Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Grill Surround Suggestions (Have Chrome, want BSP)

Old 07-10-2009, 11:00 AM   #1
James08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

James08's Tacoma Gallery
Grill Surround Suggestions (Have Chrome, want BSP)

I have an 08 AC TRD Off Road RT in Black Sand Pearl, and I want to get rid of pretty much all the chrome on the truck. I like what Toyota did with the RT edition, but I don't understand why it has any chrome on it at all.

So, I called a dealership to see how much the black sand pearl grill surround would be, and it came out to $272! That seems pretty steep to me, and I'm sure I'm not going to get near that selling my chrome surround. I've searched Craigslist, ebay and all over the interwebs for a painted surround but I haven't found anything.

Next week I'm doing the HID convertion, and while I'm doing that I'm going to do the BHLM mod too. I'm considering getting a pair of the T-Rex eyelids for the truck, and since they have to be painted I thought maybe I could have a body shop paint my grill and eyelids at the same time. What can I use to pull the chrome off the plastic of the grill in order to prep it?

Any other ideas that would be better/cheaper? Anyone have a BSP surround that wants to trade for chrome?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:01 AM   #2
James08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

James08's Tacoma Gallery
Here's my truck.... The surround is in perfect shape if anyone is interested in trading. I only have 18,500 miles on the clock.
Attached Thumbnails
Grill Surround Suggestions (Have Chrome, want BSP)-tacoma-1.jpg   Grill Surround Suggestions (Have Chrome, want BSP)-tacoma-2.jpg   Grill Surround Suggestions (Have Chrome, want BSP)-tacoma-3.jpg  
Old 07-10-2009, 11:33 AM   #3
stroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
stroM-'s Tacoma Gallery
I just went to a local auto body shop and asked if they could color match the "209 Black Sand Peal" color in a spray can. Went home, sanded the grill, taped it up, painted to match, then clear coated. All for $30 and a few hours of my time. Im 100% happy with the results.