Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

DT long tube vs DT shortie headers

Old 07-23-2009, 01:09 PM   #1
Banned
bermise will become famous soon enough
bermise's Tacoma Gallery
DT long tube vs DT shortie headers

Besides the long tubes being bolt on and not requiring any welding, what are the differences between the Doug Thorley long tube headers vs Doug Thorley shorty headers? I do not street race and looking for more low rpm power and better acceleration, say from 0-40mph. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 07-23-2009, 01:23 PM   #2
Banned
johnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
johnecon2001's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to johnecon2001
Well other than the obvious one-leaves-the-cat-in thing, the shorties are 50 state legal where the long tubes are just for off road (because they remove a part of the smog system).

Also, here is the dyno chart for the long tubes.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:21 PM   #3
Banned
bermise's Tacoma Gallery
great chart, good info. I talked to a rep at Doug Thorley today and I think I will order the shorties tommorow. He said they would provide better acceleration and low to mid rpm power than the long tubes. Can't wait.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:32 PM   #4
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Thumbs up

Good on you. You will love your truck even more afters installing them Headers...
Old 07-23-2009, 04:45 PM   #5
Banned
bermise's Tacoma Gallery
Ok now gadget talked me into buying the long tubes. Last mind change for me.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:17 PM   #6
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermise View Post
Ok now gadget talked me into buying the long tubes. Last mind change for me.

LOL... You will love those even more, and way easier install.

Enjoy...
Old 07-23-2009, 06:58 PM   #7
Banned
bermise's Tacoma Gallery
These long tubes will pass emissions in Texas right? I know not in California. Where are you roxspin72
Old 07-23-2009, 07:04 PM   #8
Front sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: SeaBee
Front sight's Tacoma Gallery
I know they are diff moters, but in my 99 stang I 1st bought shorties. They gave a little gain. A few yrs later I bought long tubes. I felt more power with the lt's and my track times reflected it aswell.

Dominik
Old 07-23-2009, 07:06 PM   #9
Banned
bermise's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Front sight View Post
I know they are diff moters, but in my 99 stang I 1st bought shorties. They gave a little gain. A few yrs later I bought long tubes. I felt more power with the lt's and my track times reflected it aswell.

Dominik
Good to know, thanks for the input. I feel better already about my purchase.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:10 PM   #10
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting torque spike at 3500 and 4200 rpm with those headers......I wonder if they are tuned...
Old 07-23-2009, 07:16 PM   #11
Banned
bermise's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Interesting torque spike at 3500 and 4200 rpm with those headers......I wonder if they are tuned...

tuned? Don't scare me now Chris
Old 07-23-2009, 07:46 PM   #12
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
tuned? Don't scare me now Chris
Not trying to scare ya, but the power gain they advertise happens in a specific RPM range. From 3500 to 4200 rpm. Everywhere else, there is not much gain over stock. Being as there is a spike in the power, it leads me to belive they are not a tuned header, and their optimal efficiency is only at that specific rpm. A propperly tuned header should give a solid gain over the stock one at all rpm with no spike.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:52 PM   #13
Banned
johnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
johnecon2001's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to johnecon2001
Quote:
These long tubes will pass emissions in Texas right? I know not in California. Where are you roxspin72
There was a guy on Toyota Nation that passed the sniffer with the long tubes. I can't find the thread at the moment.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:12 PM   #14
Banned
bermise's Tacoma Gallery
How accurate is the dyno chart above for our tacomas. It is for a FJ cruiser and the max hp is 193. Isn't the tacoma more hp than that stock?
Old 07-23-2009, 08:16 PM   #15
Banned
bermise's Tacoma Gallery
Here is one on a xrunner with DT long tubes & DT cat back. It looks like it is more tuned, liked Chris mentioned above. Link below

http://www.dougthorleyheaders.com/view.just.image/src=/ecom/images/product/218.348.600x400.2008toyotatacoma_headers_and_catba ck.png
Old 07-23-2009, 08:19 PM   #16
Banned
bermise's Tacoma Gallery
And a clip of the above truck:

<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/olg_Er1nBSQ... name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/olg_Er1nBSQ..._embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="349"></embed></object>
Old 07-23-2009, 08:25 PM   #17

Quote:
How accurate is the dyno chart above for our tacomas. It is for a FJ cruiser and the max hp is 193. Isn't the tacoma more hp than that stock?
It all depends on the dyno, and the ambient conditions. Its normal for one dyno to have a reading 30 or so hp from another one. I use the same dyno and conditions when I try something, so I know if there really IS an improvement or not.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:00 AM   #18
Banned
bermise's Tacoma Gallery
I hope my taco is never at 193hp at its peak, that would suck. The chart from the link above for our acutal truck shows better gain throughout the rpm range with the long tube headers. Here is what a guy from autoaccesories wrote me in a email:
Hello,

Thank you for your email. Long tube headers are better for producing lower RPM torque. Shorty headers are easier to install. That would be the main difference.

I am glad I did not buy from this guy. He seems a little confused.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:07 AM   #19
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
great chart, good info. I talked to a rep at Doug Thorley today and I think I will order the shorties tommorow. He said they would provide better acceleration and low to mid rpm power than the long tubes. Can't wait.
So the shorties will provide better performance that the long tubes? And they are legal.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:14 AM   #20
Banned
bermise's Tacoma Gallery
Thats what the salesman at Doug Thorley told me. But a few members on here have upgraded from shorties to long tubes and have noticed increased power throughout the rpm range. There was also an article about long tube vs shorties in the Truckin magazine that noted increased power. I know they are illegal in California.