1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Suspension TSB not listed for the 08 - done today on my 08 DC

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by JJK, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Dec 11, 2007 at 8:25 AM
    dsds

dsds Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary AB
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC TRD Sport - Black Sand Pearl
    TacomaWorld sticker, DRL mod, running boards, roof rack, remote start / security alarm, marker/turn signal mod, map light with dome light mod, TRD seat covers, rear spring TSB
    Here is that article that the link is supposed to show:

Toyota plant accused of passing defects

thestar.com
    Nov 20, 2007

TOKYO – An employee at a California plant run jointly by General Motors and Toyota is accusing her managers of allowing serious defects to go unchecked, including faulty seat belts and braking, and retaliating when she resisted, according to a lawsuit filed earlier this month.
    In the case before Alameda County Superior Court in California, Katy Cameron, a certified auditor who has worked for 23 years at New United Motor Manufacturing Inc., says management routinely deleted or downgraded defects from her reports on vehicles since 2005.
    The lawsuit, filed Nov. 6, demands unspecified damages for retaliation against a whistleblower and intentional infliction of emotional distress from NUMMI, Toyota Motor Corp., Toyota in North America and General Motors Corp.
    According to legal documents obtained Tuesday by The Associated Press, defects that were intentionally passed over included broken seat belts, faulty headlights, inadequate braking, mirrors falling off, engine oil leaks and steering wheel alignment problems – all in an effort to decrease the number of defects. It is not clear whether any defects resulted in accidents.
    When Cameron, a trained expert at spotting defects, complained, her bosses struck back, demoting her twice, accusing her of being crazy and violent, forcing her to submit to mental fitness tests, according to the documents.
    An officer at NUMMI, the Freemont, Calif.-based joint venture, threatened to fire her and then tried to get the personnel department to dismiss her, the lawsuit said.
    "NUMMI has done everything in its power to try to break Cameron psychologically and force her from the workplace," the lawsuit said. "Cameron is an American hero who will not be silenced by multibillion dollar corporations at the expense of hardworking American consumers and families.''
    As a result of the persistent on-the-job maltreatment and harassment, Cameron has been getting medical treatment for stress, depression, fatigue, insomnia and panic attacks, it said. She is now on medical leave.
    Toyota in Japan declined comment on the lawsuit, saying it was still looking into the allegations. But it did release a statement Tuesday saying it was "tackling quality problems as a top priority.''
    GM spokesman in Tokyo Michihiro Yamamori said he did not know about the lawsuit.
    NUMMI, set up as a joint venture in 1984, produces the Corolla subcompact, Tacoma pickup and Pontiac Vibe wagon. One of the plant's purposes was to have American workers learn Toyota's production methods. It has been the topic of numerous labor relations studies, and the company claims teamwork and safety among its "core values.''
    Quality problems have been creeping up at Toyota, which traditionally has a stellar reputation for reliability. Toyota's recalls have ballooned over the last couple of years, and President Katsuaki Watanabe has promised to beef up quality control.
    Last month, Consumer Reports said Toyota "is showing cracks in its armor" and will no longer get automatic recommendations from the magazine when it releases new or redesigned vehicles. It also removed several Toyota vehicles from its recommended list because of quality issues.
    Toyota, which appears to be on track to beat GM as the world's biggest automaker by sales as soon as this year, recalled 766,000 vehicles in the United States last year, down from 2.2 million in 2005, but up from 210,000 in 2003.
    The lawsuit says NUMMI management blocked Cameron from communicating with other departments, including the quality division at Toyota in Japan, by barring her from meetings and denying her an opportunity to be considered for travel assignments.
    The "Toyota way" of manufacturing is emulated by manufacturers around the world not only because it eliminates waste but also because it empowers the individual worker. In principle, workers are encouraged to stop an entire assembly lines if a problem arises.

2. Dec 11, 2007 at 8:38 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    thanks mvega, i'll try it now...

3. Dec 11, 2007 at 8:43 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    huh.... i'd like to know which part of that is true and whats not. One thing sounds clear though, GM is an infectious disease. See how after working with them for just a short while Toyota starts having problems.... The only cure for a disease like that is a good diesel engine in their trucks....

