Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

What percent tint should I get??

Old 04-03-2008, 11:14 AM   #21
tacomanub08 is on a distinguished road

tacomanub08's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacomanub08
I got mine tinted to match the back windows. It looks awesome, btw I live in San Diego and I've driven by lots of cops since I got it done.. Not a single one has pulled me over. Guess I'm just lucky or maybe cops are getting smarter and aknowledging the fact that some laws are just stupid (pft yeah right).
Old 04-03-2008, 11:18 AM   #22
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye one View Post
Thanks for the link, I think the Delaware law is incorrect in that link. It says 70% light must pass but I called around to different tint shops who all indicated it's illegal to put any tint on the front windows unless you have a doctors note. Some tint shops won't even do the work. My brother had 35% which is good for MD but Delaware made him take it off.
It's wrong about California too. The site says the film must allow 70% light. CHP says no tint. You can put ultraviolet reducing film on the window as long as it's clear and is not bubbled.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:31 AM   #23
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomanub08 View Post
I got mine tinted to match the back windows. It looks awesome, btw I live in San Diego and I've driven by lots of cops since I got it done.. Not a single one has pulled me over. Guess I'm just lucky or maybe cops are getting smarter and aknowledging the fact that some laws are just stupid (pft yeah right).
Nope, you're just lucky. I've been ticketed for light tint and I know of two others who have been (one light tint, the other dark). It's just a fix-it ticket though

One exception is if you have a doctors note. Then you can get tint up to 35% blocked. The section that deals with tint is 26708.1 & 2 (26708.1 exception 10 for doctor's exception).
Old 04-03-2008, 03:32 PM   #25
AKA "06tacosport"
Lunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beth
Lunercrab's Tacoma Gallery
So i'm from pa and pa law states:
Front Side WindowsMust allow more than 70% of light in.

i'm kinda blanking out here...would i be ok with 35% tint then?...i wanted to match the factory rears, but i'm guessing 20% would be pushing it right?
Old 04-03-2008, 03:55 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06tacosport View Post

i'm kinda blanking out here...would i be ok with 35% tint then?...i wanted to match the factory rears, but i'm guessing 20% would be pushing it right?
35% tint would be 65% light in. The higher the tint, the less light gets through. Since they require greater than 70%, 20% would be fine (80% light through). Less tint = less dark. 0% tint would be clear (100% light in).
Old 04-03-2008, 08:48 PM   #27
tacomanub08 is on a distinguished road

tacomanub08's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacomanub08
match the back and be a rebel! (looks the best)
Old 04-03-2008, 10:46 PM   #29
awoit will become famous soon enough

awoit's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to awoit
i got 15% all around and i live in san jose, CA and i havnt been hassled by any cops so far (knock on wood). From personal knowledge i wouldnt go any darker than 15. 5 (limo) is so dark at night its impossible to see out of ur rear view mirror, and the same goes for your side windows
Old 04-03-2008, 11:40 PM   #30
Lifetime Member
CtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CtryBoyInMT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrjohnson View Post
35% tint would be 65% light in. The higher the tint, the less light gets through. Since they require greater than 70%, 20% would be fine (80% light through). Less tint = less dark. 0% tint would be clear (100% light in).
That is not correct.
0% VLT tint is opaque (Harder to see through)
100% VLT tint is more transparent (Easier to see through)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06tacosport View Post

To answer the question, your probably not able to apply any film. Since the factory windows glass (It really isn't 100% clear) with it's UV coating already, reduces the VLT to approx. 80% give or take. Not only that, but you should read the law carefully because some states state: Windows must allow more than 70% of light in, but don't allow film. This means that only a factory glass can be used.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:45 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtryBoyInMT View Post
That is not correct.
0% VLT tint is opaque (Harder to see through)
100% VLT tint is more transparent (Easier to see through)
You're right. I was thinking in terms of reflection rather than transmission.