Notices

Looks like the V6 08 isn't too hot.

Old 12-16-2007, 02:39 PM   #41
ellsworth is on a distinguished road
ellsworth's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up Scoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by allrsdup View Post
the hood scoop has nothing to do with it being an 08. it comes on all trd sport packages.
OFF RD PACKAGE HAS NO SCOOP AND THE ELECTRIC LOCK IN REAR WHOO WHOO
Old 12-16-2007, 03:26 PM   #42
BlueTaco is on a distinguished road
Army: Military Police - Dog handler
BlueTaco's Tacoma Gallery
the decorative hood scoop rocks! it a good rock catcher to avoid windshield chips. Looks like it saved me at least 1, and in Alaska thats a good thing. plus i can pull up to chicks and be like "check out the hood scoop" =P
Old 12-16-2007, 08:32 PM   #43
LRH is on a distinguished road
LRH's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTaco View Post
the decorative hood scoop rocks! it a good rock catcher to avoid windshield chips. Looks like it saved me at least 1, and in Alaska thats a good thing. plus i can pull up to chicks and be like "check out the hood scoop" =P
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I could write a novel on this post, but i will just post the cliff notes, they go as follows: Blue Taco (BT): hay baby, watcha doing the rest of your life?

Unknown Female adolescent (UFA): uh, get lost...

BT: evidently you failed to notice my truck has a simulated hood scoop.

UFA: I did not notice, please don't exclude me, I am now your personal sex slave, quit work, I will support you, and do as I am told without fail.

BT: well, ok, I'll give you a 2nd chance, and you better not mess up, you better do right, do you understand me?

UFA: of course sir, anything, anything, and you can share my friends also.

BT: that goes without saying; stop stating the obvious.

ME: I will be checking my mailbox for my Pulitzer prize nomination
Old 12-16-2007, 09:53 PM   #44
Beverly0817 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeverly0817 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeverly0817 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeverly0817 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeverly0817 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeverly0817 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeverly0817 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeverly0817 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeverly0817 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeverly0817 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeverly0817 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Beverly0817's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, scoops are sexy!
Old 12-17-2007, 09:49 AM   #45
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverly0817 View Post
Yeah, scoops are sexy!
yes they are
Old 12-17-2007, 09:50 AM   #46
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by klown View Post
The scoop is not on the base truck. It's only on the TRD packages, you'll have the same issue on the '07. TRD packages on the '07 include the scoop to.
TRD Sport, no scoop on the TRD Off-Road.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:21 AM   #47
Old Goat
Don G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 1st MAW  MAG12  VMA-251,  (1953)
Don G's Tacoma Gallery
I kinda like the scoop even though it is nonfunctional I like lookin out over it - and it makes the front look beefier! !!

Don G
Old 12-17-2007, 10:35 AM   #48
Jimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud of

Jimbo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by piercedtiger View Post
No problem! I just hate hearing people bitch about the 6spd (owners, magazines, etc) when the truck isn't even close to being broke in... Like ANY car shifts the way it should brand new with fresh fluids and no wear on the gears. Of course things will improve as the gears work, round off a little, and mesh easier. But no one ever seems to take that into account before bashing it as "stiff" or "rough" or whatever.

Of course it'll grind or not shift properly if you don't know the truck or how to shift it. It took me a couple weeks to get used to it. How can any reviewer possibly make an accurate statement about it after 2-3 days? Also, people not willing to just let the stick slip into gear with gentle motions (ie, no speed shifting like you're on the drag strip) will always have problems with it. Simplest way I can explain it is like the gears have gates or slots for the stick to go between. Miss a gate, hit the divider in the middle, and it doesn't go into gear. It hits the divider and doesn't move. So you shove it harder, it slips around the divider, and the gears grind because you forced it. Slow and gentle, and it's no problem.

I started using just 2 fingers to pull it back, and my thumb or palm to push it forward. No full hand wrapped around the knob like with my car that NEEDS to be pushed hard into gear (both transmissions, old and new, even with new clutch). Start in 1st, pull back, goes to 2nd automatically. Shift from 2nd, automatically goes to 3rd without trying to hit 1st or 5th (unlike my car). It literally seems to bump itself over to the right gear when I'm at the right speed and just pull back or push forward. Sometimes I forget I'm in 6th because I don't pay attention to gears anymore!

