Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

K&N 63-9025 vs. 77-9025 Air Intake

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-13-2009, 12:50 PM   #1
mmmm tacos!
nad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
nad's Tacoma Gallery
K&N 63-9025 vs. 77-9025 Air Intake

So I am looking into getting an intake for my truck and I was wondering what is the difference between the 63 and the 77, they both look very similar except one has an aluminum tube.

77-9025

63-9025

If anyone has any experience with the difference I would appreciate anything, as well is this a good route to take or should I be looking into a different brand that supplies the same performance and sound for a cheaper price?
Old 07-13-2009, 12:52 PM   #2
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
One is chrome, the other is not. That it.

You decide which look you like more.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:54 PM   #3
mmmm tacos!
nad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nad's Tacoma Gallery
well for 100$ difference I think I am going to go with the plastic one, anyone have any other suggestions? or possibly already own one and care to share what you think of it?
Old 07-13-2009, 12:56 PM   #4
Wiskey Tango Foxtrot....
bwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Corporal MACS-2
Name: Ben
bwood_usmc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nad View Post
well for 100$ difference I think I am going to go with the plastic one, anyone have any other suggestions? or possibly already own one and care to share what you think of it?

I have one of the 77's.... i have nothing to complain about..... works just fine for me....
Old 07-13-2009, 01:16 PM   #5
//TRD
XR-Ace will become famous soon enough

XR-Ace's Tacoma Gallery
they are actually not the same intakes... i have the air charger (63 series) gives the truck a nice sound and it definitely gives u a good gain. i felt the difference in sound and power right away.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:20 PM   #6
TacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to behold

Name: Justin
TacoTycoon's Tacoma Gallery
on a side note, the metal one will produce a louder sound than the plastic.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:58 PM   #7
mmmm tacos!

nad's Tacoma Gallery
o realllyyy? well then, I see that fujitsu has something that looks very similar that is metal as well, but its a short ram or what ever its called, would it be hard to make the enclosure that goes around the intake that makes it into a cold air intake? or is the k&n not actually a cold air intake?
Old 07-13-2009, 02:13 PM   #8
mmmm tacos!

nad's Tacoma Gallery
good point
Old 07-14-2009, 07:51 AM   #9
TacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to behold

yeah thats true too. There are very few "cold air" kits on the market, the OEM one is actually a cold air intake because it draws air from inside the fender. The reason I got one is not so much for the performance, but for sound, under-hood appearance, and reusable filter. Good luck bud!
Old 07-14-2009, 07:53 AM   #10
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorifuto View Post
Get the plastic tube. It won't conduct heat like the metal tube keeping your incoming air colder.
+1

Plastic, FTW.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:23 AM   #11

Even though the metal tube will retain heat and increase the temp of the incoming air, only a computer could tell the difference in HP gained. Besides the intake we are talking about here already draws air from the engine bay...
Old 07-14-2009, 08:54 AM   #12
mgtaco is on a distinguished road
mgtaco's Tacoma Gallery
mpg would go up or down?

Just wondering how mpg would change with this mod. My common sense tells me that it would go down, but what do I know?
Old 07-14-2009, 09:00 AM   #13
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorifuto View Post
Get the plastic tube. It won't conduct heat like the metal tube keeping your incoming air colder.
True! but. none of the air is actually going to be that cold/outside temp since the K&N is not a sealed unit..... I know it says it seals out the engine heat completely but I dont believe that for a minute.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:07 AM   #14
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
i agree that it doesnt seal out all the engine heat but i does seal out some, so the plastic tube is supposed to be alittle better, also K&N stats that the 63 plastic model has slightly higher HP gains
Old 07-14-2009, 09:35 AM   #15
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
if the OP wants a true CAI, either get the volant, TRD, or AEM (i think thats who makes the TRD) units since they use the same fender hole as the stock, they ARE sealed from the engine compartment, and they also get rid of the stock box after the throttle body
Old 07-14-2009, 09:46 AM   #16
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
to me the only real CAI is the URD one that sits in front of the radiator but it requires some cutting and could be suseptable to hydro lock... if the airbox is in the engine bay to me its not an true CAI as it will be the same temp as the engine bay so the colder air has to pass through the warm air filter and air box but thats just my opinion
Old 07-14-2009, 09:50 AM   #18
headhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

headhunter247's Tacoma Gallery
I have the 63 and love it. Since there arent many tacos that I have ridden in besides mine, a buddy that came visited said that mine was much louder than his, and he has stock.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:50 AM   #19
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgman View Post
to me the only real CAI is the URD one that sits in front of the radiator but it requires some cutting and could be suseptable to hydro lock... if the airbox is in the engine bay to me its not an true CAI as it will be the same temp as the engine bay so the colder air has to pass through the warm air filter and air box but thats just my opinion

but the TRD and Volants are still pulling air from outside the engine compartment. the URD still has tubing that goes inside to the engine, so that makes it a non-true CAI by your reasoning since the tube will be heated by the engine as well
Old 07-14-2009, 10:29 AM   #20
Arcanite09 is a jewel in the roughArcanite09 is a jewel in the roughArcanite09 is a jewel in the roughArcanite09 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Nico
Arcanite09's Tacoma Gallery
Well here in CA i cant use 63-9025 not CA approved "Off Road use Only" adds 10.31 HP @ 4978 RPM but 77-9025 is 50 state emissions approved and adds 10.17 HP @ 5174 RPM . So they are different besides the mats?

Products Discussed in this Thread