Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How can I tell if the bumper I want to buy fits?

Old 07-15-2009, 07:51 AM   #1
James08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

James08's Tacoma Gallery
How can I tell if the bumper I want to buy fits?

I want to replace my chrome rear bumper with a black one, but I'm a little gunshy since I don't know what bumper is the correct one for my truck.

I have an 08 TRD Off Road with the tow package. Is there any difference from one bumper to the next, or can I just buy any black bumper? Thanks.

Also, if I had the TRD Sport package instead of the Off Road would my bumper have come painted Black Sand Pearl like the rest of my truck, or would it have just been black like the bumpers pictured? I'm considering painting the new bumper BSP.
Attached Thumbnails
How can I tell if the bumper I want to buy fits?-rear-bumper-1.jpg   How can I tell if the bumper I want to buy fits?-rear-bumper-2.jpg  
Old 07-15-2009, 08:00 AM   #2
bajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: STEVE
bajamoon's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by James08 View Post
I want to replace my chrome rear bumper with a black one, but I'm a little gunshy since I don't know what bumper is the correct one for my truck.

I have an 08 TRD Off Road with the tow package. Is there any difference from one bumper to the next, or can I just buy any black bumper? Thanks.

Also, if I had the TRD Sport package instead of the Off Road would my bumper have come painted Black Sand Pearl like the rest of my truck, or would it have just been black like the bumpers pictured? I'm considering painting the new bumper BSP.
if you had the sport the bumper would be the same color as your truck, i think as long as the bumper is for 05+ you should be ok, the hitch bolts in with the bumper.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:03 AM   #3
James08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

James08's Tacoma Gallery
That is what I thought. I've got some of the BSP paint on the way, so I'll just paint it when I get it. I've got quite a bit of painting to do for other projects that I'm working on, so I'll perfect my abilities on that stuff before I attack the bumper.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:09 AM   #4

James08's Tacoma Gallery
Wanted to see if I could embed a picture directly in to my post.... Sweet! It worked!

Old 07-15-2009, 08:24 AM   #5
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
The parts catalog has 3 or 4 different bumpers I think. The third being the X-runner bumper which I believe is the same as a Sport bumper, except it has the body skirt attached. All the bumpers should have the same mounts, the only real difference is the chrome.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:34 AM   #6
The Stroker Ace
hendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
hendooman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

James I want that back bumper, where did you find that at? Is it in KC?
Old 07-15-2009, 08:54 AM   #7

James08's Tacoma Gallery
It is about $350 from a dealership, but I'll sell you a chrome one for less... I'm sure that helps, right? ha.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:00 AM   #8
TRDnAZ is a jewel in the roughTRDnAZ is a jewel in the roughTRDnAZ is a jewel in the roughTRDnAZ is a jewel in the rough

TRDnAZ's Tacoma Gallery
Hey James I had the same idea. Whats the part number on that black bumper?
Old 07-15-2009, 09:05 AM   #9

James08's Tacoma Gallery
Just give your stealership a call. I didn't write it down, sorry.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:06 AM   #11
rpparkster is a splendid one to beholdrpparkster is a splendid one to beholdrpparkster is a splendid one to beholdrpparkster is a splendid one to beholdrpparkster is a splendid one to beholdrpparkster is a splendid one to beholdrpparkster is a splendid one to behold

Name: Roger
rpparkster's Tacoma Gallery
James, when you're ready to do it, W8N4MUD did a good write-up in the Mods & Tutorials Section. I switched my Chrome bumper (w/ Tow package) out for a black one that didn't have the Tow Package. Good luck.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:45 AM   #12

James08's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the help. Hopefully the one I buy will be set up for the tow package!
Old 07-16-2009, 09:45 AM   #13

James08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendooman View Post
James I want that back bumper, where did you find that at? Is it in KC?
I found mine on ebay. One of them was from a private seller that said he didn't want to ship it, but I emailed him and he was okay shipping it if I just had Fedex come pick it up from his work. I won that auction last night for $152.50. The other picture is from one that a dealership is selling on eby for $275 with about $45 worth of shipping on it. I would have told you yesterday, but I didn't want to create any competition on something I wanted. Sorry, man.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:55 AM   #14
The Stroker Ace
hendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
hendooman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I found mine on ebay. One of them was from a private seller that said he didn't want to ship it, but I emailed him and he was okay shipping it if I just had Fedex come pick it up from his work. I won that auction last night for $152.50. The other picture is from one that a dealership is selling on eby for $275 with about $45 worth of shipping on it. I would have told you yesterday, but I didn't want to create any competition on something I wanted. Sorry, man.
Funny, I wouldnt have outbid you, I do like th eidea though. Good work. Anyluck selling yours on craigslist?
Old 07-16-2009, 11:31 AM   #15

James08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendooman View Post
Funny, I wouldnt have outbid you, I do like th eidea though. Good work. Anyluck selling yours on craigslist?

That one isn't mine actually. My bumper is still on my truck. I've got a number of projects to work on, and I haven't started on any of them yet.

My nightshades tail light tint came in the other day, my HID headlights and fogs came in today, I should have the BSP paint for my grill surround, BHLM, and skid plate tomorrow or early next week too. In a couple weeks I'll have my upper and lower grillcraft grills in, and my bumper should be in within a week as well. I'm going to be very busy for the next few weeks. Oh, and I'm getting the TSB done on the 31st of July too.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:37 PM   #17

James08's Tacoma Gallery
I completely forgot about that.... When you wrote bumper for sale it didn't even register with me since I was trying to trade instead of selling it....

I didn't get a single response out of it by the way... Maybe that is why I forgot about it.