Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Can you put a aftermarket rear locker on any 2WD Tacoma?

Old 12-07-2007, 12:33 AM   #1
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Can you put a aftermarket rear locker on any 2WD Tacoma?

I may have asked this question as a part of another post, but I really am not clear on the answer.

I'm still trying to get a Tacoma to go offroad for cheap.

Anyway, I noticed that the Prerunner, non-offroad editions, are a lot less. These are the ones that are just raised up, but have no offroad package and no rear wheel electronic locking diff.

Anyway, can you install an any aftermarket locker to the 2WD Prerunner?
Old 12-07-2007, 04:07 PM   #2
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
The answer is yes, but with the cost and the assache, just go and get a pre-runner with a locker or if you are going off road, cowboy up and get a 4wd.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:51 PM   #3
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Stop pushing me, or I just may do it.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:57 PM   #4
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

C'mon punk I dare ! you don't have enough hair on your ass to pull it off, maybe I'll go ask your sister to see if she'll do it ! punk-ass wanna be, the dealer is just down the road. he he
Old 12-07-2007, 11:15 PM   #5
Carolina Alliance: Midwest Firearms Division
TuRDTACO is on a distinguished road

TuRDTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TuRDTACO
Quote:
Originally Posted by concrete jedi View Post
C'mon punk I dare ! you don't have enough hair on your ass to pull it off, maybe I'll go ask your sister to see if she'll do it ! punk-ass wanna be, the dealer is just down the road. he he
damn, you're worse than the salesman that sold me mine lol....he didn't really have to do any convincing, the taco was the first truck i looked at, i drove it and every other truck was ugly to me so i was happy when i drove off the lot in the very first one i test drove, and i'm still happy right now. wouldn't have gotten anything else, and i doubt i'll ever buy a non-toyota truck
Old 12-09-2007, 07:45 AM   #6
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
I am having issues finding a locker or LSD rear end for my 2.7L PreRunner. The biggest issue I am running into is the rear gear ratio. I have a 4.10, and everything else is lower than that. I am going to wait until I drop my diesel engine in, then I will get a different rear end.

I hope this helps.

Cheers
Old 12-09-2007, 07:56 AM   #7
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
So you don't have a truck yet? If not, just buy the prerunner (or 4wd) with the elocker.... It adds around $800 or so to the package I think, but it's already installed and under warranty. You could always do an ARB locker, but that means paying someone to install it or doing it yourself. It requires the ARB air compressor, tanks, lines to be ran, switches, etc.

Edit:
The prerunner's can engage the locker anytime under 55mph (i think?), and the 4wd's can be modded to do the same with a $5 relay from RadioHack.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:03 AM   #8
Carolina Alliance Costal Div
2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of

2003greenbean's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by piercedtiger View Post
So you don't have a truck yet? If not, just buy the prerunner (or 4wd) with the elocker.... It adds around $800 or so to the package I think, but it's already installed and under warranty. You could always do an ARB locker, but that means paying someone to install it or doing it yourself. It requires the ARB air compressor, tanks, lines to be ran, switches, etc.

Edit:
The prerunner's can engage the locker anytime under 55mph (i think?), and the 4wd's can be modded to do the same with a $5 relay from RadioHack.
it is cheaper to buy the truck with the locker in it than to do it yourself and how much will 800$ make your payment go up over 6 years
Old 12-09-2007, 10:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003greenbean View Post
it is cheaper to buy the truck with the locker in it than to do it yourself and how much will 800$ make your payment go up over 6 years
Well said !
Old 12-09-2007, 10:33 AM   #10
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I think people on TN have had ARB lockers put in for less than $800.... But that might have been just for parts if they did the install themselves.

Quote:
Out of pocket, labor only I have $300 in both lockers....maybe $100 in extra parts, oil, misc items...I think that the roll of fuel line to protect the blue tubing was a great investment, and I will not worry about wearing holes in the tubing. I am afraid to ask about the price of the steel braid in comparison?
David

Better than the $1500 that the 4Wheel Parts wanted for the Labor...
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t171757.html
Old 12-09-2007, 11:39 AM   #11
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Better than the $1500 that the 4Wheel Parts wanted for the Labor...
That's insane. Get it from the factory/dealer.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:51 AM   #12
Devout Atheist

Yeah, I didn't see how much he paid total... Ended up paying $300 for labor I think per axle, but not sure on the parts. If the parts where under $500 or you can install yourself it would be cheaper....

Then again, I suppose that's why I got it from the dealer too.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:20 PM   #13
Carolina Alliance: Midwest Firearms Division
TuRDTACO is on a distinguished road

TuRDTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TuRDTACO
Quote:
Originally Posted by concrete jedi View Post
Well said !
every $1000 extra on your loan adds roughly $20 a month, so u could have the E-locker for less than skipping one pizza a month...