1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Want better MPG?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Krazie Sj, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Jul 2, 2009 at 12:01 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj [OP] Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Air your tires up to the maximum.

In an effort to fix my TPMS light that never turns off, I tried airing down my tires to the door jam recommendations. (It should be noted here I'm running Michelin LTX M/S at 35 PSI max)
    After doing that my MGP suffered horribly. I believe it's supposed to be 29 and 27 PSI for the door jam. Whatever it is, my gas consumption grew. I've lost easily a good 30-50 miles off a single tank of gas compared to what I normally get.

Try airing your tires up to the tire maximum for a tank of gas and see if you improve at all.

Just be careful with the back tires cause from driving for the past year and a half, I have noticed just a little uneven wear on the back two tires from them just barely bulging due to no weight in the back of my truck generally. If you run a big enough tool box or a shell I can't see if being a problem.

2. Jul 2, 2009 at 12:11 PM
    Ghost96Romeo

Ghost96Romeo What is the Search Tab for????

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off-Road D-Cab
    3" Pro-Comp Suspension Lift AAL Rear w/TSB, All-Pro Plate Bumper, Lightforce 240 Blitz lights, Lund Genesis Roll-top Bed cover, K&N Filters, Spidertrax Wheel spacers, Built-by-Me Rock Sliders, Jeep Tow-Hook, Black Leather seats, 48"Hi-Lift Jack mounted in the bed, Blacked out TRD Rims, BHLM, FLM..... and Awesomeness
    Thats not a good idea.....You sacrifice handling capabilities of the tires and they will wear un-evenly.

3. Jul 2, 2009 at 12:41 PM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    After loading and unloading my truck with the tires aired to the doorjam, I found I prefer the higher PSI. And I keep tabs on my wear on my tires. Like I said, max PSI is 35 which is what I have the front two at. The back I have at 32ish now. 35 was causing a little (And I mean little) uneven wearing.

As for handling, no issues. Been driving for 1 ½ years with them aired up that much, and no issues. Only had on accident and that's cause I accelerated on a turn while changing lanes on a bridge in winter.

(Yeah I'm dumb...)

4. Jul 2, 2009 at 1:25 PM
    FL4x4Taco

FL4x4Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Krazie- What you can do is make whiteout or paint marker lines across the tires. Drive the truck around the neighborhood and monitor wear patterns. I ended up airing my front tires to max psi; 35 cold. I drive empty, by myself most of the time, no cargo etc... 30psi cold. This gives me optimal wear and fuel economy. Which is the $$$ sweet spot. I'm on stock rugged trails and whatever wheels come on the TRD-OR. Averaging 18-19 mpg combined of city & back country roads.

5. Jul 2, 2009 at 1:49 PM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    You can do that sure. Myself, I just checked the tread depth on both sides and the middle of the tire. I found for the rears 35 was a little too much as the depth in the middle of the tire is maybe a millimeter or two less than both sides of the tire on the outside.

But the gas savings are ridiculous. I'm just curious as to how many people air their tires to the door jam or the tire manufacturers spec.

Products Discussed in

To Top