Roll Bars???

Old 01-09-2008, 01:44 PM   #21
Banned
danusa will become famous soon enoughdanusa will become famous soon enough
Army: Para Ranger, Inf. SF CIB
danusa's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charli View Post
I was referring to the roll bars not the gun racks--sorry for the mix up! Unless I missed something, Big Sky is all gun racks.
When I spoke to them I understood that they sold a bar on the electric release racks that screws to the 3" headliner rail on the taco. With the 3 gun racks as cross brace, the roof is unlikley to fold. The taco has steel side beams.
OK they make mounts for roll bars. You might have to Gall`s or Streicher`s for the bar. Streicher`s is cheaper. The Co. uses them.
would suggest the ELS-270 set up for a 870 Pistol Grip.
Thank you for your inquiry,

Big Sky Racks, Inc.
25-A Shawnee Way
Bozeman, MT 59715
406-586-9393
800-805-8716
Fax 406-585-7378
Email
Old 01-16-2008, 06:10 AM   #22
L_Jackson is on a distinguished road

Army: Avenger Crew Member - 1st Cav 98-01
L_Jackson's Tacoma Gallery
I finally got it mounted up.... i LOVE it..... looks like my driver's side back light might be a little lower than the rest.... they are all a little lower than i would like, but if i raise 'em, i can't get in my garage!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Roll Bars???-rollbar1.jpg   Roll Bars???-rollbar2.jpg   Roll Bars???-rollbar3.jpg  
Old 01-16-2008, 11:10 AM   #24
Stealer of Souls
Charli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chuck?
Charli's Tacoma Gallery
Looks AWESOME! I'm totally jealous! Hubby would be thrilled if I found one because with lights I wouldn't be able to get in the garage, and he would get it! LOL! He was hoping that the lift would give him the garage, but I still have 3 inches to spare, hehe!

Danusa:
Thank you for the info--mostly I'm looking for one like LJacksons--more for show and lights!
Old 01-16-2008, 12:54 PM   #25
Land of Oz
rhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rhoppas's Tacoma Gallery
Whoa! That looks awesome. That is a bad ass lookin truck. If I recall you got it second hand. Do you know who sells that roll bar? How did you ultimately mount it?
Old 01-16-2008, 01:37 PM   #26
L_Jackson is on a distinguished road

Army: Avenger Crew Member - 1st Cav 98-01
L_Jackson's Tacoma Gallery
i did the get the bar second hand, found it on craigslist.... it was supposedly for a dodge dakota....if you look at earlier pics, you see the back bar really high, well NO truck bed is shaped like that, they are all flat.... the front bar was longer, so i reversed and modified the brackets so they would mate up like that, and all four post bottoms hit the ground, nice and level.

once i had them like, i poped off the plastic bed rail covers. they just snap off when you pull 'em up (and one plastic "pop rivit" type snap near the tail gate)

now that i had a metal bed rail under the plastic cover, i drilled a couple holes in the bed rails for the bolts. but FIRST, i plased the roll bar on top the plastic bed rails and marked where they would go, then cut out circles so the roll bars would go down the holes in the plastic and mount to the metal bed.

got my holes cut and holes drilled for the bolts. put the plastic cover back on, set the roll bar down in the plastic holes, and then i ran my bolts up from the bottom into the roll bar.

that "would" be how i'd do it if i did now..... last night, i had those plastic covers on and off about 5 times haha

thanks for the possitive responses!!!!! i worked hard on it and took forever to find it..... thanks all!
Old 01-28-2008, 04:17 AM   #27
ScottTRD is on a distinguished road
ScottTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Here is a TRD Hilux with roll bar.
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/trd-h...oncept/172577/
Old 01-28-2008, 06:15 AM   #28
350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

350TacoZilla's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 350TacoZilla
hey L jackson...thats not really a roll bar...thats a light bar or bed bar...roll bars are the metal tubing ones that go the whole way to the bed floor like I have in zilla (made it in high school with help)
Old 02-04-2008, 09:20 AM   #29
Banned
danusa's Tacoma Gallery
The Taco has a 3" headliner rail. If you bolt in a gun rack, you have a roll bar.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:30 AM   #30
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by danusa View Post
The Taco has a 3" headliner rail. If you bolt in a gun rack, you have a roll bar.
Either my sarcasm detector needs adjusting or your statement frightens me.

