1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cargo divider

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by gavonder, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Dec 13, 2007 at 1:25 PM
    gavonder

gavonder [OP] She's Kickass!

Member:
    Ct
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport Access Cab
    Sunroof, Leer Cap w/ Thule rack, Factory Running Boards, Fog Light Mod, Hood Struts, Scangauge, w/homemade mirror mount, AC/Defrost mod, Rear Spring TSB, TRD Center Caps
    Hello, Everyone,

I just purchased a 2008 Tacoma and I bought the bed cargo divider. It seems like it is impossible to slide it along the rails. Even if I can get it to move, I have to walk around to each side to slide it.

Before I return it, I just wanted to ask if anyone else has this problem or a solution.

Thanks,

GA

2. Dec 13, 2007 at 1:40 PM
    sawdust

sawdust Unapologetic Texan

Member:
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad Radiant Red V6 Auto DC
    Homelink mirror, tailgate lock, 2ndary air filter removal, Access LE tonneau, Bugflector II, hitch-based bed extender, vent visors, suspension TSB, stall mat
    I got one of those same cargo bars right after Thanksgiving. I wouldn't call them advanced engineering or anything, and they're somewhat time consuming to set to the proper length, but for $6 the price is right.

3. Dec 13, 2007 at 3:00 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    Sounds good to me :D

4. Dec 13, 2007 at 5:19 PM
    squad314

squad314 Thinks he's Steve McQueen

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Into the mystic....(foggy Saint John, NB)
    Vehicle:
    2018 TrD Sport Upgrade
    "Hello Kitty" steering wheel cover.
    GA,
    I think the divider works the same way as my factory cargo bars.I find the easiest way to move them back and forth on the rails is to get in the back of the truck and loosen the lock wheels on the cleats.I find that if I depress both wheels with my thumbs and grab the cleats,the bar will slide freely back and forth on the rail.It is important to move both sides at the same time or the bar/divider will kitty corner and jam.After a bit of practice it has gotten much simpler and quicker......Try this and see if it works for you.

5. Dec 13, 2007 at 5:48 PM
    gavonder

Member:
    Ct
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport Access Cab
    Sunroof, Leer Cap w/ Thule rack, Factory Running Boards, Fog Light Mod, Hood Struts, Scangauge, w/homemade mirror mount, AC/Defrost mod, Rear Spring TSB, TRD Center Caps
    Thanks, everyone for the alternatives. I'll check them out.

Squad314,

Are the cleats on the bars spring loaded like the tie down cleats that come on the track? The way you describe them, it sounds like it. That would have been a better design, but the divider just has square headed bolts, with the thumb wheels, that fit in the track. It seems that when I loosen them, the square head turns inside the track, so they get stuck in the notches in the track.

When I get some time (and daylight - it's dark early here), I will remove them and look closer.

I just thought someone else may have had the same trouble.

Thanks very much,

GA

6. Dec 13, 2007 at 6:00 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    oh...and to the carolina guys...there is a harbor freight warehouse/store on 95...i pass it all the time, just cant remember where...i think its outside of florence

7. Dec 14, 2007 at 5:51 AM
    squad314

squad314 Thinks he's Steve McQueen

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Into the mystic....(foggy Saint John, NB)
    Vehicle:
    2018 TrD Sport Upgrade
    "Hello Kitty" steering wheel cover.
    GA,

I'm sorry,I just took a closer look and I think our two systems are different....My bars actually use the factory cleats with the spring loaded thumbwheel....

[​IMG]

Would being in the back of the truck and trying to move both sides of yours help at all?

8. Dec 14, 2007 at 8:30 PM
    gavonder

Member:
    Ct
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport Access Cab
    It does help to be in the bed to reach both at the same time, but I have a cap on my truck - makes it a little hard.

I'm starting to think that the square head bolts that slide into the track are the wrong size because, like I said, they seem to be spinning and getting caught in the track notches.

I will look at them tomorrow, and take a picture.

Thanks,
    GA

Oh, I forgot - the divider does not use the existing cleats like your bars. It just uses the square head bolts.

