1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear leaf tsb completed

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tarik88, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Dec 3, 2007 at 4:02 PM
    tarik88

tarik88 [OP] Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Prerunner TRD SPORT
    so i got my rear leaf tsb done today i just picked up the truck..it looks good the rear is higher than before and the tech said to me "the trucks going to ride harder, you will feel more bumps then before" but guess what i didnt notice a diffrence its still rides more like a car then a pickup truck :D.....but what i did notice is that the driver side has 3 leafs and the passenger side has 4....i can tell they replaced both sides cause its nice and clean and its got all the factory stickers...does anyone know if this is normal...i hope so....:confused::confused:

2. Dec 3, 2007 at 4:05 PM
    Toy4Life

Toy4Life 668: The Neighbor of the Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    96 Subaru Outback 2.2 5mt
    92 4Runner SR5 3.0v6 4x4(sold) 02 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad 4x4 (sold)
    This doesn't sound normal.

3. Dec 3, 2007 at 4:17 PM
    tarik88

tarik88 [OP] Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    anyone out there with the tsb done...can u verify???

4. Dec 3, 2007 at 4:46 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    it should be 4 leafs in both...

5. Dec 3, 2007 at 4:46 PM
    rick

rick `

Member:
    should be 4 on both sides, take it back. they tried to do that with my truck.

6. Dec 3, 2007 at 6:07 PM
    surfponto

surfponto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Leucadia (Sunny San Diego)
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4x4 SR5 2.7 ltr
    ATC Bobcat slide in camper 8 Dakar leaf springs in back
    Yep our 2007 Tacoma has 4 leafs on both sides after the TSB.

7. Dec 3, 2007 at 6:16 PM
    TuRDTACO

TuRDTACO Carolina Alliance: Midwest Firearms Division

Member:
    joliet, il
    Vehicle:
    HAD 07 TRD OFFROAD PRERUNNER
    small dent on the hood, new foglight bulb, roughed up bedliner, been smoked in, suspicious stains on the passenger seat, boogers on the drivers seat, dirty floor mats, girl doodles on the dirty windows, loose wiring
    dood i have a 4pack on both sides....you'd better get a gang of free stuff because of this

8. Dec 3, 2007 at 6:33 PM
    tarik88

tarik88 [OP] Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    okay guys ..thanks alot for the help i will be back at the dealer tomorrow speaking to the service manager cause this is bull s***....

9. Dec 3, 2007 at 6:36 PM
    TuRDTACO

Member:
    joliet, il
    Vehicle:
    small dent on the hood, new foglight bulb, roughed up bedliner, been smoked in, suspicious stains on the passenger seat, boogers on the drivers seat, dirty floor mats, girl doodles on the dirty windows, loose wiring
    yea it is...demand 15 complete sets of all of the OEM tacoma accessories, minus the bugshields, and then we'll all pay for our own shipping so you can disperse them throughout the alliance

10. Dec 3, 2007 at 6:52 PM
    yosh2000

yosh2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tundra CM 5.7
    or, you could always wreck the truck, and sue toyota cause they released a truck that was unfit and unsafe to drive!

there is no way you should have two different springs that will have two different spring rates on them!

11. Dec 3, 2007 at 9:09 PM
    TuRDTACO

Member:
    joliet, il
    Vehicle:
    either way you go, that needs to get taken care of bro and so do you, the dealer f'ed up something fierce

12. Dec 3, 2007 at 9:39 PM
    LRH

LRH Well-Known Member

Member:
    GA USA
    Vehicle:
    '07 2.7L PreRunner
    There was talk a while back that some boxes were labled correctly, but the parts in the box were the wrong ones, as well as some dealers just flat out ordering the wrong parts. Look to see if the correct U-bolt was used with the wrong spring; it should have about 3/4" threads protruding out where the 4 pack should have about 3/8" or so. If they have the long U-bolts and a 3 pack, then the chance are good that the springs were boxed wrong. You are about the 4th person I have heard of having a 3 and a 4 pack. if htey are boxed wrong, don't blame the dealer, as they arte just following the TSB by matching numbers. Some vehicles in the past(few) did have an additional leaf in one side, and some (quite a few) have a different leaf in one or more positions in the pack on one side versus the other. The Tacoma's have one front coil spring longer on one side versus the other, but the difference between the 3 and 4 leaf pack is quite a bit of difference, but no more unsafe than the driver and a full tank of gas being on the same side, which is also quite a bit of difference.

