Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Lsd additive vs. Differential modifier

Old 07-03-2009, 08:01 AM   #1
Begin With The End In Mind.
carmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: KEVIN
carmellocafe's Tacoma Gallery
Lsd additive vs. Differential modifier

Hey everyone. I'm going to change my diff fluid today & have been studying Chris 4X4's write-up. I ended up getting some lsd additive, but noticed even though I got the same brand of additive as what is seen in Chris's write up, the label says: "Differential Friction Modifier" rather than "Limited Slip Additive." Does anyone know what the difference may be? Should I go after the "Additive?" or will the "Modifier" work just the same?" Any help is greatly appreciated...
BTW-- Chris & Brian, excellent right up! It persuaded me to overcome my reluctance to attempt this service.You guys are great!
Old 07-03-2009, 08:07 AM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmellocafe View Post
Hey everyone. I'm going to change my diff fluid today & have been studying Chris 4X4's write-up. I ended up getting some lsd additive, but noticed even though I got the same brand of additive as what is seen in Chris's write up, the label says: "Differential Friction Modifier" rather than "Limited Slip Additive." Does anyone know what the difference may be? Should I go after the "Additive?" or will the "Modifier" work just the same?" Any help is greatly appreciated...
BTW-- Chris & Brian, excellent right up! It persuaded me to overcome my reluctance to attempt this service.You guys are great!
Umm...well....

It says on the bottle:
Meets OEM Recommendations for Limited Slip differentials GM, FORD, & Chrysler.

Did you read the information on the back? Perhaps it'll give you some exact information, like what type or whatever. Does it meet Toyota recommendations per your owners manual?
Old 07-03-2009, 09:08 AM   #3
Begin With The End In Mind.
carmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: KEVIN
carmellocafe's Tacoma Gallery
Good eye Jan, I noticed "GM; Chrysler" (After the fact). I think I'll probably go see if I can find something that has "Toyota" name on it just to be on the safe side. Thanks

Still wondering what the difference between "Modifier" & "Additive" is though...
Old 07-03-2009, 12:34 PM   #4
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Still wondering what the difference between "Modifier" & "Additive" is though...
I personally think it's the same... but with differences in manufacturers and how the LSD's are made - it's probably better off to go with something you know is recommended for your truck.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:27 PM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota uses the GM stuff in their LSD diffs. The stuff Brian and I have in the pic is the best stuff to use.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:41 PM   #7
What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? CHICKEN?
moto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
moto932's Tacoma Gallery
dumb question, how do i tell if i have a lsd? reason im asking is i plan on changing the rear diff a t case oil. thanks in advance!
Old 07-06-2009, 05:43 PM   #8
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto932 View Post
dumb question, how do i tell if i have a lsd? reason im asking is i plan on changing the rear diff a t case oil. thanks in advance!
You should have a sticker on the rear diff, or it will say in the glove box.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:54 PM   #9
rabble rabble rabble
dud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Humane Officer
Name: Dan
dud122's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dud122
Quote:
dumb question, how do i tell if i have a lsd?

well it can vary by person but if you can see the grass growing, its raining blood, you just saw a worm swallow the bird whole, and for some reason your friend is puking up rainbows... or something like that... i would say your probably on lsd

...oh wait you said HAVE lsd... sorry can't help
Old 07-06-2009, 05:58 PM   #10
moto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

moto932's Tacoma Gallery
nothing in glove box, worn out sticker on rear diff but looks like it was a bar code sticker, not the red and silver lsd sticker. do tacos still have lsd if they have the locker which i have?
Old 07-06-2009, 06:02 PM   #11

Quote:
nothing in glove box, worn out sticker on rear diff but looks like it was a bar code sticker, not the red and silver lsd sticker. do tacos still have lsd if they have the locker which i have?
I didnt see you had an 04. You dont have the LS diff.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:08 PM   #12

moto932's Tacoma Gallery
so i dont need any additives for my oil?
Old 07-06-2009, 06:17 PM   #13

Quote:
so i dont need any additives for my oil?
Nope! Use your favorite slippery stuff, and enjoy.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:19 PM   #14

moto932's Tacoma Gallery
thanks a ton!

pos rep sent
Old 07-06-2009, 10:18 PM   #15
XC4ME is one of the sharper tools in the shedXC4ME is one of the sharper tools in the shedXC4ME is one of the sharper tools in the shedXC4ME is one of the sharper tools in the shedXC4ME is one of the sharper tools in the shedXC4ME is one of the sharper tools in the shedXC4ME is one of the sharper tools in the shedXC4ME is one of the sharper tools in the shedXC4ME is one of the sharper tools in the shedXC4ME is one of the sharper tools in the shedXC4ME is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
XC4ME's Tacoma Gallery
I bought this same stuff too. When I got it home I noticed the GM, Ford, Chrysler note.
I called the manufacture and they said it would be fine to use. I did it last week and all seems to be well.

Note: The fill bolt was a beotch to get loose. I had to use a long breaker bar.

Quote: