Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

New headlight For 05-07 Tacoma

Old 12-07-2007, 08:08 PM   #21
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRDTACO View Post
what you mean like mine?!?! lol look at it everybody, look at why you're supposed to turn the oven OFF before you put the light in
u really should bring that to the meet and we'll roast the rest of it and have a moment of silence
Old 12-07-2007, 08:10 PM   #22
Carolina Alliance: Midwest Firearms Division
TuRDTACO is on a distinguished road

TuRDTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TuRDTACO
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
u really should bring that to the meet and we'll roast the rest of it and have a moment of silence
i would but my buddy threw it out when he cleaned out his garage. oh well, i always have more to cook lol
Old 12-07-2007, 10:31 PM   #23
spencer_hong is on a distinguished road
spencer_hong's Tacoma Gallery
Is there a link straight to the product page for the headlights? And have you had any problems with them fogging up becuase of mositure? I did mine myself, you can check the write up, but they do occasionally fog up and I'm interested in these if I have some extra cash.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:40 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer_hong View Post
Is there a link straight to the product page for the headlights? And have you had any problems with them fogging up becuase of mositure? I did mine myself, you can check the write up, but they do occasionally fog up and I'm interested in these if I have some extra cash.
if your headlights fog up after the BHLM, wait until the fog clears out, then run a bead of silicone around the entire lense where it seals onto the housing. that should keep the moisture out bro
Old 12-07-2007, 11:22 PM   #25
PatheticJoe will become famous soon enough

PatheticJoe's Tacoma Gallery
x_3spyderman,

I like the look of these but I'm gonna wait till after Christmas to buy them and I'll probably go through eBay just to get a little extra protection in case something is wrong with them. Really appreciate you posting though since I had no idea they existed.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:25 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatheticJoe View Post
x_3spyderman,

I like the look of these but I'm gonna wait till after Christmas to buy them and I'll probably go through eBay just to get a little extra protection in case something is wrong with them. Really appreciate you posting though since I had no idea they existed.
why don't you just save your $200 and do the BHLM yourself? i've screwed it up so i know EXACTLY how to do it right lol, of course i had to buy a new headlight but i still only spent $100 for a new light and the spraypaint and then i finally got it done
Old 12-08-2007, 10:57 AM   #27

Quote:
why don't you just save your $200 and do the BHLM yourself? i've screwed it up so i know EXACTLY how to do it right lol, of course i had to buy a new headlight but i still only spent $100 for a new light and the spraypaint and then i finally got it done
Just because you've detailed out your screw up does not mean I won't find a new way to screw it up and although I'm not rich or anything I can definately afford $220 for a set of headlights. I will say though that I've been really searching the web about these and other similar headlights and apparently a lot of people have had problems with them. Apparently they are made really cheap in Asia somewhere and then only sold by a few folks out of SoCal to control pricing. A lot of folks recieve the wrong ones and others receive them broken. That said if you can do the BHLM then I would actually reccomend it and I might get a qoute on having a shop do it just to compare.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:50 PM   #28
Displaced Texan
MotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to all

Air Force: 1LT
MotoXFreeStyle61's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MotoXFreeStyle61 Send a message via MSN to MotoXFreeStyle61
Quote:
I agree with you man, It seems like there are so many write ups on how to do it. Most of them follow the same thing. The main thing i've read with doing this mod is just to take your time and do it right the first time, and not crank up the heat on the oven. I might do this over christmas if I find the time. Why not save the $200, know you have the correct headlights not made in a sweatshop somewhere in Asia, and gain a little knowledge by doing it yourself.
Old 12-08-2007, 01:09 PM   #29

