Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Removing Adhesive (aka superlamp)

Old 12-12-2007, 01:49 PM   #21
Carolina Alliance Costal Div
2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of

2003greenbean's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
yeah, i'm thinking about a custom fab job using duct tape
i want to see how it turns out i might try it
Old 12-12-2007, 05:26 PM   #22
Spacedude is on a distinguished road

Spacedude's Tacoma Gallery
To remove adhesive, use "GoofOff" it worked great when I took my TRD stickers off. Does not harm the paint at all. Use wax to finish. Leave everything off, I think that would look very cool.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:34 PM   #23
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I would use the tiger glass method to solve your super lamp method.

To get the sticky off, I go for WD-40.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:40 PM   #24
Secret Agent
Viper-2 will become famous soon enough
Viper-2's Tacoma Gallery
I second the Hilux emblems.

That's weird your emblem came off, pretty synchronistic. Maybe it's the fact that it's December 12th and it's still 85 frickin degrees here!
Old 12-13-2007, 04:51 AM   #25
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
You're a real class act. At lunch today I saw something a step up from that. A guy in an old beat up Chevy had gotten those numbers you can buy at the hardware store to put your address on your mailbox and put "4X4" on the truck. It was so ghetto.
Thats actually a good idea... Back when i had the beamer i used electrical tape to put "M3" right next to my chrome "325i" badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisin925 View Post
was there a difference in the paint?? because i gotta black taco and i'm hesitant to to take of the emblems, cause i heard there'll be a different shade of black under??
we'll i'm not done yet, i'm having a hard time getting the adhesive off. I tried alcohol and it didn't work so well. today i'll try goo-gone and then if that doesnt work i'll try a chisel. I have a black truck and the paint is the same underneath. if your truck were older the paint underneath might not be as faded as the rest, but mines only 8 months old so its fine
Old 12-13-2007, 04:57 AM   #26
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

nd's Tacoma Gallery
UPDATE: Emblems are off..... adhesive is not. alcohol did not work so great. so today i'm gonna try goo-gone and/or wd-40. Space dude, do you mean "goo-off"? cause i found some of that in the garage but i was hesitant to put it on new paint cause ihad no idea how it would react. I assume its the same as goo gone but i hate to assume when dealing with new paint on a new truck. thats the kind of assumption that makes you hate yourself in the morning.

Also, the V6 badge that just fell off must have been hanging on by a thread for a long time. The adhevise where it was looks like its been drying for the last couple of months. Instead of gray and sticky its yellow and hard and crusty. i dont really now how to get it off. I'm gonna try soaking a rag and letting it sit on the crusty stuff for a while to soften it up. any other suggestions?
Old 12-13-2007, 08:24 AM   #27
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
UPDATE: Emblems are off..... adhesive is not. alcohol did not work so great. so today i'm gonna try goo-gone and/or wd-40. Space dude, do you mean "goo-off"? cause i found some of that in the garage but i was hesitant to put it on new paint cause ihad no idea how it would react. I assume its the same as goo gone but i hate to assume when dealing with new paint on a new truck. thats the kind of assumption that makes you hate yourself in the morning.

Also, the V6 badge that just fell off must have been hanging on by a thread for a long time. The adhevise where it was looks like its been drying for the last couple of months. Instead of gray and sticky its yellow and hard and crusty. i dont really now how to get it off. I'm gonna try soaking a rag and letting it sit on the crusty stuff for a while to soften it up. any other suggestions?
WD-40 is paint safe, and it will get the job done, but will take a little rubbing to do it. Just make sure to keep the rag clean of any of the little "gum balls" that will build up as you get the crap off the truck, and keep the rag pretty thouroughly wet with the wd-40. A dry rag + rubbing hard = scratched truck.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:47 AM   #28
Carolina Alliance Costal Div
2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of

2003greenbean's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick491 View Post
WD-40 is paint safe, and it will get the job done, but will take a little rubbing to do it. Just make sure to keep the rag clean of any of the little "gum balls" that will build up as you get the crap off the truck, and keep the rag pretty thouroughly wet with the wd-40. A dry rag + rubbing hard = scratched truck.
i used wd-40 to get the emb off my tool box worked great
Old 12-14-2007, 09:09 AM   #29

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, the truck is completely de-badged (except for the TRD stickers) and all the adhesive is off (goof off worked really well). I washed it yesterday but you can still see the outline very lightly, and the area around it where i scrubed looks funny. i dont think i damaged the paint, i think its just residue from the goof off but how do i get this to blend with the rest of the truck? do i need to claybar, or buff, or polish or wax or what? BTW, i love the look with no chrome and no badging. Next step is to get some black spraypaint and take care of that emblem in the grill
Old 01-06-2008, 09:46 PM   #30
The Reel Sportsman
TacomaYAK will become famous soon enoughTacomaYAK will become famous soon enough

TacomaYAK's Tacoma Gallery
Wow...it was so easy to debadge my truck today. No blowdryer or heating gun required or even wd-40 or goo gone stuff. I took some of my braided fishing line, ran it behind everything, and peeled off the remained adhesive with my fingernails. I'd say it took me all about 10 minutes to do it. I love the look.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:21 PM   #31
Carolina Alliance: Midwest Firearms Division
TuRDTACO is on a distinguished road

TuRDTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TuRDTACO
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaYAK View Post
Wow...it was so easy to debadge my truck today. No blowdryer or heating gun required or even wd-40 or goo gone stuff. I took some of my braided fishing line, ran it behind everything, and peeled off the remained adhesive with my fingernails. I'd say it took me all about 10 minutes to do it. I love the look.
thats the same way i did mine, the fishing line works better than anything else i've tried
Old 01-09-2008, 07:04 AM   #32
Banned
danusa will become famous soon enoughdanusa will become famous soon enough
Army: Para Ranger, Inf. SF CIB
danusa's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm probably gonna leave them off all together but i was thinking about painting them black and putting them back on, but it seems like a pain. any idea what to use to clean off the adhesive?
There is some stuff called Goo Gone that wil remove evidence tape without harming fine wood.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:09 AM   #33
Banned
danusa's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for the imput guys, i think i'm gonna save myself some time and just leave them off. I like greenbeans idea, but maybe i should take it a bit farther and put some nissan frontier badges on there and join clubfrotier. I'd be like a wolf in sheeps clothing It woudl also be fun to do that and try to sell it and put it in the classifieds as a frontier and try to conivnce people thats what it was....

I actually considered taking some school pride and painting them clemson orange (i had tacomaman in mind when i thought of this) but decided that would completely negate my whole "black" theme
While you`re at it; why not Puff the Majic Dragon with GE Gatling guns.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:13 AM   #34
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Space dude, do you mean "goo-off"? cause i found some of that in the garage but i was hesitant to put it on new paint cause ihad no idea how it would react. I assume its the same as goo gone but i hate to assume when dealing with new paint on a new truck. thats the kind of assumption that makes you hate yourself in the morning.
You could try it on a non-visible area to see if it affects the paint (like inside the door jam).
Old 01-09-2008, 10:10 AM   #35

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by danusa View Post
While you`re at it; why not Puff the Majic Dragon with GE Gatling guns.
I have no idea what that means....
Old 01-09-2008, 11:44 AM   #36
Banned
danusa's Tacoma Gallery
The adhesive just reminded me of some nose art. They make you take it off when the shooting is done.
I looked in some books at the EAA Library and never did find that piece.
It was on a C-47, if any one cares.
I remember it. I do not care if a picture was ever taken.