I had a good laugh (when, partial laugh and cringe on the inside) when a TOYTOTA guy put it 5th instead of 3rd pulling out of the dealership to drive me to work when it was in for work. Even those guys don't know how to drive it. He didn't even rev match either so the truck lurched and gave me shift shock the whole 5 miles to work.... Needless to say he let me drive it back when he picked me up after work, and none of that happened when I drove. Had to teach my wife how to do that too since it's different from every car she's driven. So I can see why people bitch about it.... But I look at it as "it's YOUR truck, you need to KNOW your truck."

Some people bond with wax and polish... I do it by making the truck an extension of myself when driving and maneuvering. (knowing where it can fit, where it can go, what it can make it through......) Hell, I can pull it in my barn and park 2" off my tools in the back without seeing them or the bumper. You just have to "know". (instinct, gut, the force, whatever you call it)
Thought I'd add my 2-cents.
I have about 6K on my 6-manual access cab 4x4 and have found that it has been a learning curve for me to shift this tranny fluidly. I thought after driving manual for years this one wouldn't be any different. I was wrong, it has taken me a bit to really adapt to this tranny. The problem I had was really smoothe shifts, especially from 1 to 2. The ration from 1 to 2 is very quick and made me jerk a bit getting into 2. Seating position and distance has helped me alot. I do like the tranny now more than at first. It has a great ratio for all situations. The granny gear 1st I guess has caused me the most problem in traffic and trying to get fast excelleration and smoothe shifts, but it does get better with time. I expect this tranny will break in even better as I get more miles on it. I wouldn't trade it in for a automatic though, it's just too cool and useful.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:53 PM   #49
Pastry Chef
tacotoe is on a distinguished road
tacotoe's Tacoma Gallery
Pulitzer Prize Nomination

Thanks LRH for the great laugh,I`ve just nominated you for that prize.We do seem to get a little off-topic here ocasionally(maybe the hood scoop thing was or was not)but anway who cares,I sure get much enjoyment here at TW.I hope bitchn hood scoop guy can take a little ribbing and realise its all in good fun.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:57 PM   #50
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
i did like LQQK and opened the back of my scoop up. lets some air flow in over and behind the engine. i dont think it would hurt. LQQK has been running his like that for a while w/ no probs that i've heard of yet
Old 12-17-2007, 10:31 PM   #51
BlueTaco is on a distinguished road
Army: Military Police - Dog handler
BlueTaco's Tacoma Gallery
LRH that actually happened just yesterday, crazy =P
Old 12-18-2007, 05:44 PM   #52
Pastry Chef
tacotoe is on a distinguished road
tacotoe's Tacoma Gallery
Really???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTaco View Post
LRH that actually happened just yesterday, crazy =P
No kidding? Damn I might have to go get me a, um..maybe a artificial snorkel er sumthin..
Old 12-18-2007, 11:03 PM   #53
Banned
danusa will become famous soon enoughdanusa will become famous soon enough
Army: Para Ranger, Inf. SF CIB
danusa's Tacoma Gallery
When the going gets tough you need 4L.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:51 PM   #54
Toyota_hic is on a distinguished road
Name: Grant
Toyota_hic's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Toyota_hic
the TRD offroad is still an SR5, it just has diff. rims,no scoop and a diff/lock.....there are a couple other little diferences but in my mind the offroad is the better buy
Old 12-26-2007, 01:33 AM   #55
Banned
danusa's Tacoma Gallery
I bought a TRD Off Road.
I don`t even know if it has a TRG CAI. Or do I wish to spend money.
It does have the TRD Cat Back exaust. I saw that.
I`ll know more when I get the shop manual.
My dealer has been less than forthcoming on just what I bought.
Toyota knows with a VIN#.
I mat have to call them.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:04 AM   #56
Banned
danusa's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubaman44 View Post
Has some problems, springs, stupid hood scoop (matter of opinion) and most likely somethings I do not know about. I am considering purchasing the 08. Didn't do it yet, just comparing the others....chevy, ford, dodge ect. I do know the 08 tacoma is pricey.

Wondering just what the 08 offers over the 07? Seems like the engine V6 is the same, interior the same..........and so on.

Need some guidance pals.........I can get one 08 for 27,500. decked out access cab. Would I be wasting my money?

I was just looking at the parts catalog. They fit `05 to ......
I have an `06 that I would not trade for an `08.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:13 AM   #57
Banned
danusa's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don G View Post
I kinda like the scoop even though it is nonfunctional I like lookin out over it - and it makes the front look beefier! !!

Don G

`06 TRD Off Road.
Scoops just catch stuff that you do not want off road.
Catching girls is another subject.