Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Custom Shift Knob

Old 07-21-2009, 05:05 PM   #1
Slypted is a jewel in the roughSlypted is a jewel in the roughSlypted is a jewel in the rough

Air Force:
Name: Frank
Slypted's Tacoma Gallery
Custom Shift Knob

So I was bored the other night and thought hey I'll make a shift knob. It's not finished yet, but I figured I'd put some pics up and get some feedback in case you all some good ideas on what else to do to it. My plans now are to modify the bottom (maybe turn it down some and/or shorten it) and paint the grooves black. I'm still not sure if I like the rough sanded look or if I want to polish it. I might polish it tonight then post some pics tomorrow to see what you all think.

It still kinda looks too long to me. I think if I turn the bottom diameter down some it will make it look better. Sorry for the pic quality, my phone kinda sucks.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:08 PM   #2
Bourbon
EquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
EquinsuOcha's Tacoma Gallery
I like it! I like the rough sanded look, but I also think that the strips should be black.

And

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slypted View Post
It still kinda looks too long to me.
That's what she said.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:11 PM   #3
Slypted is a jewel in the roughSlypted is a jewel in the roughSlypted is a jewel in the rough

Air Force:
Slypted's Tacoma Gallery
Damn I set myself up for that one.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:24 PM   #5
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
damn you both..im jealous
Old 07-21-2009, 06:24 PM   #6

Air Force:
Slypted's Tacoma Gallery
Nice! I like that toku. I'm gonna mess around with the one I got for now, see what I can come up with for it. I might try to come up with something 2 piece for the next one.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:47 PM   #7
Banned
bermise will become famous soon enough
bermise's Tacoma Gallery
So when are you guys going to be selling a few of these???
Old 07-21-2009, 07:50 PM   #8
Coupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coupe's Tacoma Gallery
This is mine. This is on a X-Runner. 2 1/4" diameter.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:50 PM   #9
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bermise View Post
So when are you guys going to be selling a few of these???
I'd buy that top one in a second!!!
Old 07-21-2009, 08:01 PM   #10
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good. Good job
Old 07-21-2009, 08:06 PM   #11
Screw your MPG's
jacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
jacob_wood's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jacob_wood
How exactly is it made? And out of what?
Old 07-21-2009, 08:15 PM   #12
Griztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to behold
Griztaco's Tacoma Gallery
I say no paint, I like the look of it now....all metal, tough.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:18 PM   #13
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupe View Post
This is mine. This is on a X-Runner. 2 1/4" diameter.

That is beautiful!!!
Old 07-21-2009, 08:33 PM   #14
Banned
bermise will become famous soon enough
bermise's Tacoma Gallery
Sell me a billet one!
Old 07-21-2009, 11:44 PM   #15

Air Force:
Slypted's Tacoma Gallery
Mine is made out of 6061 T6 aluminum round stock. I just cut a chunk off and threw it in the lathe and started cutting. I actually had to make it 2 piece but you really cant tell. I had to cut it in half because I didnt have a tap long enough to reach all the way inside. Then I just turned a shoulder on one end and bored out a hole on the other and pressed it back together. I just got done modifying it some more. I cut the bottom down some and put another shoulder on it. It looks and feels much better to me now. I'll put up some more pics when I get home in the morning.

PS: I took a black paint marker and painted the grooves black. It looked ok, but I liked the rough full sanded look better so I sanded the paint back off.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:48 PM   #16
HSG100 is on a distinguished road

HSG100's Tacoma Gallery
Ha nice.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:54 PM   #17
Screw your MPG's
jacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
jacob_wood's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jacob_wood
Ahh got it thats cool wouldn't mind getting one for myself.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:18 AM   #18
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
nice job guys! Now you've made me want to make one of my own. I'll have to add this to the list of things to do once I get back to college in the fall. My college has a great machining shop for the students. I also have another idea of a detail i'd like to add to mine when i make one(but im not gonna tell what it is)..... i think its a little too much for me to add it so I may have to enlist the help of another student who's awesome on the CNC mills.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:04 AM   #19

Air Force:
Slypted's Tacoma Gallery
We got some CNC machines here too. I wish I had my own shop, I'd be mass producing all kinds of stuff and selling it. I thought about putting my shift knob in the CNC mill and doing some writing or a logo or something of some sorts, but I'm too lazy to set it all up and couldn't really decide on what exactly to put on it anyway.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:30 AM   #20
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good man.