Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Locker on TRD offroad 2wd

Old 07-03-2009, 03:27 PM   #1
Banned
bermise will become famous soon enough
bermise's Tacoma Gallery
Locker on TRD offroad 2wd

Does anybody have any experience with the the rear lockers offroad? I have used mine several times but just to make sure they work, never in a jam. I am curious to how much they help you out offroad.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:29 PM   #2
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
They've helped me climb some steep stuff with ruts.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:43 PM   #3
Banned
bermise's Tacoma Gallery
what is fastest you have driven with the lockers engaged?
Old 07-03-2009, 03:44 PM   #4
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

~45mph in the desert.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:08 PM   #5
Banned
bermise's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, I did not go you could go that fast with the lockers engaged. When traveling higher speeds, can you feel any difference with the lockers on?
Old 07-04-2009, 10:57 PM   #6

Not really, it's just for peace of mind in the sand. The 4X4 guys can only stay below 5 mph with the locker engaged, but the PreRunner has no limit. I don't think you should really be going that fast with it on though.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:59 PM   #8
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekabraham View Post
.......The 4X4 guys can only stay below 5 mph with the locker engaged..
no, unless i'm doing it wrong or something.. hahahahahahahahahaha
Old 07-05-2009, 09:23 AM   #10
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekabraham View Post
Not really, it's just for peace of mind in the sand. The 4X4 guys can only stay below 5 mph with the locker engaged, but the PreRunner has no limit. I don't think you should really be going that fast with it on though.
5mph is the maximum speed you can engage the locker at. Once it's engaged, there's no limit to how fast us 4x4 guys can go with it.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
5mph is the maximum speed you can engage the locker at. Once it's engaged, there's no limit to how fast us 4x4 guys can go with it.

Oh my bad.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:24 PM   #12
Banned
bermise's Tacoma Gallery
so it is the same for the prerunners and the 4X4 guys. Good to know, I need to experiement with mine some more.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:24 PM   #13
Banned
bermise's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkeller View Post
You can go as fast as your conscience lets you. Just make sure you are not on gravel.
Why not in gravel?
Old 07-05-2009, 12:36 PM   #15
matthew5olson is a jewel in the roughmatthew5olson is a jewel in the roughmatthew5olson is a jewel in the rough

Name: matthew
matthew5olson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bermise View Post
what is fastest you have driven with the lockers engaged?
90mph on a dragstrip. I have the 3.4V6 and I can drop the clutch at 4000 rpm and not spin out at all with the locker engaged
and it helped me out a lot on the hills. I have a 4x4 and I had no problem on the hills I went up. Just hit the gas and go.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:39 PM   #16
Banned
bermise's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkeller View Post
Oh sorry. I meant pavement/concrete.
Is it bad to drive on pavement with the lockers engaged? I have done it a couple of times in the last year at very low speeds just to keep it warm and in use.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:59 PM   #19
TreyMR2 has a spectacular aura aboutTreyMR2 has a spectacular aura about
TreyMR2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bermise View Post
Is it bad to drive on pavement with the lockers engaged? I have done it a couple of times in the last year at very low speeds just to keep it warm and in use.
It'll just be really jerky around corners. Where normally your inner and outter rear wheels can spin at different speeds they'd both be going the same speed and on pavement its gonna make one wheel either be slipping or hoping all over the place. But in a straight line it isn't gonna hurt you any.