1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2007 Paint on roof bubbling?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by dougmays, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Jul 7, 2009 at 12:45 PM
    dougmays

dougmays [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Gainesville, FL
    Vehicle:
    2007 SR5 Tacoma 4WD/Tow Pkg Black
    Westin Bull Bar, Firestone Destination AT 255/70/16
    a couple weeks back i was washing my truck (long time since i had done it last) and i saw 2 circular rust spots. I thought maybe something might have hit the roof on the highway and scraped paint off, even though i thought it would be odd for that to happen on the very top of the roof.

Then i look closer and there are 2 or 3 more small "bubble" where it looks like the paint might chip off as well. Each spot is almost a perfect circle which makes me think that its not from getting hit by anything like a rock. I think the paint job might have been bad and now its bubbling up.

Has anyone else experienced this? i'm going to call the dealer but wanted to check first. does anyone know what the warranty for paint is? i'm at almost 50K miles.

thanks in advance

2. Jul 7, 2009 at 12:53 PM
    Chomag

Chomag Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio TX.
    Vehicle:
    05 4X4 TRD sport
    Flowmaster Org. 40
    I haven't noticed paint chipping like that on my 05, however my hood and roof does have some oxidation on it. Did you have a paint protect sprayed on it when you bought it? I believe that usually covers the paint for 5 years. I'm not sure what the manufacture warranty is though. Sorry I couldn't be of much help, but maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in.

3. Jul 7, 2009 at 1:15 PM
    thecreeper

thecreeper Well-Known Member

Member:
    i've said this before, i'm buying a taco shortly...i've been to many a dealers and started to inspect the paint. a lot of the 09s come with chips and etching. and the salesman either pretend they don't see it (idiots!!!) to "that's just how it is"... so... i guess when I get mine I better first inspect the thing for at least 1hr top to bottom, then get it home and wash/wax it and figure out if I should spend more money to protect the finish.

When I asked salesmen about if its covered under warranty of course they say 'YES OF COURSE!' but when i made a pretend phone call to 8 different dealers service depts they all say 'NO IT IS NOT COVERED'.

it is covered but it will take years to get them to do anything with it. I've heard they stall you until the warranty is over, etc...

i don't think its just Toyota - Honda, Nissan, Lexus, Infinity, Acura, quality has gone down the tubes.

4. Jul 7, 2009 at 1:18 PM
    dougmays

dougmays [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Gainesville, FL
    Vehicle:
    2007 SR5 Tacoma 4WD/Tow Pkg Black
    Westin Bull Bar, Firestone Destination AT 255/70/16
    Chomag...i have noticed the oxidation on the hood as well. i thought it was possibly from me not waxing as often as i should. ugh...i agree service isn't what it used to be

Products Discussed in

To Top