4. Dec 11, 2007 at 5:51 PM
    khfactor

khfactor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philadelphia, PA
    Vehicle:
    07 White TRD Sport
    Pop N Lock + Hose Clamp. DTRL, AFE drop-In Dry filter, 6-1/2" Replacement Speakers, JVC HD Radio, Sam's club variety Floor mats (cheap but effective), Chrome Exhaust tip, Bed Mat from ol' Ford Ranger. As of 3/25/2020, the Odometer just turned 70K.
    Mine is 2007 TRD 4x4 Sport Access cab and is only two weeks old with 158 miles on it. Should I insist on dealer perform the TSB on mine? I do not typically haul heavy stuff, but I plan on getting yards of dirt, mulches, and gardening stones etc... come spring.

My old 2002 Ford ranger FX4 4.0 L litterally bottomed out when I had 1/2 yard of dirt loaded and I do not want to see this happen on my NEW Taco....

5. Dec 11, 2007 at 6:20 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    go for it....may as well if u'll actually use it

6. Dec 12, 2007 at 6:30 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    yeah, i have a TRD and got it done and love it. It's stiff at first but after a while the leafs break in and it feels the same as it did before but the back sits higher and you can haul more

7. Dec 12, 2007 at 7:03 AM
    Jimbo

Jimbo Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07_4x4_Access Cab_V-6_Manual-6_Silver Mica
    None yet
    Absolutely! Yes, get the TSB done regardless of whay you haul. Your truck will then be all it was intended to be whether you haul or not. The ride and handling is greatly improved IMHO. I have a non-TRD 4x4 with the TSB done that includes 4-leaf packs and 4-Bilsteins. It's raised 1.5 at the rear and slightly at the front. I think it looks cool to! Find a good dealership. They aren't all the same. Good luck.

8. Dec 12, 2007 at 1:53 PM
    khfactor

Member:
    Philadelphia, PA
    Vehicle:
    07 White TRD Sport
    Pop N Lock + Hose Clamp. DTRL, AFE drop-In Dry filter, 6-1/2" Replacement Speakers, JVC HD Radio, Sam's club variety Floor mats (cheap but effective), Chrome Exhaust tip, Bed Mat from ol' Ford Ranger. As of 3/25/2020, the Odometer just turned 70K.
    I understand that the dealer(S) would perfotm the TSB based on the customer complaints... But my truck being so new and have not had a chance to even break in the engine, how or what can I say to the dealer to convince that the TSB is needed. I know the dealers will BS unti ltheir face turns blue, but that does not mean I have to lower (lying) myself to their level just to get the TSB done.

I am thinking maybe.... since I have a 3 year warranty, perhaps I could wait until this spring until I get a chance to haul 500 sheets of 8x10 ( :D) print papers in the bed, then charge up to the dealer and demand the TSB....

Do you think that would be more convincing???

9. Dec 12, 2007 at 2:11 PM
    sawdust

sawdust Unapologetic Texan

Member:
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad Radiant Red V6 Auto DC
    Homelink mirror, tailgate lock, 2ndary air filter removal, Access LE tonneau, Bugflector II, hitch-based bed extender, vent visors, suspension TSB, stall mat
    I've got about 2800 miles on mine and my first oil change is free at the dealership. My plan is to ask about this TSB when I schedule that oil change. Part of the reason for that is that I'm hoping by then it'll be "business as usual" at the dealership because they've already dealt with it a few times.

10. Dec 12, 2007 at 2:22 PM
    khfactor

Member:
    Philadelphia, PA
    Vehicle:
    07 White TRD Sport
    Good plan!! I already printed out the TSB and it is tucked away in my folder so I am ready to confront the dealership when the time comes..... To make it little bit more convincing, I will get some dirt and rub them over the skin of the truck bed to look like I hauled some dirt , then I will demand the TSB...

