1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

headlight bulb removal

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by reg boulette, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Jul 5, 2009 at 2:38 AM
    reg boulette

reg boulette [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    New 09 Access Cab....over the past few days, have disconnected battery and gone over wiring harness injecting di-electric grease into the wiring junction connectors to protect against corrosion. (incidentally a small plastic medical syringe - with needle removed - does a fine job)

Stymied by the connector for the headllight bulbs - afraid of breaking a wire and the harness doesn't come off easily. Read in a post associated with modding the headlight lenses that the whole headlight module has to come out to change the bulb, but the owner's manual suggest sliding off connector, then removing rubber gasket, unclipping spring, then sliding out bulb.

Should that wiring harness come off without module removal? (maybe just have to give it a little more grunt?)

For those wondering why I would go to trouble of greasing electrical connectors - do this with each new vehicle - you'd be surprised at the number of connectors that aren't seated properly or have a 'safe' curvation of wiring to the junction. Only one bad one I found on this vehicle - connector to reverse gear sensor on manual transmission was really crimped at junction so loosened off to avoid wire breakage later with vibration. Also, apparently in 2006, lead in solder was banned, so push grease well back into connector to protect terminal pins.
    NOTE-should you grease your junctions, leave the ones for the 02 sensors alone, as grease might melt, run down wire, and foul the exterior part of sensor.

2. Jul 5, 2009 at 3:16 AM
    mpgnc64

mpgnc64 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike and Denise
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Access cab 4cyl 5spd, 2000 Prerunner
    Tool box, Thule rack, rod holders, 5100s at 1.75 and the TSB
    Good extra measure. Growing up on large boats (saltwater) Dad had us do all the connections. I still do it to all my stuff. My Xbox used to complain I spent to much time working on the vehicles, but she was never stranded by one. Maybe I should have left hers alone.

3. Jul 5, 2009 at 3:29 AM
    TicTacOma

TicTacOma UnderWater Monopoly Champion

Member:
    First Name:
    Anastatia Beaverhausen
    Columbia,SC
    Vehicle:
    I'm Thinking...Oh Yeah...An FJ
    It's all in my head at the moment...

...or made sure the brakes were properly greased.

Products Discussed in

To Top