Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Cargo divider

Old 12-13-2007, 01:25 PM   #1
She's Kickass!
gavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to behold

gavonder's Tacoma Gallery
Cargo divider

Hello, Everyone,

I just purchased a 2008 Tacoma and I bought the bed cargo divider. It seems like it is impossible to slide it along the rails. Even if I can get it to move, I have to walk around to each side to slide it.

Before I return it, I just wanted to ask if anyone else has this problem or a solution.

Thanks,

GA
Old 12-13-2007, 01:40 PM   #2
Unapologetic Texan
sawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to behold

sawdust's Tacoma Gallery
I got one of those same cargo bars right after Thanksgiving. I wouldn't call them advanced engineering or anything, and they're somewhat time consuming to set to the proper length, but for $6 the price is right.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:00 PM   #3
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom View Post
well i got two cargo bars from "harbor freight" for $6 each
they have a rubber pad about 4 inches by 4 inches on each side and you apply tension by turning the pipe and it expands out and works great for me? if you look for other cargo bars you will see they run about $30
just a idea ;-D
they don't use the rail, just the side of the bed anywhere and can be put all the way back at the end of the rails ;-D

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=43569
Sounds good to me
Old 12-13-2007, 05:19 PM   #4
Thinks he's Steve McQueen
squad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Marc
squad314's Tacoma Gallery
GA,
I think the divider works the same way as my factory cargo bars.I find the easiest way to move them back and forth on the rails is to get in the back of the truck and loosen the lock wheels on the cleats.I find that if I depress both wheels with my thumbs and grab the cleats,the bar will slide freely back and forth on the rail.It is important to move both sides at the same time or the bar/divider will kitty corner and jam.After a bit of practice it has gotten much simpler and quicker......Try this and see if it works for you.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:48 PM   #5
She's Kickass!
gavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to behold

Thanks, everyone for the alternatives. I'll check them out.

Squad314,

Are the cleats on the bars spring loaded like the tie down cleats that come on the track? The way you describe them, it sounds like it. That would have been a better design, but the divider just has square headed bolts, with the thumb wheels, that fit in the track. It seems that when I loosen them, the square head turns inside the track, so they get stuck in the notches in the track.

When I get some time (and daylight - it's dark early here), I will remove them and look closer.

I just thought someone else may have had the same trouble.

Thanks very much,

GA
Old 12-13-2007, 06:00 PM   #6
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
oh...and to the carolina guys...there is a harbor freight warehouse/store on 95...i pass it all the time, just cant remember where...i think its outside of florence
Old 12-14-2007, 05:51 AM   #7
Thinks he's Steve McQueen
squad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Marc
squad314's Tacoma Gallery
GA,

I'm sorry,I just took a closer look and I think our two systems are different....My bars actually use the factory cleats with the spring loaded thumbwheel....

Would being in the back of the truck and trying to move both sides of yours help at all?
Old 12-14-2007, 08:30 PM   #8
She's Kickass!

It does help to be in the bed to reach both at the same time, but I have a cap on my truck - makes it a little hard.

I'm starting to think that the square head bolts that slide into the track are the wrong size because, like I said, they seem to be spinning and getting caught in the track notches.

I will look at them tomorrow, and take a picture.

Thanks,
GA

Oh, I forgot - the divider does not use the existing cleats like your bars. It just uses the square head bolts.
Old 12-15-2007, 03:57 AM   #9
Secret Agent
Viper-2 will become famous soon enough
Viper-2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
oh...and to the carolina guys...there is a harbor freight warehouse/store on 95...i pass it all the time, just cant remember where...i think its outside of florence

Yeah that one is good. But I have one 5 minutes from my house and it has the same stuff.

As for the cargo bars, they are seriously cheap crap that broke on me after a few months. I have always used cargo bars. I got a ratchet type from JC Whitney and now a screw one from Autoanything (free with Lund tonneua cover) which are great.

But in all fairness the ratchet one was out in the weather on my old truck. The new Taco has a completely enclosed bed and it stays dry.

But that HF peice of junk isn't worth it to me. I am seriously Anti Chinese tools as many on TN know. America still makes the best tools.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:37 AM   #10
She's Kickass!

Well, I figured out the problem. There are what I assume are drain slots in the track. It just so happens that these slots are the same length as the square head of the divider bolts. As I slide them along the track, they get stuck in these slots. It's hard to describe, but because of the design of the divider, it's just luck that allows you to get it out of the slot. A huge pain in the a@#!!

So, it looks like the bolt needs to be rectangular or the slots need to be filled in.

I'm posting pictures, but I can't figure out how to post a large quality image like some do.

Thanks,
GA
Attached Thumbnails
Cargo divider-drainslot.jpg   Cargo divider-bolt.jpg   Cargo divider-boltstuck.jpg   Cargo divider-dividerend.jpg  
Old 12-15-2007, 11:29 AM   #11
Solo Member
kilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Kilo Battery 3rd Battalion 11th Marines 1st Marine Division
kilo's Tacoma Gallery
Your pics are fine. I wouldn't fill in the slots. If it's that much of a problem I would have someone tac-weld a little on the bolts so they don't fall in. That's sort of what I did to a few of my cleats. I did it to be able to crank down on the cleats and get a good tight fit. I have customized my own attachments for the rail system and need the support.

Old 12-15-2007, 07:28 PM   #12
gsm will become famous soon enough

gsm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavonder View Post
Well, I figured out the problem. There are what I assume are drain slots in the track. It just so happens that these slots are the same length as the square head of the divider bolts. As I slide them along the track, they get stuck in these slots. It's hard to describe, but because of the design of the divider, it's just luck that allows you to get it out of the slot. A huge pain in the a@#!!

So, it looks like the bolt needs to be rectangular or the slots need to be filled in.

I'm posting pictures, but I can't figure out how to post a large quality image like some do.

Thanks,
GA
An easier solution would be to possibly take a piece of pvc pipe that the bolt threads can fit in to and use as a bushing. Cut the pvc pipe to about 1/4 inch or so and slide it over the bolt and re-attach it to your divider. This way the smaller diameter of the threaded area of the bolt will rest inside the pvc bushing allowing it to glide easily and keep the bolt more centered in the track - possibly keeping the bolt head from falling into the drainage holes and hanging up.

Hope this helps, if not you won't be out but a little pocket change for the pvc and 15 minutes.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:30 PM   #13
She's Kickass!

Hey, two great ideas! I'm going to try the pvc one first (because it's cheap). It also might make them move smoother anyway. If that fails, I'll go with welding or finding an alternative bolt.

Thanks again every one,

GA
Old 12-16-2007, 07:43 PM   #14
gsm will become famous soon enough

gsm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavonder View Post
Hey, two great ideas! I'm going to try the pvc one first (because it's cheap). It also might make them move smoother anyway. If that fails, I'll go with welding or finding an alternative bolt.

Thanks again every one,

GA
Let us know how it turns out. I am planning on purchasing a divider myself down the line. Just too much going on with the holidays and can only work on one mod/add-on at a time (OEM Cruise in the mail!! )

Happy Holidays