Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

remote start

Old 12-08-2007, 09:56 PM   #1
dsds is on a distinguished road
dsds's Tacoma Gallery
remote start

Hi there. Has anyone put in a Valet 561T remote starter into their Tacoma?
If so, I've got one question for you regarding the valet's activation wire.

thanks!

2008 Tacoma DC TRD Sport - Black Sand Pearl
DRL mod
Old 12-09-2007, 01:52 AM   #2
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
I have no experience with this brand, but have seen it as part of a Clifford alarm system (if I remember right).

Seems like a good idean on several levels......

1. Prewarm the vehicle before you get in, so you don't have to sit inside and do nothing.

2. For safety. You get in and it's ready to go.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:06 AM   #3
My goodness, my Guinness!
NVR_QUIT has a spectacular aura aboutNVR_QUIT has a spectacular aura about

Air Force: something between the lines of devine and killing machine
Name: Lloyd Christmas
NVR_QUIT's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation

I also am not familiar with this version, but none the less, remote starts are a must!!

*Especially if you live somewhere it gets below 35 degrees at night; or during the day for that matter.

Pre-warming a vehicle is a major element to vehicle longevity. I usually wait about 2 minutes or to the end of a song I'm currently listening to, but during warmer days, a minute will do.

Just keep in mind though... If you have a manual transmission, some companies will not install a remote start in your vehicle. The reason being, is some people leave their vehicle in gear when parked. Obviously when you start the vehicle, gear engaged, you might literally have a taco under the X-mass tree. I had a remote start on my 350 Z and had to always leave it in (N) and the parking break on.

Now that I have an automatic Taco, a remote start is in the near future~!!
Old 12-09-2007, 08:03 AM   #4
106Tacoma has a spectacular aura about106Tacoma has a spectacular aura about106Tacoma has a spectacular aura about

106Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I have a compustar, just got it yesterday.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:03 AM   #5
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
There are remote starts for manuals, but they're a pain in the ass... To avoid the "taco under the tree" situation they have a long activation process. I think they also check for things like the ebrake being set. (checks for neutral by you getting out with it running)
-push remote start while engine is running
-turn key off
-exit truck
-lock doors
-turn off via remote start

If ANY of the doors are opened, the system is reset and remote start won't work. I thought I about doing it, then decided I'd get tired of doing that within a week. Or my wife would run out to the truck for something and it wouldn't work. Or not set it up when she got home. lol
Old 12-09-2007, 10:00 AM   #6
dsds's Tacoma Gallery
brr..

I'm up in Calgary Canada and "the boss" has her car in the warm garage. I'm stuck on the street without a plug-in unless I run a long cord and elevate it above the sidewalk to keep the city happy about no obstructions.

Anyways, the Remote Starter works fine except I chose a model that uses the factory remote fob to activate (press lock 3 times). I'm stuck with it now that I bought it. I'd recommend to others to get one with a remote for the long range and once the engine is running on the tacoma, the key fob doesn't work which means opening the door with the key (gasp!).

The install problem I have is to activate the remote starter I need a negative or positive pulse (I picked 3 pulses) when I push the lock button. The multimeter shows only a brief drop of a few volts, not good enough for the Remote Starter. I've tried the door lock motor wire that has a positive pulse but same problem. All the more reasons to just get a remote starter with it's own remote.

BTW, had to use a immobilizer bypass. I chose a keyless version. Easy but tight quarters getting to the wires to tap into.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:15 AM   #7
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
What about a second remote controlled switch? I had one from Autozone for around $20. It came with one key fob, and the receiver box to turn something on/off. Maybe do that and hit the on/off buttons 3 times?

I can't help but wonder what happens if you park with your hazard lights on or use your turn signals with that type of remote start tied into them. Turn signals and door locks are the only thing I can think of that activate with the key fob.

Maybe wire in a relay? Door locks trigger the relay, relay switches between off and 12v. That could give a nice pulse.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:19 AM   #8
dsds's Tacoma Gallery
searching for a pulse

thanks!
I'm going to try with a relay this afternoon on the negative door lock wire and if that fails the positive door lock motor wire.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:54 PM   #9
eyball is on a distinguished road

eyball's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah my wifes 02 4-runner is like that. You have to either unlock the doors with the Toyota remote before using the remote start or you have to use the key to unlock the doors. Hers came with one remote that works clear across my office installed for $170. The 4Runner does not have the transponder key though. I want to get one in my 05 double cab since I drop the kids off in the morning. I have to warm up the rig so that means going outside now since I dont have one. Hopefulywarm weather is around the corner. Defenitly getting one for next winter. I just hope with the transponder key it does not cost a ton!