1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What percent tint should I get??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Stumeister, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Dec 15, 2007 at 7:09 PM
    Stumeister

Stumeister [OP] Carolina Alliance: Dirty South Division

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner sr5 4x4
    Hey guys I want to get my tacoma windows tinted but I don't know by how much. I was wondering how much you guys got yours tinted. I like my privacy but I don't want it super super dark. Any ideas/pictures of yall's tints?

Thanks

2. Dec 15, 2007 at 7:17 PM
    rick

rick `

Member:
    depending on your state law. i believe 20% is a shade lighter 5% (limo)

3. Dec 15, 2007 at 7:28 PM
    sschulz

sschulz Member

Member:
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 4X4 TRD Sport LB
    I have 35% on the front (Hawaii Law) and the back just has the factory 25% not too bad. Just remember that if you add to the back that you have to take in consideration the first 25%.

4. Dec 15, 2007 at 8:54 PM
    L_Jackson

L_Jackson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2007 Black Sand Pearl PreRunner Acce
    Tinted Windows, Tow Hitch, 3" Toytec Lift, American Racing Outlaw II Wheels, Cooper Discoverer 33's, Aries Bull Bar w/ (2) 5" Lights, Nerf Bars, Fog Lights as DTR Lights, Roll Bar w/ (4) 5" Lights, Sony Speakers, 2 Extra Tie Downs
    im not sure what i have, i think i have 20 on the all doors and either limo or 20 on the back, whatever tx law allows....

hahah your askin us and none of us know, shoulda asked someone else!

5. Dec 15, 2007 at 9:07 PM
    jmlromero09

jmlromero09 Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Sport Speedway Blue
    aux plug in, 5% tint all around, billet grille, TRD seat covers, 3" Tuff Country lift, 17" Pro Comp 6005 Wheels, 285/65 BFG AT K/O tires, XM radio, Viper 5901 Alarm System
    i have 5% on the front and 15% on the back on top of the factory 35%.. its illegal but in nm its not enforced

6. Dec 15, 2007 at 11:29 PM
    spencer_hong

spencer_hong Well-Known Member

Member:
    Palos Verdes, SoCal
    Vehicle:
    BlackedOut 07 DC
    K&N Air Charger CAI 63 Series, Flowmaster Delta 50 Series Muffler, Helo Maxx6 Black Wheels 17'', Blacked out headlights, blacked out tail lights, interior neon,, Luminics H4 Pure Blue headlight bulbs, Luminics H10 Pure Blue Fog Light bulbs, 10% tint all around, blacked out emblems, Pioneer In-Dash DVD
    stock tint on rear windows is 20%. i got 20% on my front to match and it was around $60. when youre parked in a bright area you can see through the windows, i'd honestly suggest going 10%, it'll look great and wont look too dark.

7. Dec 16, 2007 at 9:46 AM
    PatheticJoe

PatheticJoe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 TRD Sport - Access Cab
    So you took the philosphy that CA cops won't enforce the front windows I guess. Did you have a shop do the tint? Did they give you any crap about them being illegal?

8. Dec 16, 2007 at 10:16 AM
    spencer_hong

Member:
    Palos Verdes, SoCal
    Vehicle:
    BlackedOut 07 DC
    K&N Air Charger CAI 63 Series, Flowmaster Delta 50 Series Muffler, Helo Maxx6 Black Wheels 17'', Blacked out headlights, blacked out tail lights, interior neon,, Luminics H4 Pure Blue headlight bulbs, Luminics H10 Pure Blue Fog Light bulbs, 10% tint all around, blacked out emblems, Pioneer In-Dash DVD
    I went to a local place called Audio Matrix. It's run by a couple of rich arab guys and they just have ridiculous sound systems and great prices. They do tint, sound systems, alarms, rims. My tint was about $60 for the front 2 windows, alot of places run the price up WAY higher than that.

Nobody in CA will really hassle you about putting tint on, if thye do they must be in a bad mood or just straight up a prick. I've had friends have dealerships ask if they wanted to tint the front when they bought the car.

9. Dec 16, 2007 at 11:33 AM
    PatheticJoe

Member:
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    $60 is a great price. The local place up here wants $95 for the fronts and $150 for the sides and rear slider. I will still have it done but I think I need to shop around some more. Too bad gas isn't cheaper or I'd drive down to SoCal to have it done.

