Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Spray painting the bed?

Old 12-15-2007, 12:06 PM   #1
Johnson8537 is a name known to allJohnson8537 is a name known to allJohnson8537 is a name known to allJohnson8537 is a name known to allJohnson8537 is a name known to allJohnson8537 is a name known to all

Johnson8537's Tacoma Gallery
Spray painting the bed?

Has anyone tried to spray paint their bed? My truck bed has some scratches in it from normal wear and tear. I have a nice Bed mat installed to protect the bottom but just curious if a black spray paint would cover up the scratches?

I can always to a roll on kit but thougth i would ask first...
Old 12-15-2007, 01:55 PM   #2
Old Goat
Don G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 1st MAW  MAG12  VMA-251,  (1953)
Don G's Tacoma Gallery
My experience with Painting is that you CAN NOT hide a scratch with paint without first either removing the scratch or filling it with something first! !! Simply spraying over it will not do it.

Good Luck

Don G
Old 12-15-2007, 02:03 PM   #3
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
What ? cover up your battle scars ? pish posh !
Old 12-15-2007, 02:05 PM   #4
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chicky Baby
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson8537 View Post
My truck bed has some scratches in it from normal wear and tear....
Do you mean scratches on the metal or plastic bed cover? If you dont have have the plastic then you should investigate rubberized or epoxy paint for your bed.
Old 12-15-2007, 03:39 PM   #5
Johnson8537 is a name known to allJohnson8537 is a name known to allJohnson8537 is a name known to allJohnson8537 is a name known to allJohnson8537 is a name known to allJohnson8537 is a name known to all

I have the plastic covers.
I have some scratches that are not the same color (black) as the plastic.
they are gray or white... i thought a spray paint might cover some of it up and make it less noticable.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:27 AM   #6
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
......make it less noticable.
Try black shoe polish. It wont flake off like spray paint.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:59 PM   #8
Western Alliance-NorCal
victorye3 is on a distinguished road

victorye3's Tacoma Gallery
Just go with Rhino Lining or LineX bed spray on. Looks nice and very cheap. You wont find any more scratches after using those products last truck I had worked very well.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:59 AM   #9
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
I dont understand why you would want to cover the scratches in the bed, thats what you got a truck for. show 'em with pride, i know i do
Old 12-17-2007, 04:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
I dont understand why you would want to cover the scratches in the bed, thats what you got a truck for. show 'em with pride, i know i do
Call me Anal.... if you ever want to buy a vehicle... Mine alway look better and are in better shape after i get them and own them.

I just like things to look NICE AND NEW as long as possible.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:33 PM   #11
Born to Ride

Quote:
Call me Anal.... I just like things to look NICE AND NEW as long as possible.
Since you put it that way, here's something you can do after you paint your bed. Drop a sheet of plywood or OSB to fit between your wheel wells and to fit the length of the bed. Now when you load/unload heavy stuff, all you have to do it to pull the sheet of plywood out up to the tailgate and load your (lets say) patio stones on the wood and slide it in and do the same when unloading. It will protect you bed and nobody will know you are anal except us. Eat Steak!
Old 12-17-2007, 04:35 PM   #12
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
WTF........what's the point of a composite bed?

Sorry if that sounded a little irate, but I have been boggled over why all you people got bed liners on a composite bed. I can understand the mat to prevent sliding. someone enlighten me.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:47 PM   #13
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
yeah..i have the mat in the bottom of mine and it's all i'd need for now. the only thing i might change is if i ever got a fiberglass shell, i'd throw in a bedrug for camping.....bout it....and thats only when i went camping
Old 12-17-2007, 04:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy4Life View Post
WTF........what's the point of a composite bed?

