Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Long Haul Comfort?

Old 12-14-2007, 09:23 PM   #1
Andy42 is on a distinguished road
Andy42's Tacoma Gallery
Long Haul Comfort?

Another newbie question for you seasoned Taco owners!

When I have time to play I don't like dawdling to get where I want to go. So I end up doing a lot of long haul driving, 600-800 miles per day. I am wondering how comfortable a Tacoma is for this kind of haul. They seem OK on the few test drives I've had, but then almost everything does. There's nothing like a few hours behind the wheel to tell the real story. Alas, no dealer seems to want to let me test drive a Taco for that long! I'm in my mid-50s and can't quite take some of the body abuse I used to handle, and I'm a little concerned because of the some of the comments I've read in CR about seating position and ride comfort. Then again, that's CR ...

So I take it to the guys that ought to know. Are there any options that will enhance the comfort of the vehicle? Seat options? Does the TRD option degrade the ride? Or help it out?

Andy
Old 12-14-2007, 09:35 PM   #2
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
I can tell you that the TRD Sport seats are generally considered to be more comfortable, not to mention that the Sport suspension is designed for more on road rather than off road (hence the TRD Off Road version).

I'll put it this way: I'm 36 and had back surgery two years ago (herniated disc) and I've driven over 7 hours in it to Orlando and didn't have a problem. I generally don't have back problems anymore but a drive like that used to just about kill me.
Old 12-15-2007, 03:52 AM   #3
Secret Agent
Viper-2 will become famous soon enough
Viper-2's Tacoma Gallery
I've heard that about the TRD also but I only have test drive experience with it.

I have the SR5 seats Andy and they have served me well and I see no problem with long haul comfort that I've done. I travel 840 miles each way to NY 3 times per year and so far I've done 2 trips in it with absolutely no complaints.
Old 12-15-2007, 04:40 AM   #4
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chicky Baby
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
Seat comfort is a personal thing/opinion. It may or may not work for you. I hated my seats too but have grown into it now however I dont do the long hauls you intend to. I suggest you rent/borrow a Taco and check it out on a long haul. You dealer may be able to help locate a loaner for you.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:25 PM   #5
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
My TRD OR came with the Sport seats w/lumbar support. I probably would not have ordered them or even thought about them, but they are the most comfortable seats I have (including other car, house, office, etc)! After a long stressful day it was soooo nice to get in the truck, settle in and drive home. Took so much pressure off my back! I have lower back pain often, and cramp up after driving long distances (900 miles between NY and SC several times in my Corolla) so bad I was ready to go postal! Combine that with the fact I have CC on this truck means I can really relax and move around a little on those long trips. I haven't done anything more than a couple hours/200 miles so far, but no signs of driver fatigue on those trips.

So just get sport seats and cruise on whatever truck you decide to get!
Old 12-15-2007, 02:13 PM   #6
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
Two years ago I drove from Portland Oregon to Myrtle Beach S.C. and had it not been for the comfort of the Taco seats I might have taken my own life. I failed to mention that we did that trip in 4.5 days, one of the days(weather related) was 17 hours in the saddle, all I can say is that I am here to tell about it.
Old 12-15-2007, 04:49 PM   #7
Andy42 is on a distinguished road
Andy42's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks everyone. Sounds like the Taco can be pretty comfy for long trips and the Sport seats would be well worth it. I assumed cruise control as a given but after spending some time this afternoon with the Toyota "build your own" configurator I am dismayed it's kind of hard to get. In fact on a 4x4 you have to get the V6 engine to be able to specify an options package that includes cruise control; ditto the TRD option that includes the Sports seats... and here I am interested in a 4x4 with the I4 engine! There's probably not any way to get the Sports seats with an I4 but surely the dealers can add the cruise control to an I4 Taco?
Old 12-15-2007, 05:50 PM   #8
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy42 View Post
Thanks everyone. Sounds like the Taco can be pretty comfy for long trips and the Sport seats would be well worth it. I assumed cruise control as a given but after spending some time this afternoon with the Toyota "build your own" configurator I am dismayed it's kind of hard to get. In fact on a 4x4 you have to get the V6 engine to be able to specify an options package that includes cruise control; ditto the TRD option that includes the Sports seats... and here I am interested in a 4x4 with the I4 engine! There's probably not any way to get the Sports seats with an I4 but surely the dealers can add the cruise control to an I4 Taco?
OEM cruise control install link