9. Dec 15, 2007 at 3:57 AM
    Viper-2

Viper-2 Secret Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods

Yeah that one is good. But I have one 5 minutes from my house and it has the same stuff.

As for the cargo bars, they are seriously cheap crap that broke on me after a few months. I have always used cargo bars. I got a ratchet type from JC Whitney and now a screw one from Autoanything (free with Lund tonneua cover) which are great.

But in all fairness the ratchet one was out in the weather on my old truck. The new Taco has a completely enclosed bed and it stays dry.

But that HF peice of junk isn't worth it to me. I am seriously Anti Chinese tools as many on TN know. America still makes the best tools.

[​IMG]

10. Dec 15, 2007 at 8:37 AM
    gavonder

Member:
    Ct
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport Access Cab
    Well, I figured out the problem. There are what I assume are drain slots in the track. It just so happens that these slots are the same length as the square head of the divider bolts. As I slide them along the track, they get stuck in these slots. It's hard to describe, but because of the design of the divider, it's just luck that allows you to get it out of the slot. A huge pain in the a@#!!

So, it looks like the bolt needs to be rectangular or the slots need to be filled in.

I'm posting pictures, but I can't figure out how to post a large quality image like some do.

Thanks,
    GA

drainslot.jpg
    bolt.jpg
    boltstuck.jpg
    dividerend.jpg

11. Dec 15, 2007 at 11:29 AM
    kilo

kilo Solo Member

Member:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2007 Dbl cab long bed TRD Sport
    custom sliders, 3" Old Man Emu lift, onboard air, custom surf-rod mount, custom bed rack, ARB bumper, Budbuilt fuel tank skid-plate
    Your pics are fine. I wouldn't fill in the slots. If it's that much of a problem I would have someone tac-weld a little on the bolts so they don't fall in. That's sort of what I did to a few of my cleats. I did it to be able to crank down on the cleats and get a good tight fit. I have customized my own attachments for the rail system and need the support.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Dec 15, 2007 at 7:28 PM
    gsm

gsm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Regular Cab, 2.7L, Impulse Red Pearl
    DIY OEM Fog Lights on anytime, DIY OEM Cruise Control, Removed 2ndary Air Filter, Rear Speakers Mod, Traction Bar/Helper Spring Mod, Red Brake Drums and Rotors, Stainless Steel Exhaust Tip, Door Sill Protectors, Taco Bed Mat, Custom Front Mud Flaps (Mudguards), TRD Bucket Seats (pending)
    An easier solution would be to possibly take a piece of pvc pipe that the bolt threads can fit in to and use as a bushing. Cut the pvc pipe to about 1/4 inch or so and slide it over the bolt and re-attach it to your divider. This way the smaller diameter of the threaded area of the bolt will rest inside the pvc bushing allowing it to glide easily and keep the bolt more centered in the track - possibly keeping the bolt head from falling into the drainage holes and hanging up.

Hope this helps, if not you won't be out but a little pocket change for the pvc and 15 minutes.

13. Dec 16, 2007 at 6:30 PM
    gavonder

Member:
    Ct
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport Access Cab
    Hey, two great ideas! I'm going to try the pvc one first (because it's cheap). It also might make them move smoother anyway. If that fails, I'll go with welding or finding an alternative bolt.

Thanks again every one,

GA

14. Dec 16, 2007 at 7:43 PM
    gsm

gsm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Regular Cab, 2.7L, Impulse Red Pearl
    DIY OEM Fog Lights on anytime, DIY OEM Cruise Control, Removed 2ndary Air Filter, Rear Speakers Mod, Traction Bar/Helper Spring Mod, Red Brake Drums and Rotors, Stainless Steel Exhaust Tip, Door Sill Protectors, Taco Bed Mat, Custom Front Mud Flaps (Mudguards), TRD Bucket Seats (pending)
    Let us know how it turns out. I am planning on purchasing a divider myself down the line. Just too much going on with the holidays and can only work on one mod/add-on at a time (OEM Cruise in the mail!! :D )

Happy Holidays :drunk:

Products Discussed in

To Top