10. Dec 16, 2007 at 11:36 AM
    PatheticJoe

Member:
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    BTW, I went here to determine state laws on this stuff if your interested.

http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/

11. Dec 16, 2007 at 4:53 PM
    CornDog

CornDog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gallant, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2007 SpeedWay Blue Double Cab Tacoma
    12000 lb Milemarker Winch Warn Trans4mer Grille Guard Gear Motorsports Wheels, Pioneer Head Unit w Ipod Interface, 2 Diamond D3 10's in custom box, UWS black tool box. N-fab stepbars, 15% tint, bug deflector,ventvisors, K&N Series 77 Cold air Intake, Hi lift jack mounted, 4D-LED maglite mounted, Lund Grill Screen
    i got 15% on the 2 front sides and a 15% strip on the windshield actin like a visor. that really helps keep light out of cab and keeps it dark at nite. cant see me in the cab at nite and BARELY durin the day. plus it matches up close with the factory tint. only prob. is i was told the factory tint is mirror tint. and i couldnt find mirror tint n any shops where i live. u can see urself like a mirror in the back but not in the front.

12. Dec 16, 2007 at 5:01 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    I say stay legal but it's your call. I used to run around Jersey with the fronts tinted (not legal to tint fronts in NJ) and I'd get a warning every so often. Depends on what you want to deal with. At 36, I don't feel like getting pulled over, which they do around here in the winter months (no tourists so they nitpick locals), so I have the legal 27% and it matches up fairly well.

13. Dec 16, 2007 at 10:27 PM
    spencer_hong

Member:
    Palos Verdes, SoCal
    Vehicle:
    BlackedOut 07 DC
    Dude it's really not legal to tint your front windows at all but shit everyone does. No one is going to get caught or a ticket for it unless you piss off someone. end of story.

14. Dec 17, 2007 at 5:47 AM
    deepsee

deepsee Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    ALABAMA
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC Black TRD OR Pkg
    LED dome,map,fog,and backup lights. AMP Bed extender, black badges, bed mat, weathertech window visors, weather tech floor mats front and back, Grillcraft black mesh, console and glove box organizer, tinted windows.
    I went to the tint shop and had them match tint from the back windows on my dble cab and they put 15% on the front now it matches looks good im in FL state law is 28% but dont know anyone who has gotten pulled over. But im going back to VA where the law is 35% on back window and 50% on the sides ive gotten my share of tickets there, i will just keep my trucks FL plates

15. Dec 17, 2007 at 7:07 AM
    AZsurfer13

AZsurfer13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 Regular Cab Tacoma
    Total Chaos 3" Coil Over and Control Arms, 15" American Racing Mojave's, 31" BFG A/T, Doug Thorley Ceramic Coated Header, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust, AFE Stage 2 Cold Air Intake, 20% Tint. (All work done by SDHQ Offroad, www.sdhqoffroad.com)
    I put 20% tint all the way around and it looks great and makes it cooler in the summer. Its also is not too dark at night either, still able to see clearly, at least in my regular cab.:)

16. Dec 17, 2007 at 9:55 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    They do in San Diego. I got a fix-it ticket for light tint on my car's front windows. I know a friend who gets tickets all the time for tinting.

17. Dec 17, 2007 at 5:31 PM
    PatheticJoe

Member:
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    That's good to know. I think I'll stay legal while I'm in CA at least.

18. Dec 17, 2007 at 7:18 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Ah, the old "but everyone does it" defense.

19. Apr 3, 2008 at 10:37 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I have a friend who's daughter just got a fix-it ticket for window tint on the front windows. It was light tint on the front (5%). It happened about a month after she got it tinted. I remember telling him when she got it that she could be ticketed for it. She was pulled over specifically for that.

20. Apr 3, 2008 at 10:59 AM
    eye one

eye one Well-Known Member

Member:
    I am trying to go dark as possible. I carry a couple metal detectors in the cab ($800 each) and don't want prying eyes looking.

Thanks for the link, I think the Delaware law is incorrect in that link. It says 70% light must pass but I called around to different tint shops who all indicated it's illegal to put any tint on the front windows unless you have a doctors note. Some tint shops won't even do the work. My brother had 35% which is good for MD but Delaware made him take it off.

EDIT: Here's a PDF with State Laws I think is the same I think;
    http://www.iwfa.com/iwfa/Law_Chart/State Law Chart 7-19-07.pdf and another link that indicates 70% http://www.tintdude.com/laws.html
    Makes me wonder why tint shops say "no tint" yet the State law in De. say 70% light must pass. Is this a conflict or am I not understanding something?

Not end of story, in Delaware you got to run the vehicle through inspection every 2-3 years and they check.

Products Discussed in

To Top