BTW, I did not get a free oil change from the dealership. Why I oughtta !!:mad:

11. Dec 13, 2007 at 3:29 AM
    Viper-2

Viper-2 Secret Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods
    Man, they shouldn't even call this a TSB anymore, they should rename it an "option."

The stock ride is smooth and great but this is more truck like and I love it. But they are two different animals and they should state it to people who don't have the luxury of going online to know about it.

Those poor folks don't get to know about the TSB OR hear the amazing humor of the Alliance! :D

12. Dec 13, 2007 at 3:33 AM
    Viper-2

Viper-2 Secret Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods
    It figures...a bunch of GM assholes adding shit to the lemonade. What was Toyota thinking when it allied itself with that dinosaur??? :confused:

I know some trucks have had braking issues but what about: broken seat belts, faulty headlights, mirrors falling off, engine oil leaks and steering wheel alignment problems??

Now I gotta keep checking under my truck for oil leaks.

13. Dec 13, 2007 at 7:18 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    You just paid a sh!t load for a truck, and if there's a TSB you deserve it just as much as the rest of us. Tell him you helped your dad haul some shingles right after you got it and it kept bottoming out with only 600lbs. sometimes you do have to lie to dealers to get what you deserve... unfortunately. However, dont just assume the dealer is full of dicks. I called my dealer and just told them i wanted it done. They said no problem, and ordered the parts without me even taking the truck in. They were at the dealer about 4 days later.... which makes me think the "nationwide backorder" thing is BS. and if your not comfortable lying, find soemthing heavy to put in the back and drive over a hump in a neighborhood.

14. Dec 13, 2007 at 7:22 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    Good plan, i forgot to mentin that part. Make sure you know exactly what the TSB says and what years its for. The tech i talked to was not familiar with it and said he needed to look it up. I said the TSB # is... blah blah blah, it incudes these models, i have this model, which means i dont get the shocks but i get the leafs.... i basically read it to him while he was looking it up. That may have contributed to him not giving me crap. people only screw people over they assume are ignorant. Just look compitant, that will help

15. Dec 13, 2007 at 7:42 AM
    Jimbo

Jimbo Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    None yet
    Really, you shouldn't have to contrive a way to get the upgrade that has already been approved pending you asking for it, period. All I did was explain that my new truck with 4000+ miles at the time, seemed to be to soft and squirelly in the suspension. I told them it's near bottoming out with just moderate loads and that I know of a TSB out to cover it. She (manager), said she'd check my VIN# and call me. In 30 minutes or so she called and said I have ordered your parts, but I have to tell you that the upgrade will make your ride stiffer (firmer). I agreed that that would be fine with me sinse it's a truck and all. They got the parts in 3-5 days and called me. I left it there for 2.5 days, and took a loaner. It was a great improvement as I've told everyone many times. So, I hope you have a good service manager. I wouldn't wait for the end of your warranty, or at all. You never know if and when they suddenly cancel or modify the TSB? Good luck.

16. Dec 13, 2007 at 7:54 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    I agree you shouldn't have to plan and scheme and lie to get a TSB done that Toyota Corporate deemed necessary, unfortunately some dealers make so we have to lie, cheat, steal, and kill in order to get what they owe us. I hate it

17. Dec 13, 2007 at 1:13 PM
    Jimbo

Jimbo Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    None yet
    That being said.
    Give your dealership a chance first and don't assume their going to be difficult to work with. I myself and others I have read in many threads have received great treatment and consideration by some great dealerships trying to keep the customer happy by doing the right thing.
    Being up front and honest of what you know and informing them of the TSB and the issue your having will usually do it. If not, then use the club! :rolleyes:

18. Dec 13, 2007 at 2:44 PM
    dsds

dsds Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary AB
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC TRD Sport - Black Sand Pearl
    TacomaWorld sticker, DRL mod, running boards, roof rack, remote start / security alarm, marker/turn signal mod, map light with dome light mod, TRD seat covers, rear spring TSB
    any chance someone has the Canadian TSB number?

Products Discussed in

To Top