Quote:
Just because you've detailed out your screw up does not mean I won't find a new way to screw it up and although I'm not rich or anything I can definately afford $220 for a set of headlights. I will say though that I've been really searching the web about these and other similar headlights and apparently a lot of people have had problems with them. Apparently they are made really cheap in Asia somewhere and then only sold by a few folks out of SoCal to control pricing. A lot of folks recieve the wrong ones and others receive them broken. That said if you can do the BHLM then I would actually reccomend it and I might get a qoute on having a shop do it just to compare.
i have bought headlights off of ebay before for a different car and they SUCKED. the fitment was no-where near right, the lighting itself sucked and i wish i had done the BHLM to the stock ones too. the reason i prefer the BHLM over aftermarket lights is because you KNOW they'll fit perfectly because they're OEM lights, and you don't have to worry about it coming to your doorstep and not being what you wanted. i can guide anybody through the DIY BHLM so that there is no way to screw it up...and not only will you be happy with the finished product, but you'll feel like more of a man for doing it yourself
Old 12-08-2007, 01:12 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoXFreeStyle61 View Post
I agree with you man, It seems like there are so many write ups on how to do it. Most of them follow the same thing. The main thing i've read with doing this mod is just to take your time and do it right the first time, and not crank up the heat on the oven. I might do this over christmas if I find the time. Why not save the $200, know you have the correct headlights not made in a sweatshop somewhere in Asia, and gain a little knowledge by doing it yourself.
EXACTLY, and i'd be more than happy to sit on the phone with any of you and guide you through it one step at a time, that way if you have any questions, you don't have to wait for me to respond to your post. whenever any of you guys decide you wanna try it (allow about 3-4 hours for everything including removal from your taco and re-installation), let me know and i'll just call you so i can describe the best way to do everything and clear up any confusion or questions right away. i don't want anybody to have to buy another headlight like i did, so i'm willing to do whatever i can to help make sure it gets done right the first time
Old 12-08-2007, 01:58 PM   #31

Quote:
EXACTLY, and i'd be more than happy to sit on the phone with any of you and guide you through it one step at a time, that way if you have any questions, you don't have to wait for me to respond to your post. whenever any of you guys decide you wanna try it (allow about 3-4 hours for everything including removal from your taco and re-installation), let me know and i'll just call you so i can describe the best way to do everything and clear up any confusion or questions right away. i don't want anybody to have to buy another headlight like i did, so i'm willing to do whatever i can to help make sure it gets done right the first time
I went back and reread the whole BHLM thread by spencer_hong and also read the version on CustomTacos and it does sound really straight forward, although there is a large temperature range difference. Maybe I'll try it next year since it only costs 10 bucks or so. Hopefully I'll be thanking you and MotoXFreeStyle61 for pushing me out of my lazy comfort zone.........I hope.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:02 PM   #32

Quote:
I went back and reread the whole BHLM thread by spencer_hong and also read the version on CustomTacos and it does sound really straight forward, although there is a large temperature range difference. Maybe I'll try it next year since it only costs 10 bucks or so. Hopefully I'll be thanking you and MotoXFreeStyle61 for pushing me out of my lazy comfort zone.........I hope.
if it's motivation you require, look at the before/after pics of my truck here, then go stand in front of your taco and stare at the headlighs, imagine them being black, and then think about how easy it is to do and how proud of yourself you'll be afterwards haha...as far as the temperature goes, 250 degrees was perfect for me. set a piece of cardboard in the oven first so you don't melt little grooves into the housing from the racks, heat the oven to 250 degrees and TURN IT OFF BEFORE YOU SET THE LIGHT IN, that was why mine melted. leave it in for 6 minutes and you should be good, if it still doesn't wanna come apart, stick it back in for another 3 minutes. use the same method to reseal them after you're done
Old 12-08-2007, 02:04 PM   #33

oh yea here are the pics lol
Attached Thumbnails
New headlight For 05-07 Tacoma-yamataco.jpg   New headlight For 05-07 Tacoma-tacofront.jpg   New headlight For 05-07 Tacoma-bhlm2.jpg  
Old 12-08-2007, 02:14 PM   #34

