Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

replacement cv boots

Old 07-21-2009, 04:22 AM   #1
stanman9 will become famous soon enough
stanman9's Tacoma Gallery
replacement cv boots

I tore my Right side inner and outer boots. How hard are these to replace and what kind should I replace them with???
Old 07-21-2009, 09:06 AM   #3
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
I think it is easier to replace the front axle.

I don't think you can stretch a new boot over the axle. Therefore, you would have to take apart the CV.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:20 AM   #5
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Buy the CV boot kit from Toyota. Comes with new boots, clamps, grease, etc.

Replacement is easy but a freaking mess.

. To remove the axle, unbolt the 35mm axle nut and the spindle.
. Dead-blow hammer helps knock the axle out of the spindle at this point.
. Use a pry-bar to pop the axle out of the front differential. Drain the front differential fluid first and make sure you refill when you're done reinstalling everything.
. Cut the boot on the inner CV joint and pull all that stuff apart
. Remove the C-clip holding the tripod in place at the inner end of the axle and use a pulley puller to remove the tripod from the axle.
. The outer CV boot can now be removed either by cutting or by sliding it down the axle and off the inner end.
. Tape the threads on the inner end of the axle so you don't damage the new boots when you slide them on.
. Grease up the outer CV and slide the new boot onto the axle from the inner end. .Tighten up the clamps once everything is in place and you've bumped any air from inside the boot.
. Slide the inner boot onto the axle.
. Remove the tape and reinstall the tripod.
. Install the new c-clip supplied in the Toyota kit.
. Grease stuff up and reinsert the tripod into the inner CV cup.
. Burp the inner boot and tighten up the clamps.
. Slide the axle into the differential. I used a pry bar on the ridges of the inner CV cup and a dead-blow hammer to knock the axle back into the diff. It'll seat itself when it's in far enough.
. Reassemble the spindle end of things.
. Change your clothes. You're covered in grease.

It should only take you about 2 hours per side during your learning curve. Probably an hour once you have the process down and all the tools handy.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:53 AM   #6
Sapper26 is on a distinguished road

Army: Combat Engineer...Essayons!!
Name: Will
Sapper26's Tacoma Gallery
So here is a little update. I just finished pulling out the driver side front axle on my 2010 double cab and have a few comments to make about the process. First, you don't need to remove the brakes and wheel hub assembly to get the axle out. Once you pull the lower ball joint and steering there is more than enough room to pull the axle. You may have to tap on the end of the axle with a hammer to get it free, just be careful not to damage the splines.
Next, to get the axle out of the front diff. you do not need a slide hammer. You can turn the axle and use a long pry bar to pop out the axle.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:57 AM   #7
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper26 View Post
*snip*
You may have to tap on the end of the axle with a hammer to get it free, just be careful not to damage the splines.
Next, to get the axle out of the front diff. you do not need a slide hammer. You can turn the axle and use a long pry bar to pop out the axle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
*snip*
. Dead-blow hammer helps knock the axle out of the spindle at this point.
. Use a pry-bar to pop the axle out of the front differential.
*snip*
Yup.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:49 AM   #8
4cyltacoma will become famous soon enough4cyltacoma will become famous soon enough

Name: Reagan
4cyltacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Any pictures for the work u did??
Old 11-12-2010, 12:05 PM   #9
Mall Crawler
MrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Dean'o
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
Because pictures and video work better for me.

Video on how to disassemble
Old 11-12-2010, 05:40 PM   #11
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by george3 View Post
I haven't done the in many years but I seem to remember a split CV boot that you could just put on with some radiator hose clamps and sealant No need to remove axle. Got it at the local auto parts store.

Those are a waste of money. You'll end up making a mess and ruining the axle. They work ok if you need it in a pinch. But for a permanent fix do it right.

I've seen guys use them on honda's and acura's and within 3 months are replacing them again. Keep in mind those cars don't have nearly as much cv angle as our trucks do.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:46 PM   #12
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonTacoma View Post
Those are a waste of money. You'll end up making a mess and ruining the axle. They work ok if you need it in a pinch. But for a permanent fix do it right.

I've seen guys use them on honda's and acura's and within 3 months are replacing them again. Keep in mind those cars don't have nearly as much cv angle as our trucks do.
I'm sure you are right. Like I said it's been years and I don't even remember how it lasted only that it was a easy quick solution.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:25 PM   #13
tictoc is on a distinguished road

tictoc's Tacoma Gallery
hey guys im changing mine and i have a few questions if i may........in the kit from toyota i have 4 pouches of grease two brownish colored 1 big 1 small and 2 blacks big n small??? question is wut goes where?? and my other question is is it a must so get new oil seals?
Old 05-04-2011, 03:47 PM   #14

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't mix 'em.

I imagine you'll figure out which grease goes where when you pull apart your axles based on what you find in the existing boots. I'd hope Toyota used the same grease at the factory as they provide through the dealerships.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:03 PM   #17
-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
-TRDMAN-'s Tacoma Gallery
Anybody know if I will need to add and or replace diff. Fluid after replacing the axle?? Thanks!
Old 04-27-2014, 01:35 AM   #19
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrimm View Post
Because pictures and video work better for me.

Video on how to disassemble
Great find - I usually search Youtube. Do you find a lot of good stuff on Vimeo ? I searched it for Tacoma brakes just 2 C what would come up - nothing. Thanks.