think you'll really get into it, spring for the OR for the e-locker.

I like the sports better because of the color matched items and scoop. :D

3. Jul 2, 2009 at 6:56 AM
    IrishPilot

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    Agreed. Ive been wanting a Tacoma for about 10 damn years now, and could just never justify it with my lifestyle, income, etc. Present day it makes more sense, though I hate the idea of gas prices, etc. If I lived somewhere where it didnt snow I would probably be considering something more economical.

That being said, I want to make sure there isnt something with the Off-Road that Im overlooking, being a newb trucker...wanna do it right the first time.

4. Jul 2, 2009 at 6:58 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    sometimes wish I got the OR package instead of the sport but I also like all the color matched stuff. I didnt know I would get so hooked on off-roading when i bought the truck.

5. Jul 2, 2009 at 6:59 AM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    You could do pretty much everything. If you're doing some really hairy stuff then just bring a buddy to help get unstuck that's really all the locker is designed for to get unstuck, off course it could be used for more. If you like the hood scoop and all the color matched stuff then go for the sport.

I have yet to be in any situations that I absolutly needed the locker.

If all you like is the scoop from the sport then you could try and find a sport hood and put it on the offroad model.

6. Jul 2, 2009 at 7:27 AM
    Demoncleaner

Demoncleaner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    05 Dcab 6spd 4x4 TRD Sport w/Tow
    TRD exhaust Homemade bed mat & bed extender, front Drings, Short clutch throw, Summer: Stock 17's Winter: Blizzaks on 16' black steelies
    Sounds like any V6 4x4 model will suit your needs fine. Sport or Off-road adds $2K. The 09' Sport really only has more cosmetic stuff (scoop, color matching trim, smoked lights, 17" rims) for looks over a decent equiped SR5 (again $2K less). Same traction systems, but narrower tires on the SR5 will do better in winter over the Sport, at the expense of slightly less cornering grip on the dry. If $ not issue then if your gonna spend the extra dough for a TRD pkg at least the Off-road you get a rear locker, skid plates, and A-trac.

7. Jul 2, 2009 at 7:29 AM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    I'd hunt the little pricks down. Go on offense. Did you recognize any of them? They ran on foot? Car?

8. Jul 2, 2009 at 7:32 AM
    dennyct@hotmail.com

dennyct@hotmail.com Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida & New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Sport
    Estang Tri-Fold
    If you want to blacken, debadge and take your truck off road and beat the sh*t out of it, get the Off Road. If you want to keep your truck clean and have it look like a show truck, get the Sport

mvc-594f.jpg
    mvc-595f.jpg

9. Jul 2, 2009 at 7:51 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Are you buying a new one?

Get the Sport because you like everthing on it. It'll do just fine for mild-moderate offroading. The only way you're gonna know how it performs is GET OUT THERE and wheel it!!!

You can always add a locker in the rear later on if you think you'll need one.

10. Jul 2, 2009 at 8:13 AM
    IrishPilot

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    Agreed, however Im looking at purchasing new, and would like to drive it until the wheels fall off...so while money IS an issue, $2k would be money well spent if otherwise I find myself in two years wishing I would have gotten the TRD package.

True. I think the Sport package has enough of what I need, and most of what I want. Probably the best fit for me. Now to decide between Silver and Metallic Grey lol.

Products Discussed in

To Top