1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Roll Bars???

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by L_Jackson, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Dec 15, 2007 at 12:58 PM
    L_Jackson

L_Jackson [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2007 Black Sand Pearl PreRunner Acce
    Tinted Windows, Tow Hitch, 3" Toytec Lift, American Racing Outlaw II Wheels, Cooper Discoverer 33's, Aries Bull Bar w/ (2) 5" Lights, Nerf Bars, Fog Lights as DTR Lights, Roll Bar w/ (4) 5" Lights, Sony Speakers, 2 Extra Tie Downs
    Personally, i think roll bars kick @ss!!!!!! our trucks have been out since 05, how come no one makes a set for our truck yet?? or do they and i just cant find 'em??

I want some that look like this pic.....

what does everyone else think?

roll1.jpg

Silver Taco 08 likes this.
  2. Dec 15, 2007 at 1:02 PM
    rick

rick `

Member:
    marty mcfly had those on his truck i think

3. Dec 15, 2007 at 1:06 PM
    L_Jackson

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    Tinted Windows, Tow Hitch, 3" Toytec Lift, American Racing Outlaw II Wheels, Cooper Discoverer 33's, Aries Bull Bar w/ (2) 5" Lights, Nerf Bars, Fog Lights as DTR Lights, Roll Bar w/ (4) 5" Lights, Sony Speakers, 2 Extra Tie Downs
    LMAO!!!!! good ol' marty, now i really want some. maybe i can get up to 88mph in the dilorian and go back and get his :confused: :rolleyes:

4. Dec 15, 2007 at 1:40 PM
    CornDog

CornDog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gallant, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2007 SpeedWay Blue Double Cab Tacoma
    12000 lb Milemarker Winch Warn Trans4mer Grille Guard Gear Motorsports Wheels, Pioneer Head Unit w Ipod Interface, 2 Diamond D3 10's in custom box, UWS black tool box. N-fab stepbars, 15% tint, bug deflector,ventvisors, K&N Series 77 Cold air Intake, Hi lift jack mounted, 4D-LED maglite mounted, Lund Grill Screen
    ive seen those pic'd on a blue DC. they were ok but i wouldnt spend the money. black mite look bettr. but i did see some on a taco.

5. Dec 15, 2007 at 1:56 PM
    WildcaTaco

WildcaTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab V6 TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Removed Secondary Air Filter
    The reason no one has them is due to how our trucks are built. That is with the composite bed, won't bear the weight that roll bars would put on it, that is unless you cut it all up and went down the frame then it probably would. At least that is how it has always been explained to me.

R0b0-Yota likes this.
  6. Dec 15, 2007 at 2:01 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    Go marty !:cool:

7. Dec 15, 2007 at 2:11 PM
    rick

rick `

Member:
    you will need a flux capacitor. but heres a hilux with one

hilux.jpg

8. Dec 15, 2007 at 2:26 PM
    L_Jackson

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    it appears our beds to do not have enough jiggawatts..
    GREAT SCOTT!!!

9. Jan 6, 2008 at 6:53 PM
    L_Jackson

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    I got a roll bar!!!!! it looks a little funny in the back, it stops a couple inches too high, guy said it was bought for his son's dakota, but never installed it and sold the truck.

i don't get it, all beds, dodge, ford, etc, all have straight flat bed rails, step sides included?? maybe it was cut to customize a fit for a tool box or somethin, i don't know.

anyway, i just sat it up on my bed, took some pics, and put it in the garage.... have to figure out exactly how to mount it later, and i'm gonna try to adjust the bars and stuff, see if i can get them both straight so maybe they run parallel with each other and it's stickin out in mid air.

if not, gonna see if a shop will cut me a piece to screw into the bottom to make it go completely to the bed, not real sure yet, got some thinkin and modin' to do.

also, gonna take out those two center lights, and get 4 matchin lights across the top. i thought if i couldn't fab. it so the back bar runs all the way to bed, i'd resale it. but i've changed my mind, worse comes to worse i'm gonna mount it as is.

sorry for the pics being crap, just took them and it's dark.

roll1.jpg
    roll2.jpg
    roll3.jpg
    roll4.jpg

10. Jan 7, 2008 at 6:53 AM
    L_Jackson

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    here are some better pics during the day.

roll5.jpg
    roll6.jpg
    roll7.jpg
    roll8.jpg

11. Jan 7, 2008 at 7:08 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Roll bars or show bars? Note that most of the off-the-shelf stuff will not do a thing to protect you in the event of a rollover.

