Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Are Access and Truxedo soft roll up tonneau secure?

Old 07-14-2009, 11:44 AM   #1
JonF will become famous soon enough
JonF's Tacoma Gallery
Are Access and Truxedo soft roll up tonneau secure?

I'm looking at these types of tonneau's because they are easy to "stow on the fly" (unlike folding covers) and do not intrude into the bed space (unlike hard roll up covers). I use my bed to haul my motorcycle so i need every inch of space up to the front of the bed and some covers are either not meant to be removed and intrude into precious bed space.

My tailgate has a lock and i know these covers have a latch, but since they are vinyl, what about the security of the cover itself? I understand these have some sort of cross-bow supports but the mfg web sites do not really go into detail on how exactly the supports are integrated in. Are there just 2-3 to keep the fabric from sagging or are they continuous and adjacent from front to back (think venetian blinds)? Continuous would be better from a security standpoint since it would be harder to cut a hole if theres bars all along the way.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:49 AM   #2
Go Vick ??? Go Birds !!!
Rtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rtrn2taco's Tacoma Gallery
My access cover has 2 - 1'' round cross supports. Not exactly what I would term secure but the cover can not be opened without having access thru the tailgate.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:50 PM   #5
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Be sure to check out Truck Alterations

http://www.truckalterations.com/html/tacomaworld.html

Luke always sets TacomaWorld users with a good price.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:01 PM   #6
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Secure only in the "out-of-sight, out-of-mind" way, but in that way they work very well.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:21 PM   #7
JonF will become famous soon enough
JonF's Tacoma Gallery
Well, i called both companies and apparently neither have any models with continuous bows embedded in the fabric. Both products have 2-3 small bows only leaving entire tonneau pretty much pure fabric succeptable to a knife cut. I'll just have to consider other types of more secure covers.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:00 PM   #9
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
Secure only in the "out-of-sight, out-of-mind" way, but in that way they work very well.
Exactly... out of sight-out of mind. The tailgate lock is just a deterant.

I have an Advantage Torza Top and it's a soft cover that folds. It doesn't have snaps or ridges that you can peel out. The bows are part of the fabric (so to speak). I have a pop-n-lock also.

Any soft cover can get cut open if someone wants in there bad enough.