Sorry if that sounded a little irate, but I have been boggled over why all you people got bed liners on a composite bed. I can understand the mat to prevent sliding. someone enlighten me.
IMHO i think the composite bed is WEAK... a 400 Spray in bedliner works much better and I think they hold up to normal wear and tear much better as well...

no problem for sounding irate... like i said before i am just anal and like the CLEAN LOOK... the plywood would be great when hauling anything that could scratch the bed but that why i bough the heavy duty liner... 1 in thick compounded rubber.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:41 AM   #15
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Has anyone tried to spray paint their bed? My truck bed has some scratches in it from normal wear and tear. I have a nice Bed mat installed to protect the bottom but just curious if a black spray paint would cover up the scratches?

I can always to a roll on kit but thougth i would ask first...
Regarding the roll-on route, I just finished putting Durabak on the floor and interior roof of my '06 and am impressed by the product. The application went smoothly and looks good for what it is. It's available is a bunch of U/V resistant colors so you even have options if you're not a fan of the black bed.

The most time-consuming part of the application was removing the foam glued to the floor and prepping the metal. Using it on the composite bed should require no prep work other than a thorough cleaning. It's also non-skid if you're looking for that.

My $.02.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:52 AM   #16
Jackass to the masses
cvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cvillechopper's Tacoma Gallery
OK. Here's your solution.

Start off with a propane torch and carefully melt the scratches. Try to get the material on the edges to fill in the crevases.

Now take a hand held orbital sander with about 100 grit paper to the entire bed. Step up to 200, 400, 600, 1200, 2000 each in turn. You now have the smoothest bed you've ever seen. Polish with a plastic polish for a glass-like appearance.

At this point you'll want to take a picture cause it won't stay that way without some effort but it'd be cool until you used the bed the first time. I bet you could find a drop-in liner to use when you needed to haul stuff. Just put some padding on the bottom so it doesn't scratch the polished surface.

Not my thing personally, but I bet it would look cool on a show truck.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:30 AM   #17
Oregon Alliance: Founder
A1CGuches is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Need to now situation
A1CGuches's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to A1CGuches
Its been said before...i put the spray in liner and you will be so happy with it....i have had 4 inches of mud and clay in the back of my truck before i sprayed the pressure washer over it for a few minutes and it looks likes new also when you haul things in the back you dont have to worry cargo slipping and sliding around. You dont have to get a rhino..look around there are plenty of other brands that are cheaper and just as durable..plus it will raise the value of your vehicle
Old 12-18-2007, 11:57 AM   #18
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

nd's Tacoma Gallery
I dont think a spray in liner will raise teh resale value of a truck that comes with a composite bed. If i were buying a truck that i knew had a composite bed from teh factory, i wouldnt even notice if it had been sprayed. and if someone tried to jack up the price for it i definately wouldn't pay it. its a bed, its suppose to be scratched, thats what the original liner is for.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:03 PM   #19
Oregon Alliance: Founder
A1CGuches is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Need to now situation
A1CGuches's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to A1CGuches
lol yeah good point, of course i am also the guy who tore everything out of a 98 wrangler and spray lined the floor...so let me rephrase what i said, if you are going to be using your truck to play in the mud i would recomend a spray in liner....what is a composite liner?
Old 12-18-2007, 12:29 PM   #20

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1CGuches View Post
lol yeah good point, of course i am also the guy who tore everything out of a 98 wrangler and spray lined the floor...so let me rephrase what i said, if you are going to be using your truck to play in the mud i would recomend a spray in liner....what is a composite liner?
the 2nd gen's come with a "composite lined" truck bed. Our beds are made out of a composite mateial that is pretty much the same as a bed liner. Our trucks dont have metal beds.... at all. The beds themselves are suppose to be stonger and lighter than steel (dont know if thats true or not) and the exposed part of the bed is already lined with the equivilant of rhino liner (except its not spayed on). Thats why i dont understand why he cares if his bed gets scratched. It would be like you getting your bed rhino lined and then complaining cause it got scratched. its thick rough black plastic, who cares what it looks like?

BTW, spraylining the floor is an awesome idea if your rig is solely for offroad.

Here is a pic of what the factory beds look like. i hope it works...
Attached Thumbnails
Spray painting the bed?-06tacomadetails06.jpg