As for the seats, I have never sat in, much less driven in the sr5 seats on the gen 2 trucks, I absolutely LOVE my sport seats in this truck, (multiple 500 mile days) but I had the standard bucket seat option in my 04 sr5, and I was plenty comfortable in those too. Perhaps you can find a wrecked sport or off road truck in a local junkyard and pick up the seats from that, but even if you can't you can have cruise controll, and I suspect that the standard SR5 seats will be plenty comfortable as well.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:03 PM   #9
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

There's an OEM CC mod DIY over on toyotanation.com you could always do later on I suppose. I wanted a double cab that only comes in the v6 model so I didn't really care. I wasn't trying to get sport seats, leather wraps, 6 disc, or CC on mine. The dealer just happened to have 2 indigo ink's with TRD OR, 4wd, locker, and tow package in stock that had all those options already! One in auto, 1 6spd so I just took the 6spd after glancing over the included options to make sure they ones I wanted were there. I've NEVER had a dealership have cars in stock with the options I want AND the color I wanted! I was so shocked that I just said "ok, get it."

Edit:
Just noticed there's a CC mod write up here to! heh
Old 12-16-2007, 06:46 AM   #10
Old Goat
Don G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 1st MAW  MAG12  VMA-251,  (1953)
Don G's Tacoma Gallery
Well Andy here's my story! !! I have not been on any long trips but every time I get in my TRD Sport I don't want to get out! ! !! I have had 5 major back surgerys and the Sport seats are really comfortable! !!! I have been thinking of taking one out and setting in it to watch TV

Don G
Old 12-16-2007, 07:35 AM   #11
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Wow Don G ! now that's an endorsement. What happen to you to have 5 surgerys ?
Old 12-16-2007, 07:41 AM   #12
Devout Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don G View Post
I have been thinking of taking one out and setting in it to watch TV

Don G
Glad I'm not the only one that was thinking about that.... heh I was thinking about hitting some junk yards for them and making a couch out of 2-3 of 'em!
Old 12-16-2007, 08:21 AM   #13
Yeah
willard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud of
Name: Luke
willard417's Tacoma Gallery
i'll sell you my 4 banger taco. it has cc and its real comfy
Old 12-16-2007, 08:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by willard417 View Post
i'll sell you my 4 banger taco. it has cc and its real comfy
Getting any snow ? I am getting it pretty good as of this writing.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:56 AM   #15
Yeah
willard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud of
Name: Luke
willard417's Tacoma Gallery
yeah, we got hit pretty hard last night and they're saying 5 more inches tonight. sucks though because the back peice to my tonneau fell off last night and i back tracked but i'm sure its burried in a mound somewhere
Old 12-16-2007, 08:59 AM   #16
Tacoma World Ring Leader
klown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

klown's Tacoma Gallery
Bottom line, it's still a truck. And it just depends on how sensitive you are to comfort. Tacos are not going to be in the same comfort level as a Cadillac or Lincoln for long range driving. Good luck to you.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:58 AM   #17
PatheticJoe will become famous soon enough

PatheticJoe's Tacoma Gallery
Here are my 2 cents. Drove from CA to Maine and back the long way in 2 weeks and loved the ride in the Tacoma Sport. All total it was just shy of 9000 miles with a few 18 hour days of driving. Got a 2000 mile trip to CO and back starting next weekend and I'm actually looking forward to another nice comfy ride.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:25 AM   #18
Old Goat
Don G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Don G's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by concrete jedi View Post
Wow Don G ! now that's an endorsement. What happen to you to have 5 surgerys ?
A life time of heavy construction work and old age done did me in! !!!

Don G
Old 12-16-2007, 11:29 AM   #19
Old Goat
Don G's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by piercedtiger View Post
Glad I'm not the only one that was thinking about that.... heh I was thinking about hitting some junk yards for them and making a couch out of 2-3 of 'em!
Right on! ! ! A 3 section couch out of them babys would be just right! !! But they would be a bugger to take a nap on

Don G
Old 12-16-2007, 12:30 PM   #20
Devout Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don G View Post
Right on! ! ! A 3 section couch out of them babys would be just right! !! But they would be a bugger to take a nap on

Don G

hmmmm..... a fellow NY'er....

I have a welder and scrap angle iron laying around.... Maybe we need to take a trip to Don's or Gary's and embark on this new furniture project!