Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Bilsteins

Old 07-09-2009, 09:54 PM   #1
Tio Pepe has a spectacular aura aboutTio Pepe has a spectacular aura about
Tio Pepe's Tacoma Gallery
Bilsteins

Question:

Are the Bilstein shocks that come on the TRD package, and are put on with a rear TSB the same as Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks?
Old 07-09-2009, 10:33 PM   #3
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
The shocks that come with the trd package and the tsb will be the yellow bilstien shocks the 5100's are chrome.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:31 PM   #4
Sodbuster is on a distinguished road
Sodbuster's Tacoma Gallery
Shocks

I just got the TSB done. It lifted my truck a bit and it looks great. The ride is better as well. The shocks are blue and appear to be identical to the ones on my nephew's TRD.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:35 AM   #5
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodbuster View Post
I just got the TSB done. It lifted my truck a bit and it looks great. The ride is better as well. The shocks are blue and appear to be identical to the ones on my nephew's TRD.
They are. And while the TRD shocks aren't the worst things in the world....The 5100's are a HUGE improvement.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:13 AM   #6
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: '83-'87 Hull Tech.
Name: Richard
Ridingontrd's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Ridingontrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
They are. And while the TRD shocks aren't the worst things in the world....The 5100's are a HUGE improvement.
+1,
Old 07-10-2009, 09:06 AM   #7
Thanks. I didnt think they were the same from reading on here, but I hadnt seen it spelled out anywhere.

I just went with SR5 instead of a TRD. Well I wanted the long bed but I dont think TRD OR comes with 6' bed. And I dont really care for the scoop on the TRD Sport. But the main reason was I wanted the dough to get that baby Superchared. I got the TRD supercharger, air intake, and exhaust. I am really pleased with all of it. Now I need to get it lifted up off the ground.

I am gonna try to do this TSB. But after that I guess I will do the 5100's. should I just do coilovers to the Bilsteins that i get with TSB (i guess that would work)? I really need some lift because I am off the pavement as much as I am on it, (though rarely to do "wheelin" mostly just "working"). I knew i would do a lift all along, now I just need to figure out exactly how.

Anyway, I have been lurking around here and reading all this great info on everything under the sun, and I think I understand the lift basics from the great lift threads on here. But I still have a hard time deciding which way to go to get the most bang for the buck on my lift. Thanks in advance for sharing the knowledge.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:09 AM   #8
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
X2.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:23 AM   #11
Well I dont want to spend any more than I have too, but I dont mind spending it if its worth it. I definetly dont need to get too far north of $1000 for lift. Like I said I dont really get to rock crawl, but I do spend a lot of time driving around in pastures and bottom land. I just want a good solid lift that performs well off road, but doesnt require a huge amount of labor and money. Will 5100's do the trick ? I feel like Im at one of those fancy diners in NYC with 5000 things on the menu when Im looking at lifts.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:28 AM   #12
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah...5100's will do it. You can bump it up a few inches and get a nicer ride than the stock stuff...

Good luck-Lots of threads about installs and what the site members think about them- You will most likely not be disappointed with the 5100's...and the Downsouth Motorsports price is usually a good one for TW members.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:25 AM   #13
Simon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Simon2150's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel View Post
Put it in easy terms with your menu analogy:

Body Lift = dead fried alley rat served in a dirty ashtray
Spacer Lift = NY Strip with some gristle
5100s = Smoked brisket
Coil Overs = Filet Mignon

For most of us here, the brisket is enough...
dood, you're makin' me hungry and i just ate... LOL
Old 07-13-2009, 09:18 AM   #14
Nice analogy. Do most of you peg them out at 2.5" or whatever is max, or do yall mostly go with 1.75" in the middle. I was reading on some other threads that if you max it out, you may need to do UCAs and/or an AAL? what do those cost? Also is it advisable to get 5100s all around or just in front? Thanks
Old 07-13-2009, 09:22 AM   #15
abides.

Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
5100s will improve your ride...so all the way around is good.

If you do raise the front all the way up- You may want the AAL to level out the rear. You may also want the UCAs to be able to properly adjust the alignment.

UCAs are as cheap as 400 and as expensive as 1200...AALs are like 60 to 150 or so...
Old 07-13-2009, 11:02 AM   #16
allright Im sold on 5100's, Im getting em all around. Just gotta wait till the wifes not looking...

I think I will start at at the 1.75" setting and ride it for a while, when I go to get new wheels and tires, I may bump them up and do the UCAs. Thanks for all the input
Old 07-13-2009, 11:13 AM   #17
The Stroker Ace
hendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
hendooman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio Pepe View Post
allright Im sold on 5100's, Im getting em all around. Just gotta wait till the wifes not looking...

I think I will start at at the 1.75" setting and ride it for a while, when I go to get new wheels and tires, I may bump them up and do the UCAs. Thanks for all the input
At 1.75 you will still need an alignment. I would not go to the 2.5 unless you are planning on UCA's. Lots of talk of vibes and not getting a good alignment with stock UCA's and 2.5 on the billies.