1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Grill Surround Suggestions (Have Chrome, want BSP)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by James08, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Jul 10, 2009 at 11:00 AM
    James08

James08 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD PRO
    I have an 08 AC TRD Off Road RT in Black Sand Pearl, and I want to get rid of pretty much all the chrome on the truck. I like what Toyota did with the RT edition, but I don't understand why it has any chrome on it at all.

So, I called a dealership to see how much the black sand pearl grill surround would be, and it came out to $272! That seems pretty steep to me, and I'm sure I'm not going to get near that selling my chrome surround. I've searched Craigslist, ebay and all over the interwebs for a painted surround but I haven't found anything.

Next week I'm doing the HID convertion, and while I'm doing that I'm going to do the BHLM mod too. I'm considering getting a pair of the T-Rex eyelids for the truck, and since they have to be painted I thought maybe I could have a body shop paint my grill and eyelids at the same time. What can I use to pull the chrome off the plastic of the grill in order to prep it?

Any other ideas that would be better/cheaper? Anyone have a BSP surround that wants to trade for chrome?

Any advice would be appreciated.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Jul 10, 2009 at 11:01 AM
    James08

James08 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD PRO
    Here's my truck.... The surround is in perfect shape if anyone is interested in trading. I only have 18,500 miles on the clock.

Tacoma 1.jpg
    Tacoma 2.jpg
    Tacoma 3.jpg

3. Jul 10, 2009 at 11:33 AM
    stroM-

stroM- @alteregoadventure

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Santa Rosa, California
    Vehicle:
    2006 4X4 TRD OR
    I just went to a local auto body shop and asked if they could color match the "209 Black Sand Peal" color in a spray can. Went home, sanded the grill, taped it up, painted to match, then clear coated. All for $30 and a few hours of my time. Im 100% happy with the results.

Products Discussed in

To Top