Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Bed Box

Old 12-05-2007, 06:41 AM   #1
Big Cat Chew Toy
GTiVR6r is on a distinguished road

GTiVR6r's Tacoma Gallery
Bed Box

After 7"+ snow fall here in the western suburbs of Chicago, I decided it was finally time to build a bed box to put some sand bags over the rear axel for better traction in the slick stuff.

Mind you mine is a 4x2 Access Cab so all you 4x4 guys bugger off.

I used 2x6 dimensional lumber held together with 3" long construction screws.
My old Mazda bed had pockets for boards for this exact purpose, but my Taco does not, thus the need to build one.

I started with the main runners on either side of the wheel hump in the bed at (2) @ 53" long. Then (2) @ 36-3/16" for the braces between the runners.
See photos.

Held it together with (3) 3" construction screws in each corner and them filled it with concrete blocks, bags of sand, some old 50# dumbells and 3 bundles of unused shingles. Approx 400# of weight now over the rear axel for better traction.
Attached Thumbnails
Bed Box-img00455.jpg   Bed Box-img00458.jpg  
Old 12-05-2007, 07:45 AM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Nice idea!! Looks pretty simple to make!

Sand bags slide around alot - more than you'd think. I wish I would've seen this idea YEARS ago. I guess I was too busy to be that creative....

These new tacoma beds are SLIPPERY!! More so than a typical bedliner or even herculiner. I bought a bed mat for mine - and I'm amazed at how it's been holding the sand bags in place. We'll see if it continues to hold 'em - especially in really cold weather when the sand bags are rock hard. I might have to build me one of those...

Old 12-05-2007, 08:11 AM   #3
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Pretty creative GT... i guess big guys can be smart too
Old 12-05-2007, 10:19 AM   #4
Big Cat Chew Toy

GTiVR6r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
Pretty creative GT... i guess big guys can be smart too
Yeah, I'm pretty handy with power tools.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:04 PM   #5
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
That looks great...for me to poop on.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:59 PM   #6
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
nice write up, gti!!! i could have used that last year when we finally had some bad weather!! good job!!
Old 12-05-2007, 02:07 PM   #7
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
I notice you have some 50lb dumbells in the back. whats wrong did they get to light for ya? have you moved up to 100lbs?
Old 12-05-2007, 04:06 PM   #8
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
^They're for working out while waiting for the tow truck.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:19 PM   #9
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
^They're for working out while waiting for the tow truck.

come on man......he's in a tacoma.....he wont need a tow truck!!!
Old 12-05-2007, 04:38 PM   #10
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
It's apparent you come from Carpenterville, nice job on the project. I wish you safe travels this winter. Next time cowboy up and get a 4x4, I know bugger off.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:52 PM   #11
Carolina Alliance Costal Div
2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of

2003greenbean's Tacoma Gallery
looks good how much does it help
Old 12-05-2007, 06:15 PM   #12
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
come on man......he's in a tacoma.....he wont need a tow truck!!!
OMG, you are correct. I should be banned...
Old 12-05-2007, 07:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
OMG, you are correct. I should be banned...

nah....not banned!! just the ol' tar and feather trick with pancake syrup, then you gotta run down mainstreet somwhere!!!
Old 12-05-2007, 07:22 PM   #14
Kylie's dad

Oh no, not "main street" in Aynor. I saw Deliverance, dammit.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:25 PM   #15
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Hey GTI, did you think about enclosing it so it doesn't look like you are a trash collector. Sanford and son are great, if you driving a beat up old dodge or ford, but we need to represent our Tacomas right.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:41 AM   #17
Big Cat Chew Toy

GTiVR6r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
I notice you have some 50lb dumbells in the back. whats wrong did they get to light for ya? have you moved up to 100lbs?
Believe it or not, yes!
Old 12-06-2007, 04:44 AM   #18
Big Cat Chew Toy

GTiVR6r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by concrete jedi View Post
It's apparent you come from Carpenterville, nice job on the project. I wish you safe travels this winter. Next time cowboy up and get a 4x4, I know bugger off.
I know, however, with a mortgage, home improvment projects already under way, and other bills pending, this is what I could afford at this time.
I can always upgrade in a few years.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:47 AM   #19
Big Cat Chew Toy

GTiVR6r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003greenbean View Post
looks good how much does it help
Helps a LOT! Back end no longer slips and slides from being completely empty and weightless. I think I'm gunna take out 1 bundle of shingles and
the 50# dumbbells, a bit too much weight, hurting the mileage. I think 200#
is just right, I have close to 400# in there now. And with the Downey SST bed cover, you'd never know.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:51 AM   #20
Big Cat Chew Toy

GTiVR6r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
Hey GTI, did you think about enclosing it so it doesn't look like you are a trash collector. Sanford and son are great, if you driving a beat up old dodge or ford, but we need to represent our Tacomas right.

Downey SST bed cover keeps it all hidden. However, I was thinking about putting a top layer of plywood and makeing some hinged lockable doors for in bed storage when I no longer need the extra weight. Hmmm...