When I pulled the headliner down in my '06 there was nothing under it worth keeping, let alone worth trusting for my protection. The only bar up there was a piece of stamped sheet metal with foam on the top, presumably to keep the roof tin from rattling. Is that what you're referring to?
Old 02-04-2008, 09:52 AM   #31
Banned
danusa's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
Either my sarcasm detector needs adjusting or your statement frightens me.

When I pulled the headliner down in my '06 there was nothing under it worth keeping, let alone worth trusting for my protection. The only bar up there was a piece of stamped sheet metal with foam on the top, presumably to keep the roof tin from rattling. Is that what you're referring to?

That is not what Toyota told me on my `06 Access Cab. I called the # in the Owner`s Manual. I spoke to parts the svc Mg and sales first. No one knew.
I plan on installing the Big Sky overhead racks. Which I have.
I am going to be really unhappy if I find what you decribe.
When I am unhappy everyone is unhapppy.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:58 AM   #32
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That is not what Toyota told me on my `06 Access Cab. I called the # in the Owner`s Manual. I spoke to parts the svc Mg and sales first. No one knew.
I plan on installing the Big Sky overhead racks. Which I have.
I am going to be really unhappy if I find what you decribe.
When I am unhappy everyone is unhapppy.
Alright everybody, brace yourselves. This is what's up there without the headliner. Maybe the guy you spoke with was referring to the area above the rear glass?

Old 02-04-2008, 10:26 AM   #33
Banned
danusa's Tacoma Gallery
Well, you did not just make my day.
I am going to send this to my dealer.
There is no point in learning the hard way.
I was planning a rim fire, a center fire and a shotgun.
Loaded, this is some weight.
Any ideas?
Old 02-04-2008, 10:52 AM   #34

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well, you did not just make my day.
I am going to send this to my dealer.
There is no point in learning the hard way.
I was planning a rim fire, a center fire and a shotgun.
Loaded, this is some weight.
Any ideas?
Cage the whole cab.

You're probably looking at having some square tube welded sideways across the top of the cab. The areas above the door opening are strong enough mounting points for your needs and the square tube will give you something flat to attach your rack to.

Beyond that it's a matter of appearance and how cleanly it could be made to work with the headliner. Definitely keep us posted when you make a decision. I'd love to see how this comes out!
Old 02-04-2008, 11:03 AM   #35
Banned
danusa's Tacoma Gallery
I may have to cage the cab.
I can`t have it look worse than our Crown Vics.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:16 AM   #36

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I can`t have it look worse than our Crown Vics.

If you're anywhere nearby I have a great shop in central NJ that now knows these trucks inside and out. Aside from that, I'd be happy to help out where I can. My cage is just about done and I have a pretty good idea of what will and won't work at this point.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:48 PM   #37
Banned
danusa's Tacoma Gallery
I am much obliged. I am in WI at the moment.
However, I would appreciate any advice.
Toyota said this would work and I have the gun racks. Which are not cheap. The weapons cost less when I bought them 40 yrs. ago.
I am a Marshal. I report to the township council and sorta to the police and fire commission.
I may have to eat this idea.
It won`t kill me, but I`d like to make it work.
I`m a servant in the end anyway.
I could have tagged on with the last Sheriff`s order. BUT OH NO I wanted a Taco.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:46 PM   #38
esanvilla is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Air National Guard
esanvilla's Tacoma Gallery
I would like to see how that looks on a short bed. It looks good on the regular bed but I think it would look better on the short.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:59 PM   #39
Carolina Alliance: Overseas Division
Oxian is on a distinguished road

Army: Armorer SPC, A Btry 1st of the 82nd Field Artillery, Ft Hood Texas
Oxian's Tacoma Gallery
I would love to know if anyone has yet to find anything remotly close to this.

Heres what i found
Light Bar
---
http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/s...s_sportbar.htm

Another light bar
---
http://www.truckstoreusa.com/store/p...t-6ft-bed.html

Unfortunatly Both of these links are for the Short bed... DAMN IT!!!
Old 03-26-2008, 08:12 PM   #40
esanvilla is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Air National Guard
esanvilla's Tacoma Gallery
Light bar

If you notice on the first link it lists regular cab short bed. I think they are calling all of the beds for the Taco short. Almost every aftermarket website I have been to has called the longbed a shortbed. So it might work.