Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Motherf*&#@! Can it be fixed?

Old 07-09-2009, 09:10 PM   #1
Notty has much to be proud ofNotty has much to be proud ofNotty has much to be proud ofNotty has much to be proud ofNotty has much to be proud ofNotty has much to be proud ofNotty has much to be proud ofNotty has much to be proud of

Army: 100% Disabled
Notty's Tacoma Gallery
Motherf*&#@! Can it be fixed? **Updated page 2**

Well, the day was going great as I was swapping my 3 inch top plate spacers and 1.5" blocks for 5100s and an AAL. Got the back and front passenger side done no sweat. Had a bit of an issue on the drivers side though. I had trouble getting a steering knuckle bolt back in, and in the process cross threaded it. Due to a time crunch and lack of new bolts available, I decided f*ck it, I would put the damn thing in as best as I could and get it to a shop to fix it. It is about 8/10ths of the way in and will not go any further. I know already I screwed up, but I am hoping a shop can tap the hole and put in a new bolt. I already have the new bolt on order and I will have it tomorrow, I even ordered a spare one. My question is, can this be tapped and fixed, or do I need a new $400 steering knuckle???? Below is a few pics of my dilemma!!!!

Old 07-09-2009, 09:12 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
You should have no issue getting it drilled and Heli coiled.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:14 PM   #3
Notty has much to be proud ofNotty has much to be proud ofNotty has much to be proud ofNotty has much to be proud ofNotty has much to be proud ofNotty has much to be proud ofNotty has much to be proud ofNotty has much to be proud of

Notty's Tacoma Gallery
A buddy told me they would have to remove the entire piece to tap it or insert a heli coil. Is that true? This could get expensive!!!
Old 07-09-2009, 09:15 PM   #4
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notty View Post
A buddy told me they would have to remove the entire piece to tap it or insert a heli coil. Is that true? This could get expensive!!!
They shouldnt have to. All they have to do is drill the threads out, and insert the coil. The hole in the Lower control arm is smooth. What part of the valey are you in?
Old 07-09-2009, 09:19 PM   #5
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Me and Paul made an oopsy too.

We accidentally stripped the starter thread on the UCA. It would go about half a turn and then just fall off.

Paul had to go to Lowes and he got a filing kit. After we filed it back it went on no problem
Old 07-09-2009, 09:20 PM   #6

Notty's Tacoma Gallery
Unfortunately I'm not in the Valley! haha I am down in the Sierra Vista/Bisbee area, about 3 hours south of Phoenix, right on the border! I checked into heli coils and nobody has them in stock, but Napa can order one tomorrow and have it by Saturday. I'm hoping a shop can take care of it Saturday for me without it being too expensive.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:20 PM   #7
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
nope your fucked. You need a new truck.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Unfortunately I'm not in the Valley! haha I am down in the Sierra Vista/Bisbee area, about 3 hours south of Phoenix, right on the border! I checked into heli coils and nobody has them in stock, but Napa can order one tomorrow and have it by Saturday. I'm hoping a shop can take care of it Saturday for me without it being too expensive.
It shouldnt be that big of a deal. DAM.....if you were here, I could do it for ya.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:22 PM   #9
6 Double 5 3 2 1
thebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ken....
thebigk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
^^
Old 07-09-2009, 09:25 PM   #10

Notty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Fuck....I guess I am going truck shopping tomorrow!!! The Wife will love that!!! hahahaha
Old 07-09-2009, 09:26 PM   #11
jaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shed
jaxchrisfla's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jaxchrisfla Send a message via Yahoo to jaxchrisfla
should be a pretty easy fix.

and even if the arms is unrepairible, im sure there are quite a few members here with their stock spindles who are running 6" kits.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:28 PM   #12
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
True. Hell, I trade my truck in for a new every time it gets dirty. Screw that, washing is for suckers.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:29 PM   #13
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Quote:
Fuck....I guess I am going truck shopping tomorrow!!! The Wife will love that!!! hahahaha

be like.."well honey, you want me to be safe, right?"

Works everytime, unless you have a large life insurance policy, and a frequent milkman.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:30 PM   #14

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
True. Hell, I trade my truck in for a new every time it gets dirty. Screw that, washing is for suckers.
so theres a half dozen dirty tacomas sitting on the lot right now as trade ins? lol
Old 07-09-2009, 09:34 PM   #15

Notty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
be like.."well honey, you want me to be safe, right?"

Works everytime, unless you have a large life insurance policy, and a frequent milkman.
Hahaha, she is already getting on me about this! haha She's like "Why couldn't you have just left it stock? That's what you get for wanting to lift it!" lol
Old 07-09-2009, 09:45 PM   #16
Threadkiller
Monarch will become famous soon enoughMonarch will become famous soon enough

Monarch's Tacoma Gallery
Get a bigger hammer

Quote:
Not to belittle your predicament, but that comment is the best laugh that I've had all week.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:54 PM   #17
dirthawker1313 is a splendid one to beholddirthawker1313 is a splendid one to beholddirthawker1313 is a splendid one to beholddirthawker1313 is a splendid one to beholddirthawker1313 is a splendid one to beholddirthawker1313 is a splendid one to beholddirthawker1313 is a splendid one to behold

dirthawker1313's Tacoma Gallery
couldnt you just get a tap and chase the threads?
Old 07-09-2009, 09:56 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirthawker1313 View Post
couldnt you just get a tap and chase the threads?
Being as the bolt is driven that far in, there may not be enough threads left to get a good purchase on the bolt, and achieve the required torque.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:04 PM   #19
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
You should have no issue getting it drilled and Heli coiled.

Just what I would have said. The Heli coils are pretty cheap, easy to install, and will hold up to the job if installed correctly.

Or you could just ditch those spindles and get some 4 inch camburgs..
Old 07-09-2009, 10:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC4333 View Post
Just what I would have said. The Heli coils are pretty cheap, easy to install, and will hold up to the job if installed correctly.

Or you could just ditch those spindles and get some 4 inch camburgs..
Great minds.