Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Can the Factory Rack/Bars be used with Yakima's FATCAT 6

Old 07-16-2009, 10:07 AM   #1
jscrub is on a distinguished road
jscrub's Tacoma Gallery
Can the Factory Rack/Bars be used with Yakima's FATCAT 6

Hi all,

Dont know if this question has been asked. I tried searching but found nothing specific. Well I was contemplating on getting a 2009 Tacoma Double Cab. I was wondering if YAKIMA's FATCAT 6 can be used with Toyota's Factory RACK/BARS. Has anyone else tried this? Any pics? Can I fit 4 Snowbaords and Clear the roof?

- J
Old 07-16-2009, 10:13 AM   #2
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not sure how the fatcats look like but I have factory racks and tried putting my Thule snowboard angled holders on there with wide-mouth clips and it barely went around the bars. I didn't get them on there but I will with some minor rigging. Haven't messed with them in a long time.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:48 AM   #3
brandob9 is a jewel in the roughbrandob9 is a jewel in the roughbrandob9 is a jewel in the roughbrandob9 is a jewel in the rough
Name: Brandon
brandob9's Tacoma Gallery
What shape are the factory crossbars? The FatCats are come with clips that are designed to work with factory tapered ovoids (Subaru's style), Thule squares and Yakima rounds.

The set I installed last winter would fit onto an ovoid about 1" thick by 3" wide.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #4
ambro is on a distinguished road
Name: Dan
ambro's Tacoma Gallery
jscrub,
I have the Yakima FatCat6's on my OEM roof racks/cross bars. The only thing I needed to purchase to make them fit was different length bolts. FatCats come with 1" and 2" inch button caps. The 1" screws are too short and the clip wont come together, the 2" screws hit the roof when tightened.

You need 8x 1 1/4" 1/4" -20 Stainless Steel Button Head Socket Cap Screws

http://www.mcmaster.com/
Price: ~$6.00

I know its a couple years late, but hopefully it helps others.
Attached Thumbnails
Can the Factory Rack/Bars be used with Yakima's FATCAT 6-roof1.jpg   Can the Factory Rack/Bars be used with Yakima's FATCAT 6-roof2.jpg  
Old 10-18-2012, 03:06 PM   #5
photonashville has much to be proud ofphotonashville has much to be proud ofphotonashville has much to be proud ofphotonashville has much to be proud ofphotonashville has much to be proud ofphotonashville has much to be proud ofphotonashville has much to be proud ofphotonashville has much to be proud ofphotonashville has much to be proud ofphotonashville has much to be proud of
Name: John
photonashville's Tacoma Gallery
The wind noise from my factory rack when open is considerable even at normal speeds around town.

I added a Yakima rack to my Leer cap and it's very quiet in comparison. I keep the factory rack closed to each side, not sure if I'll keep them or not.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:23 PM   #6
Palmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant future

Army: U.S. Army
Name: Pete
Palmetto Pete's Tacoma Gallery
I had the Fat Cat 6 on the OEM roof rack on my '10. It took some adjusting but I got the 2" screws to work. I didn't have any issues with wind noise while the bars were deployed with the rack.