1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Spray painting the bed?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Johnson8537, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Dec 18, 2007 at 12:35 PM
    A1CGuches

A1CGuches Oregon Alliance: Founder

Member:
    DMAFB, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    01 Taco
    Custom snorkel/intake, 6" lift, 35X12.5 mt's, flowmaster 40 seriers, performance clutch, custom skid plate, grille, everything is black on green, rotrex supercharger, 7th injector kit, urd short throw shifter, thorely header, kks speed limit defender...and more to come
    lol yeah i understand what you are saying now, i agree with you its a truck, i mean its not like people driving by it can see inside the bed anyway.

Yeah thats all the jeep is for.

2. Dec 18, 2007 at 5:13 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    I don't get the bedliner need either.... I mean, all you have to do is look through a rear wheel well to see the bottom braces to know the whole bed looks like an injection molded part. :rolleyes:

To me, ALL bed liners are to keep the METAL beds from getting the paint scratched off and rusting. That's IMPOSSIBLE with these beds so why bother? You want to protect the bed AND keep things from sliding around? Buy the bed mat. Mine came with it from the factory and I occasionally take the damn thing out just to slide in heavy options because stoves, refrigerators, etc don't slide on rubber. You do a spray in liner for traction and you've just eliminated that option.

The rubber mat also provides some padding for the cargo or the bed if you just toss things in since it's 1/4" thick rubber with small round "feet" on the bottom. I imagine those squish slightly when weight is applied. That's a far better option than any line, IMO.

3. Dec 18, 2007 at 8:45 PM
    Johnson8537

Johnson8537 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD SPORT 4x4 Double Cab Long bed
    Revtek Leveling Kit with 1 1/2 block spacer in rear. 17" MotoMetal blacks on 32" tires. Access Lorado Tonneau - Bed mat Billet Grill Tinted Windows Pioneer 700BT with PAC steering wheel inerface. Wet Okole Seat Covers Front and back.
    I have a far better bed liner than the little 1/4 inch ones...
    Mine is 1 in thick compounded rubber. they are heavy and work well for protection.
    I would just like the rest of the bed to look like new.... or without the scratches...

here is a picture of the bedliner...

Tacoma 010 [800x600].jpg
    Tacoma 011 [800x600].jpg
    Tacoma 014 [800x600].jpg

4. Dec 19, 2007 at 6:05 AM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    Where did you get that? It's not the Toyota one so I'm assuming you made it or had it custom made? I wouldn't even know where to buy a piece of rubber that big.

Also, how much does that sucker weigh? I have the 1/4" one from toyota and that sucker is fairly heavy. I can't imagine a 3/4" (according to your tape measure). I would assume it's 3x's as heavy being 3x's as thick.

But then I guess you never take it out for anything.

5. Dec 19, 2007 at 8:12 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Johnson8537, that is a sweet bedliner you've got!

A reasonably cheap option (and one that I admittedly forgot about when I bought the Toyota mat) would be to go to a local tack shop and buy a rubber horse stall mat. Take that sucker home, cut it to size and shape, and you're set. They're about an inch thick and are made to withstand abuse from a 1000 pound animal with metal shoes that pees a lot.

I use them in the basement to protect the concrete from the free weights. Heck of a lot cheaper than gym floor mats and they're at least as tough. They'd hold up really well in the bed of any truck.

6. Dec 19, 2007 at 10:24 AM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    damn.... I didn't even think of horse mats! :rolleyes: Makes sense though as they'd have to pretty big for the pen or a trailer.

7. Dec 19, 2007 at 6:43 PM
    Johnson8537

Johnson8537 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD SPORT 4x4 Double Cab Long bed
    Revtek Leveling Kit with 1 1/2 block spacer in rear. 17" MotoMetal blacks on 32" tires. Access Lorado Tonneau - Bed mat Billet Grill Tinted Windows Pioneer 700BT with PAC steering wheel inerface. Wet Okole Seat Covers Front and back.
    I also never thought of the horse mats.... I just want the tailgate and rest of my bed protected... maybe i will do a plastic liner to set in and then set the rubber mat down...

I bought it at a local Company that melts down rubber tires and recycles them into a bedliner. (its actully at a plywood place.)
    You should see the Huge Machine that presses the soft rubber together before it hardens. It squeezes it into a nice hard mat.
    I would guess it weighs about 75-100 pounds.

they are fairly cheap for what they are.

53.00 for the Tacomas

Products Discussed in

To Top