*Please Please Please* don't consider them to be a safety feature once installed! Thin wall tubing not attached directly to the frame is good for holding lights, but I wouldn't even trust it as a grab point for my idiot friends riding in the bed.

Protective roll cages are not bolt-in affairs, and for that reason you won't find many companies willing to put in the R&D to develop them. All-Pro makes one for the Gen 1 Tacomas, but for the Gen 2 rigs you're looking at a full custom fabrication job.

My $0.02.

IMG_1990.jpg
    IMG_1996.jpg

ChadsPride likes this.
  12. Jan 7, 2008 at 7:11 AM
    L_Jackson

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    thanks for the input, but yeah it is strictly to hold lights and add chrome to the back ;)

13. Jan 7, 2008 at 7:42 AM
    rhoppas

rhoppas Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab V6 TRD Sport Tow
    Earnhardt Cannons, Terra Grapplers, Viper alarm, Hunter4x4 Bull Bar, 6" Pro Comp Off-Road lights, extra set of bed D-rings, Chrome exhaust tip, Metra Ipod/MP3 adapter, Garmin GPS, CarriageWorks grill, Maglite mounted to driver seat, 9" Stubbie Antenna, WeatherTech floor liners, Saddleman Neoprene seat covers, DeeZee bed mat
    And except for that back bar being too short, they look sweet. Hopefully you can get that back bar extended. I am looking forward to how you finally get it accomplished. I think those would look sharp on my truck...

14. Jan 7, 2008 at 5:43 PM
    L_Jackson

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    the back bar is too short cuz some idiot put it together backwards!!! they put the long bar in the front and the short bar in the front. i am working on modifing the top brackets that hold the top of the bars together as well as the lights, modifing them so the bolt holes will line up correctly and then i'm gonna have to do something with that bottom bracket that is bent.

i don't know if they fabricated the brackets and that is why they are wrong, i don't understand. there is no way it was originally designed that way :confused:

i don't know... i'll keep everyone posted on my progress

15. Jan 7, 2008 at 6:11 PM
    rick

rick `

Member:
    dont know if i'm diggin that look jax. but your truck is lookin pretty damn sweet.

16. Jan 7, 2008 at 6:15 PM
    rick

rick `

Member:
    after looking at the night pics. i think it may look good.

17. Jan 9, 2008 at 4:35 AM
    danusa

danusa Well-Known Member

Member:
    Big Sky makes them.
    I am more interested in something to hang a gun rack from and a four point harness.
    They are bolted to the frame.

18. Jan 9, 2008 at 5:19 AM
    Charli

Charli Stealer of Souls

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck?
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '06 Black Sand 4X4 SR5 TRD Sport V6 Access Ca
    Towing pkg with Mossberg hitch cover, Toyota tube steps, 3" Toytec lift and TSB, 1" diff drop, Tacoma World sticker, sockmonkey decals
    Cool! I want a roll bar so bad! I love that look. Never could find one either though. You give me hope! Not that I can afford custom....

19. Jan 9, 2008 at 5:38 AM
    danusa

danusa Well-Known Member

Member:
    These are for cops. They are not that pricy.

20. Jan 9, 2008 at 1:22 PM
    Charli

Charli Stealer of Souls

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck?
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '06 Black Sand 4X4 SR5 TRD Sport V6 Access Ca
    Towing pkg with Mossberg hitch cover, Toyota tube steps, 3" Toytec lift and TSB, 1" diff drop, Tacoma World sticker, sockmonkey decals
    I was referring to the roll bars not the gun racks--sorry for the mix up! Unless I missed something, Big Sky is all gun racks.

Products Discussed in

To Top