Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

When should I get an oil change 3000 or 5000 miles?

Old 07-16-2009, 08:39 PM   #21
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
I went to synthetic at 1000mi mainly to have an excuse to change the diffs and t-case over as well.

You also might want to check your air filter at the first oil change to see how it's holding up....dusty out there in AZ.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:42 PM   #22
Okkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to behold

Okkine's Tacoma Gallery
I went according to the manual and did it at 5000, but the engine was feeling rough by 3000. Next new truck I'm doing it at 3000.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:35 PM   #23
hockey1chick is on a distinguished road
hockey1chick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey1chick View Post
My 1st official post --woo-hoo!

When should I get my 1st oil change --the sticker on my car says 5000 miles but all that I talk to say 3000 miles. I drove my truck out of the lot with 19 miles on it and now have 2,600+ miles (thanks to my trip twice to Scottsdale AZ to see mumsy)

Also, is there any 'special' I should have with the oil change?
Thank u all for all that info ---so with the oil change in mind ---should I install my cold air intake before or after the oil change ---i dunno --would it make a difference if I do before or after?
Old 07-16-2009, 10:15 PM   #24
atmospheric is on a distinguished road
atmospheric's Tacoma Gallery
yea i knew that i couldve run on that oil for another 2K but i just wanted to be safe. from now on though every 5K
Old 07-16-2009, 10:57 PM   #25
taco06 will become famous soon enough
Name: Alej
taco06's Tacoma Gallery
i change my oil at every 2500 miles w/o changing oil filter and my dealer changes it every 5000miles with oil filter. I owned a 02 mini cooper and bmw requierd oil changes every 10000 miles! of course I did it sooner than that.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:08 AM   #26
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco06 View Post
i change my oil at every 2500 miles w/o changing oil filter and my dealer changes it every 5000miles with oil filter. I owned a 02 mini cooper and bmw requierd oil changes every 10000 miles! of course I did it sooner than that.
Because....BMW doesn't know anything about cars?
Old 07-17-2009, 08:23 AM   #27
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Actually some Porsches have 20,000 mile oil changes. They also have multiple oil coolers and hold alot of oil. Synthetic only ofcourse. The new Corvette Z06 has 10,000 mile oil changes, but personally if I owned one of these cars I would change the oil once a year.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:21 AM   #28
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey1chick View Post
Thank u all for all that info ---so with the oil change in mind ---should I install my cold air intake before or after the oil change ---i dunno --would it make a difference if I do before or after?
Doesn't matter. You can do it now or when you change your oil since you have the hood open anyway. Which intake?
Old 07-17-2009, 11:11 AM   #29
taco06 will become famous soon enough
Name: Alej
taco06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
Because....BMW doesn't know anything about cars?
A BMW isnt much after 5yrs specially a 4bannger.My friend works for BMW, He says BMW does the 10000miles oil change cus they know there engines can last the 50000miles or 5yr warranty they offer.Better to lease!
Old 07-17-2009, 11:19 AM   #30
JeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JeffRock's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosajpo View Post
The first oil change should be done now with 2600 miles. After that every 5000 miles is absolutely fine. Dont believe the every 3000 mile rule. If you do it at every 3000 miles you are just wasting money. Some people will tell you every 3000 miles because that is the old standard from a long time ago. Oil is so much better than it was 30 years ago and will protect your engine better and longer.
The oil companies want you to get it changed every 3,000k.They make more money that way.
Doing it every 3,000k wont hurt the truck.
But the manual does say 5,000.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:28 AM   #31
Senior Member. Hey, what's That supposed to mean?
coma09 will become famous soon enoughcoma09 will become famous soon enough
coma09's Tacoma Gallery
#1 reason to change oil is contamination.
Blow by gasses condense, along with carbon in the oil. These are not good for the engine. Synth oil may last longer in terms of maintaining surface film and viscosity - but they get dirty at the same rate.

With highway miles, you can go further.
Hauling loads, and city driving, change it more often.

Keeping clean oil in the engine is way more beneficial than the brand or synth/dino debate. Heavy service and temp extremes benefit from synth.

Spend the extra $ changing it more often is my motto.

Synth can damage seals in vintage car engines, is the only negative I've ever heard about it. If money was no object, I'd use synth, but I change it every 5000km, which is about 3500 miles.