Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

62k Miles later.... Bad Seal

Old 07-19-2009, 06:40 PM   #1
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
62k Miles later.... Bad Seal

So I went in to rotate my tires at my shop today, before I even got the wheels off, I noticed the inside of my left rear wheel was soaked and coated with dust. YAY. Sniff Sniff... not brake fluid!!!!

Hopefully they'll cover under warranty. I see no reason why not. It seems to be a pretty good leak. Hope the oil doesn't ruin tires.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:18 PM   #2
TreyMR2 has a spectacular aura aboutTreyMR2 has a spectacular aura about
TreyMR2's Tacoma Gallery
Any GOOD dealership probably will. I know we usually cover stuff thats that close to the warranty date being out.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:27 AM   #5
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brian's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyMR2 View Post
Any GOOD dealership probably will. I know we usually cover stuff thats that close to the warranty date being out.
LoL, I've still got 44k left on my warranty, THAT is not an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnecon2001 View Post
Is your CV leaking?
I didn't know CV's came on rear axles
Old 07-20-2009, 06:29 AM   #6
petersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
petersharp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by briangp View Post
LoL, I've still got 44k left on my warranty, THAT is not an issue.

I didn't know CV's came on rear axles
They don't, it must be a steering arm.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:31 AM   #7
go shit in your hat
brianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shed
brianr's Tacoma Gallery
okay everyone, quick go out and check your axle seals!
Old 07-20-2009, 06:33 AM   #8
Bah Humshit!

brian's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxRacR17 View Post
where is is leaking from?
Its leaking from inside the brake drum. I know the smell. Its not brake fluid. I even stuck my left finger in the brake resevior and right finger in the leaking oil to confirm. Gee.... I wonder what kinda oil that leaves?
Old 07-20-2009, 08:32 AM   #9
Bah Humshit!

brian's Tacoma Gallery
Alright, just got back from the dealership. They confirmed my suspicions, its a bad wheel seal. They didn't have the parts, so they told me to come back tommorow morning and they'll fix it. The only thing warranty wouldn't cover is turning the brake drum. I told him don't worry about it.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:36 AM   #10
Bah Humshit!

brian's Tacoma Gallery
annnnnddd back to the dealership, coming home with a rental boys....
Old 07-21-2009, 11:39 PM   #11
Bah Humshit!

brian's Tacoma Gallery
Fixed! got a free rental, camry for the day. They only replaced pads on the affected side, so I'm going to call and ask tommorow, they left the other pads on my floor. :s
Old 07-22-2009, 12:26 PM   #12
Bah Humshit!

brian's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krookz View Post
Other pads? Like brake pads?
Shoes should I say Yeah, they only replaced the shoes on the affected side. They left the other side on my passengers floor. I called them today and spoke to two different guys, they claim at 60k miles those shoes don't usually even show signs of wear. I'll go with it, simply because everything feels fine. I may get bored and change the shoes, I know how easy it is, but I really don't care.