Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

thinking about a lift HELP

Old 07-11-2009, 05:20 PM   #1
pgfaulkner is on a distinguished road
pgfaulkner's Tacoma Gallery
thinking about a lift HELP

Alright guys ive got an 05 trd sport access cab and ive just recently started thinking about putting a lift on it. Prob not too much, everyone seems to get a 3inch. Im wondering what kind of kit i need, since i know nothing about this at all. Ive searched the site and read a lot of articles. Im still a bit confused though. So could anyone point me in the right direction as to a decent lift kit, or what i would need. I dont know if this matters but, im not getting it for offroading, i just like the look of a lifted tacoma. Lastly what do these kits run in cost$$$

Thanks,
Old 07-11-2009, 05:23 PM   #2
Banned
johnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
johnecon2001's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to johnecon2001
Your absolute CHEAPEST bet is to get a set of Bilstien 5100 shocks. The fronts are adjustable to 2.5" of lift (the most you can go without alignment issues).
You can buy the shocks through our vendor, Down South Motorsports.
Old 07-11-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
ok

what would be the advantage of this over a traditional lift kit, besides price.
Old 07-11-2009, 05:35 PM   #4
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
Colton's Tacoma Gallery
You could get a spacer lift for pretty cheap, but many people go against them because of their crappy quality ride.
Old 07-11-2009, 05:36 PM   #5
yeah thats what ive heard. When u say spacer lift, are you referring to body lift? or something entirely different. Im leaning towards a suspension lift, but dont know how expensive they are or how they work?
Old 07-11-2009, 05:37 PM   #6
2k6750 is on a distinguished road

2k6750's Tacoma Gallery
There is no "traditional lift" to say. It all depends on what you wanna do and how you want your truck to ride. For me the 5100's by themselves set at 2.5" were a little too stiff. I upgraded to the coilover kit from toytec and it's like day and night difference. Are you gonna offroad all the time?
Old 07-11-2009, 05:39 PM   #7
I wont be offroading at all but dont want a crappy riding truck either.
Old 07-11-2009, 05:43 PM   #9
none yet, im just trying to gather information. I know nothing at all about this type of stuff ( ride, cost, brands)
Old 07-11-2009, 05:54 PM   #10
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Well body lifts and suspension lifts are totally different. Body lifts do nothing to gain clearance for offroading. All they do is lift the BODY off the suspension, which looks pretty ugly; and I'm sure most if not all people on TW can agree. Body lifts also are pretty bad for ride quality. Suspension lifts are exactly what it's name is: it lifts the suspension and therefore gains clearance. They look a WHOLE LOT BETTER than body lifts. Do a google image search on body lifts and you will see all those Ford's and Chevy's with a ton of crap underneath the truck, and basically no advantage over a stock 4x4 in terms of clearance. Most suspension lifts will ride better also. Avoid spacer lifts because of poor ride quality. Bilsteins would be your best bet for an affordable lift with good quality.
Old 07-11-2009, 05:57 PM   #11
so??

so if i went with the bilsteins would that be considered a suspension lift? Also, is that all i would need, or would i still need a lift kit? As you can telll im totally confused lol

sorry,
Old 07-11-2009, 06:13 PM   #12
2k6750 is on a distinguished road

2k6750's Tacoma Gallery
You'll want to lift the rear most likely too. A block or Add a Leaf will do. I highly recommend getting shocks for the rear as well if you lift it.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:13 PM   #13
Reagan/Bush '84

Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgfaulkner View Post
so if i went with the bilsteins would that be considered a suspension lift? Also, is that all i would need, or would i still need a lift kit? As you can telll im totally confused lol

sorry,
Blistein 5100's are shocks. The front Blistein shocks are adjustable from stock, .85'', 1.75'', and the highest of 2.5''. Technically it would be the equivalent of 2.5''-3'' lift kit when you get everything installed at the 2.5'' setting, so you wouldn't need a lift "kit" after the blisteins, but that's if you choose to set the shocks at 2.5''. I don't know if it would be considered a suspension lift, but I know for sure that it is NOT a body lift. From what I've heard, they ride alot better than stock shocks.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:53 PM   #14
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Search the toytec sight. Thats where many of us got our 3" lifts.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:54 PM   #15
Reagan/Bush '84

Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
Search the toytec sight. Thats where many of us got our 3" lifts.
Yep!

What lift are you running, WW?
Old 07-11-2009, 06:56 PM   #16
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton View Post
Yep!

What lift are you running, WW?
5100's all around with 885's up front and 2" rear AAL's. Oh and TC UCA's for the alignment issues.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:06 PM   #17
Reagan/Bush '84

Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
5100's all around with 885's up front and 2" rear AAL's. Oh and TC UCA's for the alignment issues.
Niiccee!

I didn't think you could use the 885's with the Billy's, unless you're running the Billy's at stock height. Right?

That's a nice combo there!
Old 07-11-2009, 07:07 PM   #18
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton View Post
Niiccee!

I didn't think you could use the 885's with the Billy's, unless you're running the Billy's at stock height. Right?

That's a nice combo there!
Yeah you have to have them set at 0" height. The coils will do the lifting.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:08 PM   #19
Reagan/Bush '84

Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah you have to have them set at 0" height. The coils will do the lifting.
Yeah, I thought so. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:32 PM   #20
Kmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
Kmoney's Tacoma Gallery
Faulkner I'm about to purchase my 3" too... I'm going 5100's all around and a 2" AAL for the rear with the front shocks set at 2.5". I think a lot of other guys on here are running the same thing. Best of luck!