1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cool Water/hot engine, Damage??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Terrier, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Dec 11, 2007 at 3:58 PM
    Terrier

Terrier [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2008 SR5 Access Cab 4x4 2.7
    :confused:Kind of curious here. We just had some good snow and my Tacama was filthy as a result with all sorts of dirt/ice in the wheel wells. Drove it to one of those self serve car washes with the high pressure spray hoses and washed my wheel wells spraying straight in. Looking in the front wheel wells, I noticed that the engine block as well as other engine parts are exposed and I must have sprayed in them.
    Can the cool water from the high pressure hose damage the hot engine parts or crack the hot block?
    You would think that there is no issue in light of off-roaders that do high water crossings, or is that somehow different?
    Look forward to your responses. Thanks.

2. Dec 11, 2007 at 4:44 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    glad you brought this up!! i say if you are going thru standing water, 4 or 5 feet deep, then yes...it will do damage. as far as washing a warmed up truck with a high pressure hose...dont even worry an ounce about it. think of it like this........when it rains(even pours cats and dogs:D)...where does some of the water go? you guessed it...........right up into the engine compartment. and there are rarely any problems from that even...maybe a squeaky set of brakes once in a blue moon, but thats it. basically,what im saying, is that you are good to go!!!

3. Dec 11, 2007 at 4:48 PM
    TSUNAMI*22

TSUNAMI*22 Obama can suck-it

Member:
    Stockton, CA
    Vehicle:
    '07 Standard Cab / White / 2.7 I4
    ScanGuage 2 equipped. Toyota DIY aftermarket Cruise Control mod
    Quick bursts shouldn't hurt anything, but if the water is really cold and the engine block is really hot you might get localized "shock cooling" if you sustain water pressure on one spot. It can cause damage to the motor. Aluminum gets rid of heat quickly.

Take a glass and put it on the stove in some hot water and boil it......then drop it into some ice water. You'll get the idea.

<don't really do this unless you are absolutely nutts>:eek:

4. Dec 11, 2007 at 6:04 PM
    2003greenbean

2003greenbean Carolina Alliance Costal Div

Member:
    socaste,sc
    Vehicle:
    03 trd
    cold air intake, step bars, custom grill, 3in lift,12 in audiobahn sub, 285/75/16 procomp tires, 20% tint,
    i had a friend in high school went to the car wash lifted the hood and cleaned the engin he ended up cracking the head on his camero

5. Dec 11, 2007 at 6:09 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....

yeah.....thats not a good idea at all, lifting the hood and trying to wash a hot engine. a normal wash with "pressure washer"...such as at a carwash isnt gonna hurt anything though.

6. Dec 11, 2007 at 6:18 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    A quick spray on a hot engine will only make the water evaporate. Like others said, popping the hood and hitting a hot engine with a prolonged blast is another thing.

7. Dec 11, 2007 at 6:37 PM
    Toy4Life

Toy4Life 668: The Neighbor of the Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    96 Subaru Outback 2.2 5mt
    92 4Runner SR5 3.0v6 4x4(sold) 02 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad 4x4 (sold)
    I don't own a pressure washer. After I go wheelin', I hose out the engine compartment and I don't know how to get to the carwash with a cool engine, excluding towing.

8. Dec 12, 2007 at 6:38 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    I treat my engine like a muscle. after i get done working it out hard i pack the engine compartment with about 20 large bags of ice.

DISCLAIMER: I dont really do this. Dont do this. if you do this you're an idiot and deserve what happens

9. Dec 12, 2007 at 6:47 AM
    gsm

gsm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Regular Cab, 2.7L, Impulse Red Pearl
    DIY OEM Fog Lights on anytime, DIY OEM Cruise Control, Removed 2ndary Air Filter, Rear Speakers Mod, Traction Bar/Helper Spring Mod, Red Brake Drums and Rotors, Stainless Steel Exhaust Tip, Door Sill Protectors, Taco Bed Mat, Custom Front Mud Flaps (Mudguards), TRD Bucket Seats (pending)
    I prefer to just do it at home with a water hose and some WD-40 and degreaser. But with water rationing on/off for the last couple of years I've had to go to a car wash.

Myself, I B-line to the car wash and sit for a short time with the hood open and oil filler cap open to help disempate (spelling) the heat. After about 15 minutes -give or take depending on the heat (distance traveled), I replace the oil filler cap and most car washes spray nozzle will squirt a little stream of water continuously prior to putting in any money. I use that slight slow stream to wet the engine down slowly and can tell how hot the engine still is while at the same time slowly cooling it down.

Then out comes the WD-40 (works great in the engine compartment) and engine degreaser for the heavy spots. After a moment or two I then pay the machine and give it a quick wash off not staying in one location for any length of time removing the "Gunk" and WD-40. After driving home and the engine drys off I spray WD-40 on all the plastic/rubber parts. Really shines everything up and helps protect them - plus makes the next cleanup easier. Only thing about using WD-40 to detail the engine compartment is that it attracts dust (especially if you off road or drive on gravel) but it washes right off.

I've been doing this with my wifes Nissan Sentra since new (1990) and you can still eat off the engine compartment 18 years later!

10. Dec 12, 2007 at 7:14 PM
    Terrier

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:

Toy4Life, do you let your engine cool down before applying the water, and is the water normal temperature or is it heated?

11. Dec 12, 2007 at 7:33 PM
    Toy4Life

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    Water is normal temp. Car wash is 10 min. from home. Sometimes I wash outside before engine, but I've also just dove right in under the hood. I've never heard of it causing problems and always figured if the water from wheeling was ok, then so was the carwash.

12. Dec 12, 2007 at 7:53 PM
    Terrier

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    Toy4Life, thanks for your prompt response. Does your engine have a cast iron or aluminum block? I think, but am not sure, that the recent (2005+) V6 has an aluminum block while the 4 cyl. 2.7 has a cast iron block.

13. Dec 12, 2007 at 8:12 PM
    Toy4Life

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    I think it's aluminum

14. Dec 13, 2007 at 4:40 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    we have aluminum block?!!? that sucks, is that common in new cars? The BMW 750 uses (or at least use to use) aluminum blocks to save weight. But the problem was if they overheated one really good time the block cracked and needed to be replaced (which is really expensive for a BMW 12cyl) I dont like the idea of aluminum.

15. Dec 13, 2007 at 5:10 AM
    gsm

gsm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Regular Cab, 2.7L, Impulse Red Pearl
    DIY OEM Fog Lights on anytime, DIY OEM Cruise Control, Removed 2ndary Air Filter, Rear Speakers Mod, Traction Bar/Helper Spring Mod, Red Brake Drums and Rotors, Stainless Steel Exhaust Tip, Door Sill Protectors, Taco Bed Mat, Custom Front Mud Flaps (Mudguards), TRD Bucket Seats (pending)
    I believe a good deal of newer cars are using aluminum blocks for fuel economy (saves weight as you said). But I believe they either are using higher grade aluminum or the engines are designed better to run cooler, or maybe both. I don't hear of this being a problem any longer. But I would still use caution. The Pinto was natorious for overheating and cracking (showing my age). I just wouldn't recommend hitting your warm-hot engine with a steady stream of cool water. And if you start to overheat, shut it down ASAP. Just my thoughts. I'm sure someone else will log in eventually with more technical data :wave:

16. Dec 13, 2007 at 5:31 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    Yeah, even my TDI (diesel engines get hotter than gas), I washed without cool down. Ooops. Well, I will have to stop that practice. ;)

I never really had a problem. Of course those were Subaru, Honda, VW (TDI), and Toyota. :D

Products Discussed in

To Top