Tonneau (Soft) 649 22.36%
Naked 909 31.32%
Other: Please write in 64 2.21%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2902. You may not vote on this poll

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-11-2013, 04:53 PM   #461
dboz is on a distinguished road
dboz's Tacoma Gallery
Well, having used all over the years, I decided to go roll up tonneau. Mainly for price. I can keep light stuff under to keep it from blowing around. Keeps the snow and ice from clanking around. Rolls up and out of the way for large items.

Mainly for price this time though. Thought about naked but I haul a lot of paper trash and it is too tough to keep in the bed on the highway without a net or cover.

Installing my Access Literider as soon as the weather breaks. $280.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:30 AM   #462
Edward Newgate is on a distinguished road
Name: RJ
Edward Newgate's Tacoma Gallery
Diamondback cover questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridaw View Post
I still love my diamond back cover. I must be the only taco on here running a diamond back. Shame since I have yet to find another cover as tough and versatile for my needs here in SoCal. I know it isn't for everyone but I've had people stop me all over the country and ask who makes it.

The cover is MADE IN THE USA specifically for the Tacoma. It easily supports 400 pounds so I stand on top of the thing to re-fill the tank with my scepter cans. I stand on there with my son + gear when we load the basket on top. I use it as a work platform. I am considering installing tie-down cleats and some day maybe rack hardware directly to the panels.

Both panels lock and have dual gas pistons to lift and keep them open. I can fold back the front or rear panel so they lay flat, remove in seconds, or strap down. I have direct access to anything I need in the front of the bed while more than half the bed remains dry/secure. The center panel has dual rain channels along the hinges, the rest of the water just runs over the edge of the cover and off the truck. The compression seal/weather strips can easily be replaced when the time comes and won't cost much. It keeps the bed very dry and it keeps out the dust and empty soda cans.

One person can remove all three panels in a matter of minutes. The front and rear without any tools in seconds, the middle with a socket wrench and a couple minutes. If I need to remove the entire cover it stores more easily than many out there and I can do it faster than most. I haven't seen anything else that compares. There are different panel configurations available and they have heavier duty and lighter duty covers than my SE.

Photo I posted earlier in this thread with the panels open:

I've had a few guys ask questions about the cover so here are a few more shots I posted.

I keep this action packer padlocked to the D-rings I installed in the bed. It fits perfectly and removes easily.

This is what it looks like with one of the panels folded back flat.
I'm close to pulling the trigger on this cover but have a few questions:

Are you still able to use the deck rail system with the cover on? I want to use the oem cargo divider as well.
Do you have a bed extender? Wondering if the bed extender can flip in and out of the bed with the rear cover folded over.
Thanks!
Old 03-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #463
Hippynotions is on a distinguished road
Hippynotions's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Untamed_SS View Post
I like naked the best. Cause when I go eat, I can throw all my trash in the back of the truck through the rear sliding glass. And just clean it up later. Sounds like laziness, but I think its creativity. Better in my bed than in my passenger floor.

Plus it just looks better too. Caps look like SUV's and tonneaus just look weird. Especially hard ones.

But if you need it to serve a purpose, then its all good. But not for me.
LOL
Old 03-08-2013, 02:16 PM   #464
Night is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Night's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought a new cover from Pace Edwards Full metal jackrabbit
Attached Thumbnails
Cap, Tonneau, or Naked-img_00000032.jpg  
Old 03-08-2013, 02:55 PM   #465
DesertSand has a spectacular aura aboutDesertSand has a spectacular aura about

Coast Guard:
DesertSand's Tacoma Gallery
Heres a pic of an Access LiteRider. Just installed.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #466
austinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud of

Name: Austin
austinstaco's Tacoma Gallery
I just ordered a Ranch Sierra when it gets here in a couple of weeks I will put up some pics
Old 03-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #467
Lyrch is on a distinguished road
Air Force: aircraft maintnance
Name: Christopher
Lyrch's Tacoma Gallery
I love my BakFlip HD Trifold
Old 03-24-2013, 11:35 PM   #468
steeds is on a distinguished road

Name: ryan
steeds's Tacoma Gallery
Old 03-25-2013, 08:44 AM   #469
Jack of all trades, Master of non!
Kylec82 is on a distinguished road

