Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Removing Adhesive (aka superlamp)

Old 12-11-2007, 08:35 AM   #1
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Removing Adhesive (aka superlamp)

For those of you that do not get the "superlamp" reference, thats ok, its not meant for you.

Anyway, for a while now i have been debating on whether or not to debadge my truck, but apparently the decision has been made for me. My truck is telling me it doesnt want chrome badging on it anymore. I went out to the parking lot yesterday and my "V6" badge was hanging at a 90 degree angle by a thread, so i just pulled it off. Anyway, i have a few questions. First of all, what should i use to clean the remaining adhesive off without damaging the paint?

2) Why did the badge come off? I thought that adhesive was practically permanant. My last car was 17 years old and it never lost anything.

3) Whats your opionon.... should i take the badges off and paint them (black or grey or (insert color here) or just leave them off all together.

Thanks guys
Old 12-11-2007, 11:19 AM   #2
Lee's06Taco is on a distinguished road

Lee's06Taco's Tacoma Gallery
take all badges off and replace it with something else. make it diff from other.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:41 AM   #3
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

nd's Tacoma Gallery
I'm probably gonna leave them off all together but i was thinking about painting them black and putting them back on, but it seems like a pain. any idea what to use to clean off the adhesive?
Old 12-11-2007, 11:52 AM   #4
Lee's06Taco is on a distinguished road

Lee's06Taco's Tacoma Gallery
try hot water and soap and scrub it. if that dont work try using alcohol.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:27 PM   #5
spencer_hong is on a distinguished road
spencer_hong's Tacoma Gallery
I took mine off, and repainted them black.
Just use rubbing alcohol or 3M adhesive removal spray to get them off. Rubbing alcohol works fine though, you can also just rub most of it off with your finger.
If you're planning on taking the other ones off, use a heat gun or blow dryer to heat the adhesive, then just peel them off or use fishing wire to swipe them off from behind
Old 12-11-2007, 12:28 PM   #6

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer_hong View Post
I took mine off, and repainted them black.
Just use rubbing alcohol or 3M adhesive removal spray to get them off. Rubbing alcohol works fine though, you can also just rub most of it off with your finger.
If you're planning on taking the other ones off, use a heat gun or blow dryer to heat the adhesive, then just peel them off or use fishing wire to swipe them off from behind
yeah, i remember people suggesting fishing line or dental floss and a hair dryer, i just couldnt remember what to use on the leftover 'gunk'
Old 12-11-2007, 02:12 PM   #7
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
hey bro....you're going for the blacked out look,right?? leave the emblems off!! put them up in a box and just save them. as far as getting the other emblems off.......hair dryer and fishing line is all ya need. getting the remaining adhesive off......get some "goo gone", works great. just kinda wash the area off a little after you use it. then when you get the black rims...........that ride is gonna be hot man!!
Old 12-11-2007, 02:28 PM   #8
Carolina Alliance Costal Div
2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of

2003greenbean's Tacoma Gallery
take them off and put lexus emblems on
Old 12-11-2007, 04:32 PM   #9
deepsee is on a distinguished road

Army: Master Diver/Pilot
Name: Bobby
deepsee's Tacoma Gallery
i used 60 pound fishing line to take them off but i painted them black and use 3m tape to put them back on
Old 12-12-2007, 06:26 AM   #10

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the imput guys, i think i'm gonna save myself some time and just leave them off. I like greenbeans idea, but maybe i should take it a bit farther and put some nissan frontier badges on there and join clubfrotier. I'd be like a wolf in sheeps clothing It woudl also be fun to do that and try to sell it and put it in the classifieds as a frontier and try to conivnce people thats what it was....

I actually considered taking some school pride and painting them clemson orange (i had tacomaman in mind when i thought of this) but decided that would completely negate my whole "black" theme
Old 12-12-2007, 07:20 AM   #11
Tacoma World Ring Leader
klown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

klown's Tacoma Gallery
2003greanbean is on to something, maybe put yugo emblems or hyundai emblems, that will throw people off big time LOL
Old 12-12-2007, 07:26 AM   #12
Unapologetic Texan
sawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to behold

sawdust's Tacoma Gallery
You need to scour the internet for some Hilux emblems. That would be cool.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:43 AM   #13

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
You need to scour the internet for some Hilux emblems. That would be cool.
actually, maybe i should look for some "Texas Edition" emblems....
Old 12-12-2007, 09:11 AM   #14
Unapologetic Texan
sawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to behold

sawdust's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
... and give them to me
Old 12-12-2007, 10:17 AM   #15
Carolina Alliance Costal Div
2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of

2003greenbean's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
you mean carolina dont you
Old 12-12-2007, 10:41 AM   #16

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003greenbean View Post
you mean carolina dont you
yeah, i'm thinking about a custom fab job using duct tape
Old 12-12-2007, 10:46 AM   #17
scubaman44 is on a distinguished road
scubaman44's Tacoma Gallery
Wd-40

will do it and dental floss.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:44 PM   #18
Unapologetic Texan

sawdust's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yeah, i'm thinking about a custom fab job using duct tape
You're a real class act. At lunch today I saw something a step up from that. A guy in an old beat up Chevy had gotten those numbers you can buy at the hardware store to put your address on your mailbox and put "4X4" on the truck. It was so ghetto.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:02 PM   #19
vivafire is on a distinguished road

vivafire's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
You're a real class act. At lunch today I saw something a step up from that. A guy in an old beat up Chevy had gotten those numbers you can buy at the hardware store to put your address on your mailbox and put "4X4" on the truck. It was so ghetto.
WTF
Old 12-12-2007, 01:09 PM   #20
cruisin925 is on a distinguished road

cruisin925's Tacoma Gallery
was there a difference in the paint?? because i gotta black taco and i'm hesitant to to take of the emblems, cause i heard there'll be a different shade of black under??