Quote:
if it's motivation you require, look at the before/after pics of my truck here, then go stand in front of your taco and stare at the headlighs, imagine them being black, and then think about how easy it is to do and how proud of yourself you'll be afterwards haha...as far as the temperature goes, 250 degrees was perfect for me. set a piece of cardboard in the oven first so you don't melt little grooves into the housing from the racks, heat the oven to 250 degrees and TURN IT OFF BEFORE YOU SET THE LIGHT IN, that was why mine melted. leave it in for 6 minutes and you should be good, if it still doesn't wanna come apart, stick it back in for another 3 minutes. use the same method to reseal them after you're done
Yeah, I totally love the look and on my black Taco they will really make the black-out look more complete especially when I get the black mesh grill and black wheels on the truck. I think motivation is definately setting in but I HAVE to wait till next year. I'm driving to Denver for Christmas and I don't want the risk of any problems or issues. That's also why the stock wheels/tires are still on.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:16 PM   #35

Quote:
That's also why the stock wheels/tires are still on.
spraypaint your wheels black like myself and jhodge83 did , also costs about $15 bucks. i have a ton of mods done to my truck and i haven't spent over $500 including a new headlight, my cd player, and extra reverse lights
Old 12-08-2007, 02:19 PM   #36

heres a link to view his profile to see before/after pics of his blacked out DC sport

http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/s...r/1432/cat/500

and here is a pic or 2 of mine
Attached Thumbnails
New headlight For 05-07 Tacoma-blkwheels.jpg   New headlight For 05-07 Tacoma-sideview.jpg   New headlight For 05-07 Tacoma-snow.jpg  
Old 12-08-2007, 02:22 PM   #37

Quote:
spraypaint your wheels black like myself and jhodge83 did , also costs about $15 bucks. i have a ton of mods done to my truck and i haven't spent over $500 including a new headlight, my cd player, and extra reverse lights
Don't take this the wrong way but there is no way in hell I'm spray painting my wheels. It may be right for some but not for me, also the wheels I've got are too small for my taste. I've got my eyes on a nice set of 22" black wheels with a machined lip, they may cost me an arm and leg but its definately what I want.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:23 PM   #38

Quote:
Don't take this the wrong way but there is no way in hell I'm spray painting my wheels. It may be right for some but not for me, also the wheels I've got are too small for my taste. I've got my eyes on a nice set of 22" black wheels with a machined lip, they may cost me an arm and leg but its definately what I want.
the reason behind us spraypainting our wheels is to hold us over until we have the money to buy aftermarket wheels and tires lol, i woulda gotten them powdercoated if i was keeping them
Old 12-08-2007, 05:04 PM   #39
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
I did the BHLM myself as well. Preheat to 300F, turn off, 10 minutes in to soften glue, then take them apart. I let my paint dry over night, and reversed the process to put them back together and put a bead of silicon glue around the edge when they cooled to help seal. Only cost was $5 for Krylon Fusion paint. No fogging or leaking. I removed the amber reflectors too.

Oh, and someone on TN said the non-oem lights have a different light pattern. More of a spot light than the horizontal cut off the oem's have.

Old 12-08-2007, 06:45 PM   #40
AKA: Jake the Wolf
kristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant future

kristopherl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by piercedtiger View Post
I did the BHLM myself as well. Preheat to 300F, turn off, 10 minutes in to soften glue, then take them apart. I let my paint dry over night, and reversed the process to put them back together and put a bead of silicon glue around the edge when they cooled to help seal. Only cost was $5 for Krylon Fusion paint. No fogging or leaking. I removed the amber reflectors too.

Oh, and someone on TN said the non-oem lights have a different light pattern. More of a spot light than the horizontal cut off the oem's have.

I am building up the nerve to do this mod. My question is ... Have you notice much of a brightness difference since you did the mod? My worry is that the marker lights or signals won't be as bright after painting the housing.