Name: Kyle
Kylec82's Tacoma Gallery
Just installed a Bak Roll-x on my taco and I love it. My last taco was naked with a toolbox, witch was ok till i had something just big enough it wouldn't fit in the toolbox
Old 04-05-2013, 07:51 AM   #471
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
teneighty's Tacoma Gallery
I don't have anything right now. I would like a cap for the winter though.. I use the inno rack and Thule ski box now. I like the looks of the hard caps and tonneau's.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:09 PM   #472
gupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
gupster88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeds View Post
Nice looking truck. Is that an extang?
Old 04-05-2013, 06:12 PM   #473
CaptQuinn is on a distinguished road

Name: Quinn
CaptQuinn's Tacoma Gallery

My new SnugTop Rebel. So happy to have a canopy again!
Old 04-08-2013, 08:21 AM   #474
Edward Newgate is on a distinguished road
Name: RJ
Edward Newgate's Tacoma Gallery
Diamondback SE cover with line-x coating:

Old 04-08-2013, 06:55 PM   #475
austinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud of

Name: Austin
austinstaco's Tacoma Gallery
Ranch Sierra with pet screens and fold down front window

Old 04-30-2013, 10:34 AM   #476
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
snugtop rebel with petscreens as well.

Untitled by beavis0076, on Flickr

Untitled by beavis0076, on Flickr
Old 04-30-2013, 03:34 PM   #477
Ian S is on a distinguished road

Ian S's Tacoma Gallery
Toolbox plus tonneau

Toolbox with a soft roll up tonneau. I had a retractable tonneau for years on my last truck. It always bugged me that so much space was lost to the retractable's storage box.

So I spent some time looking for a combination option. I settled with a standard toolbox and the Extang Express toolbox tonneau. I haven't seen this option covered often, but it's been a great balance for securing large items in the bed and keeping tools and gear from accumulating in the back of the cab.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:25 PM   #478
polox40 is on a distinguished road
polox40's Tacoma Gallery
I bought this hardtop on kijiji for 500$, it's a Jason, it was 5 months old and the guy was trading his xrunner in. He paid 1200$ for it I got the receipt.

I really wanted a trifold aluminum but so far I like it.

It's got a crease in it that matches the front hood scoop.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:05 PM   #479
polox40 is on a distinguished road
polox40's Tacoma Gallery
Austintaco you should get the Toyota bed mat, it's made of soft rubber nothing slides on it, I made a hard stop and has a case of beer on it and it flipped over the long end!! lol

It's really worth it

http://trdparts4u.toyotaofdallas.com...dproduct=29594

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinstaco View Post
Ranch Sierra with pet screens and fold down front window

Old 06-02-2013, 01:19 PM   #480
SLOwag is on a distinguished road

SLOwag's Tacoma Gallery
One year review of Diamond Back 270

Check my initial posts #410 and 415. Here is a review after one year of use.

I chose the cover instead of a cab high shell because I wanted to try something different after having shells on my previous trucks. I was forcing myself to try to carry less and keep a lower profile.
I still like the cover with three doors instead of two, it makes it easier to get to items in the center of the bed. I would get the line-x again just to have it applied at the factory. I mainly got it to reduce glare and thought it would look better than spray paint. You could probably get it done at your local provider much cheaper.

The west coast rep for Diamond Back was pretty good during the purchase phase and even when some issues came up with my installation. To date the main issues that I've had with my cover have not been deal-killers but I also didn't anticipate them. I had two locks fail but they were promptly replaced by Diamond Back, no questions asked. The other issue which requires more care and maintenance is maintaining a good seal around the bed rails to keep out rain. It requires some readjustment periodically as the seals compress over time.

The Rotopax cans that I mounted work great, but I have to take them off to re-fuel. If they were mounted upright, I could use my super siphon and leave them on the truck. The pistons are pretty stout and hold up the doors when the cans are full, you could always upgrade to a heavier piston if the weight was too much.

It is an expensive cover but combined with a locking tailgate, nobody can see my stuff and it meets my needs. I did talk to a few fabricators to see if they could make what I wanted, but in the end I opted for factory warranty and a product shipped to my local trucking company within a week.

Products Discussed in this Thread