13. Dec 4, 2007 at 7:59 PM
    TuRDTACO

Member:
    joliet, il
    Vehicle:
    ahh i see...that all makes sense too

14. Dec 5, 2007 at 4:31 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    The front coils do have two different weight ratings...but I've never heard of any tacomas having irregular leaf counts from side to side from the factory.

The fact that the Toyota techs installed a 3 leaf pak on one side and a 4 pak on the other is TOTALLY in-excusable. Any SMART tech should've stopped and said, "There's something wrong here!!!" and took the time to double check the part numbers, called Toyota directly, and/or even took some time to research before installing anything on the truck. If they would've taken the time - they would've discovered they had an issue!! I just can't believe their own Toyota Techs didn't notice ....... and they're supposed to be *Certified*?? (whatever that means?)

(sorry - I just can't believe they would've done that)
    I just got the TSB done on my truck 2 days ago. 4 leafs....

15. Dec 5, 2007 at 5:00 AM
    Viper-2

Viper-2 Secret Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods
    As everyone else has said...NOT normal.

16. Dec 5, 2007 at 5:02 AM
    Viper-2

Viper-2 Secret Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods
    Hey Janster, why do they have two different weight ratings? Just curious, I've never heard of that before.

17. Dec 5, 2007 at 6:23 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I honestly don't know the details.... but back when I owned my 96 and got together with some PA TTORA folks - we installed lots of lifts for folks. All I know is - the drivers side coil is 'longer' (xtra winding). No official answer why. At the time - most of the tacoma folks just assumed because the engine bay had more components on the drivers side plus the gas tank (1st generation tacomas).

At the time - when folks installed lift kits, they were blessed with the *toyota lean* where the trucks didn't sit level after removing the stock components. I had Rancho 1.5" lift for years and switched to OME lift - and still had the toyota lean. I remember installing 1/4" thick spacer ontop the drivers side coil assembly just to help straighten it out.

I don't know if the new taco's have side specific coils or not. Anyone who has installed a spacer and/or had removed their coils can count the windings and know if one is longer than the other.

18. Dec 5, 2007 at 4:39 PM
    LRH

LRH Well-Known Member

Member:
    GA USA
    Vehicle:
    '07 2.7L PreRunner

19. Dec 5, 2007 at 4:44 PM
    tarik88

tarik88 [OP] Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    well guys I drop the truck off yesterday at the dealer and i told the service advisor what they did so he got one of his techs to come over and look at it the tech says"thats normal thats what the tsb calls for" i said NO ITS NOT NORMAL i said everyone else that had the tsb done has 4 leafs on both sides...so he says "let me call toyota" after waiting 15 mins he comes back and says "you have to leave the truck and we will call toyota tomorrow cause they are closed right now" so i left it there and i got a call from the dealership today around 5pm and the service advisor says "we ordered the new parts they will be here tomorrow and your truck will be done tomorrow" so lets see what they f*** up this time......:rolleyes:.....

p.s i also called and left a message the service manager to complain about this.....guess what he never called me back

20. Dec 5, 2007 at 4:54 PM
    LRH

LRH Well-Known Member

Member:
    GA USA
    Vehicle:
    '07 2.7L PreRunner

The first series Tundra's had different springs left and right, and the current Tacoma's carry different springs left and right, but are wound the same direction, and same part number shock fits left and right. I have always heard due to the gas tank, battery and driver are all on the same side. My 07 Tacoma has about 3/8-1/2 additional coil from one to the other, and so did my Tundra.

Products Discussed in

To Top