Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Toyota Door Edge Guards

Old 07-17-2009, 11:33 AM   #1
ser240z is on a distinguished road

Name: Scott
ser240z's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota Door Edge Guards

Don't know if this is the right place, admin please relocate if not, but I was wondering if anybody has put on the Toyota door edge guards. How important is if to remove the door seam seal before install? Or can you just push them on over it without it screwing anything up of faling off?

Thanks
Scott
Old 07-17-2009, 11:36 AM   #2
Banned
DdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Crazy
DdayIsNear's Tacoma Gallery
dont think you need to remove that, should slip right on
Old 07-17-2009, 12:02 PM   #3
Mandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mandy3206's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation

It would look better and be cheaper if you get black generic door edge protector for trucks (longer than for cars) from Advance or Pep Boys, then cut the length that you need and like, at a price that can be replaced as needed.
OEM are way overpriced and I bet they won't last either.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:11 PM   #4
Banned
DdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shed
^^^^+1
Old 07-17-2009, 12:11 PM   #5
Banned
^^^^+1 thats what i use
Old 07-17-2009, 01:01 PM   #6

ser240z's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the responses. I actually already have the OEM one, just wanted to check before install. I thought about aftermarket, but I kinda like how the OEM contours to the door shape and matches the body color. To each his own, nothing wrong if aftermarket.

Thanks
Scott
Old 07-17-2009, 01:11 PM   #7
Mandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mandy3206's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ser240z View Post
Thanks for the responses. I actually already have the OEM one, just wanted to check before install. I thought about aftermarket, but I kinda like how the OEM contours to the door shape and matches the body color. To each his own, nothing wrong if aftermarket.

Thanks
Scott
I just checked www.trdparts4u.com and saw new ones, I thought you were talking about the old fat dealer style short guards that look ridiculous, these are great and look sharp.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:17 PM   #8
The "Search" tab is your friend!!
steviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Steve
steviestyles's Tacoma Gallery
I installed the dealer ones, you need to remove the door edge seems. The door guards are molded to fit with the seams removed, and will not really stay on if the seam is there. I f'ed my seam up pretty good. I used the cutting tool wrong and it really tore up the seam. I was thingking or replacing the seam and starting over, but I wouldn't know where to get that seam. It's not on any parts list breakdown that i could find.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:49 PM   #9

ser240z's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know that it's actually a part. It seems like it's almost that black weatherstripping cement covered with paint, but I could be wrong. If it's the place I'm thinking, it's kinda soft. I'm worried that even if I cut it, it'll pull paint off along with it.

Scott
Old 07-17-2009, 04:08 PM   #10
The "Search" tab is your friend!!
steviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Steve
steviestyles's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ser240z View Post
I don't know that it's actually a part. It seems like it's almost that black weatherstripping cement covered with paint, but I could be wrong. If it's the place I'm thinking, it's kinda soft. I'm worried that even if I cut it, it'll pull paint off along with it.

Scott
The door is unpainted under the stripping. The thing for me is that that stripping is contoured to the door shape, and tapers off at the end, that's why I question where to get it. I don't think you can get it at Lowe's or Home Depot. It's as if it come on the door from the factory, and the only way to replace the original is to get a new door. However; yes the seal is glued with an epoxy to the door, and the bare metal is exposed one you pull away the weatherstrip. I tried to cover the exposed area with touch up paint as called for by the instructions. As I mentioned earlier, make sure you use the stripping tool properly, or the weatherstripping will not come off cleanly and look like a botched job.