Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Is there anyway to put a locker in a 2wd Tacoma?

Old 12-06-2007, 04:32 AM   #1
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Is there anyway to put a locker in a 2wd Tacoma?

I may have asked this question about converting a regular p/u to a prerunner.

Now all I want to know is a regular 2wd truck, can I install something like a detroit locker or some other bread to have 2WD.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:45 AM   #2
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
Eaton makes a few.

http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/Produc...ials/index.htm
Old 12-06-2007, 06:54 AM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Yes....

You gotta know exactly what you want. There are many different types of 'lockers' (so to speak).

Do you want a full locker?
Do you want a limited slip?
Do you want selectability?
What's your budget and how much you want to spend?

and

What are you looking for in a locker? What do you plan on using it for?

Sorry for all the questions - but when people ask a question like this, it's hard to explain when we don't know exactly what you're looking for and we also don't know if you are familiar with the differences.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:55 AM   #4
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Eaton/Detroit does not currently have a locker or Limited Slip Differential that they recommend for the 05+ Toyota Tacomas. I have called them and got disappointing results.

Currently ARB has the best locker for the Tacomas (4 or 6 cylinder), but I am not sure I want to spend $1200 for the complete setup. Hopefully Detroit/Eaton will come out with a good one soon.

Cheers!
Old 12-06-2007, 07:27 AM   #5
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
I got this from another forum. Gadget is a very very reliable source.

Quote:
..and the answer is,,,,,

YES!!!

The TrueTrac that fit the pre 05 8.4" Taco diffs also fits the 8.4" diff in the XRunner. Works great!!!

So, with that info, any diff that fit the earlier 8.4 diffs will also fit the new ones like the ARB and so on.

Gadget
Old 12-06-2007, 07:38 AM   #6
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer J View Post
I got this from another forum. Gadget is a very very reliable source.

Quote:
..and the answer is,,,,,

YES!!!

The TrueTrac that fit the pre 05 8.4" Taco diffs also fits the 8.4" diff in the XRunner. Works great!!!

So, with that info, any diff that fit the earlier 8.4 diffs will also fit the new ones like the ARB and so on.

Gadget
So, why is Detroit/Eaton saying they have nothing for the newer Tacomas???
Old 12-06-2007, 09:51 AM   #7

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Tacoma View Post
So, why is Detroit/Eaton saying they have nothing for the newer Tacomas???

I think the pre-runner uses a different rear assemble than the X-Runner.